PDA

View Full Version : You learn something new everyday....

NP99
25th September 2014, 05:08 PM
My youngest got caught driving in the hail storms in Brisbane today. She was some what stressed being a P plater and asked what the steaming coffee cup icon on the dash was for? I thought she may have got the icon mistaken, thinking it may have been an engine warning light, nope.

It's a have a coffee icon, you have been driving for two hours or more :) ..... I now know that. I won't ever be as knowledgable as my wife, but I'm getting closer :)

Hodge
25th September 2014, 05:47 PM
We have those warnings in some of our new trucks at work. Since our trucks idle all day, the warnings come up often.
So the joke is , every time it comes up, it's smoko time ... Not our fault the company bought us such clever equipment. Lol

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

macca86
25th September 2014, 05:50 PM
My wife's ve ss wagon beeps at you and stops the digital readout and says take a break. Got to push buttons to stop it.

Drewboyaus
25th September 2014, 07:08 PM
My youngest got caught driving in the hail storms in Brisbane today. She was some what stressed being a P plater and asked what the steaming coffee cup icon on the dash was for? I thought she may have got the icon mistaken, thinking it may have been an engine warning light, nope. It's a have a coffee icon, you have been driving for two hours or more :) ..... I now know that. I won't ever be as knowledgable as my wife, but I'm getting closer :)

What make is it? Car that is....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

mudnut
25th September 2014, 07:34 PM
My wife's ve ss wagon beeps at you and stops the digital readout and says take a break. Got to push buttons to stop it.

So, if you get caught speeding, by just a little bit, while you are distracted, to press the button, can you blame the car maker?

Avo
25th September 2014, 07:35 PM

it's a cappicinocar

NP99
25th September 2014, 07:41 PM

2004 Magna. Upgraded recently from a 92 Laser :)

NP99
27th September 2014, 02:39 PM
I learnt this today, old news for some I guess -

What is a transponder?

Car keys have become more difficult and expensive to replace since the introduction of Immobilizer Systems, which came into existence around 1997. If your vehicle was manufactured BEFORE 1997, its more than likely that a standard brass key will operate your ignition barrel and start your engine.

If your vehicle was manufactured after 1997, your car most likely has an Immobilizer built into your vehicle’s security system, which means a standard key will not start your engine.

When you turn your ignition on a copper coil antenna around ignition barrel emits a magnetic field, which creates enough power to induct a tiny voltage into the antenna of the transponder chip or RFID chip located in the head of the key. Once the chip is powered up the cars antenna is then able to read the data or the ID number off the chip located in the key and relay this code to the Engine Control Unit, or immobiliser unit inside your vehicle. If the code matches up with the information that is stored in the immobiliser/Engine Control unit, the vehicle will start. If the RFID chip has the wrong coding or if a standard key is turned in the ignition, the vehicle will not start. More often than not, trying to start the car with and un-coded key will shut the engine ECU down and completely immobilize your vehicle!

macca86
27th September 2014, 02:54 PM
Not really the button you push is on the steering wheel and the analogue speedo dial us still working so no excuses.

NP99
27th September 2014, 04:09 PM
Not really the button you push is on the steering wheel and the analogue speedo dial us still working so no excuses.

Have you been watching the grand final mate? Didn't quite understand you :)

macca86
27th September 2014, 04:30 PM
Didn't click reply with quote, it was a response to this.
So, if you get caught speeding, by just a little bit, while you are distracted, to press the button, can you blame the car maker?