PDA

View Full Version : Power Antennas

BillsGU
24th February 2011, 06:24 PM
Has anyone replaced a power antenna on a GU? Mine is playing up (wouldn't go up sometimes and now doesn't want to go up at all). I rang Nissan and they want .....................wait for it ..................wait ................are you sitting down? ........................... $480 for a new one!! I nearly choked @@!!$$

I have looked at universal replacements and I will have to modify the bracket, power connector, and the half way up function will no longer happen.

Any ideas ???????

Bob
24th February 2011, 06:52 PM
That is the same as on my GU. I am about to just replace with a Normal Ariel .I am not paying that much for a Power Ariel.

Sir Roofy
24th February 2011, 07:02 PM
Has the motor burnt out maybe a bit of lube will kick start it
i wont be paying that either

the evil twin
24th February 2011, 07:26 PM
If the motor is OK just replace the mast... about $68 for genuine Nissan last time I checked.

Only takes a few minutes.

BillsGU
24th February 2011, 07:32 PM
Motor is OK and the mast is OK. I can get inside it and fiddle about with the circuit board and get it to move. Thought someone may know of a cheaper replacement. I can "reverse engineer" the board - but it is a lot of mucking about. If there is no cheaper fix I may have to spend a weekend tracing the circuit and working out where it has gone wrong. Could think of better things to do with my weekend though !!!!!

Maxhead
25th February 2011, 09:23 AM
Does it try to up or down??, Can you hear the motor driving when it's supposed to be going up or down? If so the board and motor must be OK.
Could just be the drive belt on the mast mechanism.

BillsGU
26th February 2011, 02:03 PM
Bit the bullet and bought a universal replacement for just over $100. It was actually quite easy to fit. The antenna was exactly the same length as the Nissan one and I only had to modify the position of the attachment holes in the Nissan bracket. The wiring was simple. Cut off the existing wire and attached it to the new antenna using solder and heat shrink. That way the original power connector still fits to the bracket. Had to cut a split in the grommet so I could get it off the old cable and onto the new one. It works great - but the half way function no longer works. OK though, as I need a spare switch to control the torque converter lock up funtion for down hill off road driving.

Mad4Mud
9th September 2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the posts, guys. Mine has been buggered for some time and genuine price was, for want of a better phrase," off its head". Ebay here I come.

BillsGU
12th September 2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the posts, guys. Mine has been buggered for some time and genuine price was, for want of a better phrase," off its head". Ebay here I come.

I ended up getting the one I fitted at Supercheap.

guterra
13th September 2011, 09:32 PM
Aerpro AP176 or AP10 are the universal power antennas that will fit almost anything you make it fit into... Nissans, Toyotas, Holdens, Fords, Caravans, Boats..... Any Car audio shop should sell them. Also Autobarn, Supercheap, repco, etc will have them. And when the mast craps itself, AP12 is the replacement for it...