PDA

View Full Version : How to remove old weather shields

threedogs
26th September 2014, 09:46 AM
Hi all I brought a set of new tinted weather shields for the front and passenger doors,
My problem is how to remove the old clear ones, they are stuck on with 3M tape.
All I can think of is fishing line some how, any thoughts ????

Sir Roofy
26th September 2014, 10:30 AM
What a bout a solvent

NP99
26th September 2014, 10:30 AM
What about combining the fishing line and a heat gun!

jff45
26th September 2014, 10:35 AM
Desolv-It does most glues. Isopropyl alcohol unsticks hot glue gun products so might be worth a try.

Stropp
26th September 2014, 10:37 AM
i think you will need to pull the shield so the tape tears and clean up with eucalyptus oil or something similar.

TimE
26th September 2014, 10:52 AM
From eHow

Instructions

Use a heat gun or blow dryer to warm the surfaces that are taped together. This will loosen the bond of the tape. Heat just until the surface is hot to the touch.

Carefully pull the taped surfaces apart. Attempt to remove the tape by grasping the edge of it with your fingers and pulling away from the surface. Remove as much tape as possible using this method.

Use a razor blade to carefully scrape off any leftover sections of tape and residue. Take care not to scratch painted surfaces, because this could cause permanent damage.

If any glue residue remains, apply a solvent adhesive remover per the manufacturer's instructions.

WD 40 can work well as a solvent

threedogs
26th September 2014, 10:52 AM
Take a prize Stropp spot on , it did come off eventually PITA, . cleaned up great with some Metho.
Happy with the result,,,, visors x 4 cost $65 off ebay $15 post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291227701152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

When I drive depending on temp I like to crack the rear window by an inch or two.
this will be great in summer for air flow on hot days IMO, even parked!

Stropp
26th September 2014, 06:32 PM
Take a prize Stropp spot on , it did come off eventually PITA, . cleaned up great with some Metho.
Happy with the result,,,, visors x 4 cost $65 off ebay $15 post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291227701152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

When I drive depending on temp I like to crack the rear window by an inch or two.
this will be great in summer for air flow on hot days IMO, even parked!

thanks mate i bought some too :)

Stropp
3rd October 2014, 07:07 PM
visors x 4 cost $65 off ebay $15 post

mine arrived today too thx 3d they look good.

Stropp
3rd October 2014, 08:47 PM
Well I must say I'm disappointed with mine, they don't sit right and the finish leaves a bit to be desired on one of the front ones, luckily I tested them prior to fitting them so I emailed the supplier and will await a reply.

Stropp
4th October 2014, 11:41 AM
the vendor will refund the money so i am happy about that.

katwoman
4th October 2014, 07:20 PM
the vendor will refund the money so i am happy about that.

Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" , Stropp? Or just a bad batch, do you think ?

Stropp
4th October 2014, 11:51 PM
Is it a case of "you get what you pay for" , Stropp? Or just a bad batch, do you think ?

Hi kat, 3d got some and they fit well according to him so I bought the same ones however mine are a shit fit and they cost about the same as genuine ones :(

bushwacker
5th October 2014, 03:58 AM
They are terrible things to remove careful use of a scraper ect and then some goo off or some similar product is the only way

threedogs
5th October 2014, 03:26 PM
Hi kat, 3d got some and they fit well according to him so I bought the same ones however mine are a shit fit and they cost about the same as genuine ones :(

Yeah all good great with the sun bearing down, only gripe is looking left you need to really look they are dark as.
My tint starting from the front is darkest legal going to Limo at the cargo area so very dark to start off with.
Still happy no regrets