PDA

View Full Version : New solar set up

threedogs
30th September 2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111467255774?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Going to get this panel when I get back from fishing, too short notice to get it before I leave.
It will return more than I use, thanks to LED lighting.
Seems like good value to, my old panel was an EX telecom number for remote phones,
so it already had a few years on it before I brought it back in 94 for $150.
It has done its job now time to up grade, I'll retain the REG as it a good one from Piranha.
I'll just take my smaller panel to put something back in if only a little as it takes up no room

Plus 25 yrs warranty on the panel output

Bob
30th September 2014, 02:22 PM
I will show you my setup this weekend.
Looks good value but I would beef up the Cabling and also move the regulator closer to the Battery being charged.
Comments by a self taught idiot tutored by Cuppa LMAO

macca
30th September 2014, 02:29 PM
Throw the old panel on the roof of your shed and use it to keep batteries fully charged that you don't use all the time.

Mate had a Subaru WRX STI plus half the alphabet, the immobiliser discharged the battery and he couldn't get into the thing. Then there was some gadget that needed a code to start it, it had to be transported to a stealer to reset.

Any way he put a panel on it when parked after that!

threedogs
30th September 2014, 02:35 PM
I do have an outside manland thing that I want to have a car radio running via a battery,
This may just be what I need, but the panel is old even 50% would still work, Thanks Macca,
I don't run much 12v gear at camp don't have the need, Fridge and LED flood lights is all I need

alfonso
7th October 2014, 09:22 PM
Just noticed that seller states in features that it has a mppt controller .Then in item including list is now a pwm , it also says that panel is waterproof all panels are waterproof the controller in photo is not as connections are exposed. They spelt grade wrong 25 year guarantee for output to what percentage, not stated maybe to 1 or 2 % who knows Just reading between the lines or maybe im paranoid Alf ps look at the post from bob 2 posts down looks a bit better maybe

threedogs
8th October 2014, 03:53 PM
I will show you my setup this weekend.
Looks good value but I would beef up the Cabling and also move the regulator closer to the Battery being charged.
Comments by a self taught idiot tutored by Cuppa LMAO

Checked out Bob's setup over the weekend and will do mine very similar

sooty_10
10th October 2014, 07:54 AM
Checked out Bob's setup over the weekend and will do mine very similar

Anymore detail on Bob's setup? Or is it secret squirrel business? ;)

threedogs
10th October 2014, 08:26 AM

Not really My old set up has the reg on the panel Bob has it near the battery.
My reg is from Piranha, and must be 20ish years old still works at treat but I think my panel is lacking.
It did go 100mtrs bolted to the roof of my previous trailer down a hill on its own.
Wire size was more what I wanted to see

Bob
10th October 2014, 08:28 AM

I will set it up over the weekend and post some Pics with details.

Quite willing to share my very limited expertise LOL

PS as you are also from Bendigo you could come and have a look at it Just PM me

macca
11th October 2014, 06:22 AM
Look forward to seeing how yours is done

Bob
11th October 2014, 10:22 AM
Overview of Setup 140W Solar Panel
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/10/1.jpg?1
Battery & Redarc Solar Regulator SRP0120 20 Amp
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/10/11.jpg
Fridge 60Litre Fridge Freezer with Remote Monitor
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/10/12.jpg

The Battery is a 110AH Deep Cycle Calcium
The Redarc Regulator will charge two Batteries and you can set the Ratios ie Fridge Battery 80% and Caravan Battery 20%
and can be set for Calcium Batteries which require a higher Charge than normal Batteries
The Cables between the Panel and Regulator were obtained from Jaycar
I started the Fridge about half an Hour ago (Set to -19 degrees) and the Solar Panel is keeping the Battery fully charged whilst the Fridge Compressor is running continiously and has brought the Temperature down to -15 degrees