PDA

View Full Version : Don't sell ya bull Bar.

the ferret
24th February 2011, 07:43 PM
MEDIA RELEASE
The Hon Catherine King MP
Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport
24 February 2011
CK006/2011

Pedestrian Safety and Bull Bars

The Parliamentary Secretary for Infrastructure and Transport, Catherine King, restated again that the Government will not be banning bull bars.

"Over recent weeks I have received strong feedback through the consultation process associated with the Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) proposing the adoption of an international standard on pedestrian safety," Ms King said.

"Following careful consideration of the views and concerns put by individuals and stakeholders, I have decided that the proposal is not suitable for Australian conditions and I have directed the Department to withdraw the Regulation Impact Statement," Ms King said.

"While the Government is committed to improving the safety of pedestrians, we also recognise that bull bars play a positive role in the safety of vehicle occupants.

"In no circumstances will the Government consider banning bull bars or contemplate any lessening of the protection they provide. We are committed to ensuring that people remain fully protected in animal strikes and other hazardous situations where bull bars play a key role," Ms King said.

Ms King has now asked Department to consult with interested parties on the options for improving pedestrian safety.:049::049::049::049::smiley_thumbs_up::smil ey_thumbs_up::smile:

Clunk
24th February 2011, 07:53 PM
That just bloomin well rocks, cheers for that Ferret

YNOT
24th February 2011, 07:59 PM
The fight's not over yet, that's just one small battle won. The anti-bullbar campaign will continue to be pushed by the likes of the pedastrian safety council so we will have to keep fighting back in big numbers as we did this time.

Tony

Maxhead
24th February 2011, 08:03 PM
Woohooo, great news.
Lets hope it stays this way for a while....somehow I have my doubts. Theres always one moron out there who thinks they know everything

trollman
24th February 2011, 08:16 PM
In the Main street of our town there are accessways for pedestrians to cross the street, the local paper wrote; 'that these areas are not 'pedestrian crossings' so drivers are not required to give way to pedestrians'.

I choose to give way to the pedestrians, 1) I can physically see they have crossed the roadway and are safely on the otherside. 2) when I as a pedestrian, and I have to stop walking for a vehicle, it requires great effort to start walking again. i.e easier for driver to apply brake.

Geraldton has high percentage of 4wd's with Bullbars.

So I consider the newspaper irresponsible for promoting the notion that vehicles do not have to give way to pedestrians considering it is a 'Main' small town street with shopping areas both sides of the road.

Soccer mums seem to think that they can run someone down and then yell abuse at them for not giving way.

Finly Owner
24th February 2011, 10:52 PM
In the Main street of our town there are accessways for pedestrians to cross the street, the local paper wrote; 'that these areas are not 'pedestrian crossings' so drivers are not required to give way to pedestrians'.

I choose to give way to the pedestrians, 1) I can physically see they have crossed the roadway and are safely on the otherside. 2) when I as a pedestrian, and I have to stop walking for a vehicle, it requires great effort to start walking again. i.e easier for driver to apply brake.

Geraldton has high percentage of 4wd's with Bullbars.

So I consider the newspaper irresponsible for promoting the notion that vehicles do not have to give way to pedestrians considering it is a 'Main' small town street with shopping areas both sides of the road.

Soccer mums seem to think that they can run someone down and then yell abuse at them for not giving way.
Penrith has same thing.

Silver
25th February 2011, 03:50 AM
Penrith has same thing.

you may find that drivers are always required to give way to pedestrians. Just how that fits with litigation around drunks who stagger out of pubs and in front of cars is a bit of an issue - the answer I think with the drunks is that they have contributed to the injury they suffer by their own negligence.

macca
25th February 2011, 08:44 AM
How about banning pedestrians using a phone for texting & ear plugs in from Ipods or phone calls while near road ways.

They might concentrate on traffic around them and wont be hit by a Hyundai or a B Double or whatever.

What ever happened to look right then left then right again before crossing a road at any point, ped crossing or not?

Macca

growler2058
25th February 2011, 03:59 PM
I live down at the Bay in SA which is a hot spot in summer for tourists and locals and the council has had to put signs up telling pedestrians to give way to vehicles as they wander around oblivious to their surroundings and if vehicles have to stop on the main drag you end up with a tram up your ar2e! quite literally. Apart from that little whinge from me if a pedestrian gets hit by my HQ kingy or my GQ with a roo bar the end result is most likely to be quite similar