PDA

View Full Version : How?

NP99
26th September 2014, 10:12 AM
A simple roll over that could have been avoided

http://youtu.be/_YQlXwJ7mr4

lucus30
26th September 2014, 10:57 AM
Seemed to roll very easily but yes could have easily been avoided. Apart from the obvious ways to avoid it I wonder if front diif locks would have made a difference as you can see he looses all drive from the front as he lifts the opposite wheel and I'm guessing even a little bit of traction on the front when he put his foot down would have made a huge difference

rkinsey
26th September 2014, 02:13 PM
He was at the completely wrong angle to drive up that embankment. Front Diff locks may have made a difference but gravity has only one direction.....down.

4bye4
26th September 2014, 02:16 PM
He was at the completely wrong angle to drive up that embankment. Front Diff locks may have made a difference but gravity has only one direction.....down.
In Facebook terms "like"

Drewboyaus
26th September 2014, 02:23 PM
I have a different opinion......
I can't believe he rolled that. My 2 inch lifted GQ would have walked over that bump....even at that angle. I suspect it has more to do with the complete lack of flex in that Paj. It's as stiff as a board, that's why it tips over so far I reckon, that has meant no grip and bad angle and over she goes. Yes, a locker possibly would have helped.
Very pleased I own a Patrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

lucus30
26th September 2014, 02:30 PM
Yeah I suspect lockers may have helped but I'm with Drewboy I'm sure the the patrol could have walked over that. Obviously if he hit it head on he wouldn't have had a problem even in a pajero

Drewboyaus
26th September 2014, 02:32 PM
Wonder if it should be put down to "Flex Shot Fail". LOL

rkinsey
26th September 2014, 03:46 PM
Yeah I suspect lockers may have helped but I'm with Drewboy I'm sure the the patrol could have walked over that. Obviously if he hit it head on he wouldn't have had a problem even in a pajero

Its all about knowing the limitations of the vehicle that you drive. The patrol would definitely do something different than the Pajero but that's where the Driver needs to understand that.

I also drive a Ford Explorer with IFS torsion bar front and Leaf spring rear and it performs totally different to the GQ Patrol and I wouldn't think of putting the Explorer into positions that I would with the GQ.

Drewboyaus
26th September 2014, 04:23 PM
A Ford Exploder! That sounds like an interesting suspension setup...

TPC
26th September 2014, 04:29 PM
Its all about knowing the limitations of the vehicle that you drive. The patrol would definitely do something different than the Pajero but that's where the Driver needs to understand that.

I also drive a Ford Explorer with IFS torsion bar front and Leaf spring rear and it performs totally different to the GQ Patrol and I wouldn't think of putting the Explorer into positions that I would with the GQ.
I agree, know the cars limitations and drive accordingly.
I drove a Prado for 10 years and although it is better than a Pajero it is nothing like a Patrol on cross axle driving but the Prado was much better than the Patrol on sand.

liftlid
26th September 2014, 04:39 PM
Ft difflock would have made it worse, lockers find the bottom of a slope, that's why auto lockers are not good, that thing rolled because the centre of gravity was high due to the independent ft suspension not flexing and the wheel base being shorter than a patrol

Bulbous
27th September 2014, 07:27 AM
I agree, know the cars limitations and drive accordingly.
but the Prado was much better than the Patrol on sand.

Bollocks - it's just not possible. Nothing is better than a Patrol on sand.