PDA

View Full Version : Totally stumped on winch with dual battery after reading mag

mjr350
21st September 2014, 01:29 PM
I was sitting on the can reading a 4x4 mag and it mentioned dual battery systems and the difference between a cold cranking battery and a deep cycle battery.
Obviously a CCA battery is used for hard heavy quick loads and a deep cycle is for low draw applications like fridges, led lighting etc.

Now I want a deep cycle battery for my camping needs but I'll also be fitting a winch soon.
My questions is, do I hook the winch up to the cranking battery or the deep cycle? The winch is obviously used while the engine is running but a few guys I know who drive landrovers have the winch hooked up to the aux battery.

Clunk
21st September 2014, 01:33 PM
winch to the cranker and keep your auxiliary for other accessories.

do your landrover mates have the winches connected to use 24Vdc?

mjr350
21st September 2014, 01:42 PM
No, they were 12v.

The went for a group buy on optima yellow top batteries as the auxiliary and had the winch connected to that.

Hodge
21st September 2014, 02:02 PM
Winch to main battery, everything else to aux. Main is a sprinter, aux. Is a Long distance runner. And winch needs sprint current.

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

Drewboyaus
22nd September 2014, 07:09 AM
Definitely winch to cranking battery. That said, its why I like to use marine batteries for the second battery. They give some deep cycle capability while still giving good CCA so I can jumper to the main for some extra grunt when winching if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

sooty_10
22nd September 2014, 07:38 AM
As all of above winch to main battery, as it is usually has the CCA for a winch. Aux is for all your other stuff. I have optima yellow tops in both slots so can use either but the main battery is the one connected directly to the alternator and therefore gets the best of both worlds. I am going to one day hook up a winch connect solenoid to use both.

the evil twin
22nd September 2014, 09:42 AM
snip...
Now I want a deep cycle battery for my camping needs but I'll also be fitting a winch soon.
My questions is, do I hook the winch up to the cranking battery or the deep cycle? The winch is obviously used while the engine is running but a few guys I know who drive landrovers have the winch hooked up to the aux battery.

Agrree with all above responses.

For future reference a good rule of thumb in Auto electrickery is...

If the accessory is normally but not necessarily always used when the engine is running - connect to Cranker
If the accessory is normally but not necessarily always used when the engine is stopped - connect to Auxilliary
The higher the power draw from the accessory the more the rule applies

Throbbinhood
2nd October 2014, 10:19 AM
Winch to the crank battery, and I've got a solenoid on a switch before my dual batt isolator to disconnect the batteries - so when I'm winching they are truly disconnected.

Cuppa
2nd October 2014, 12:31 PM
I was sitting on the can reading a 4x4 mag

Now there’s your problem. You’re a bloke. We blokes are just not wired for multi-tasking.