PDA

View Full Version : Setting up The Nissan where should I start?

phtest
15th September 2014, 10:57 AM
I want to use my new Nissan for long distance touring.

Where the best place to spend my money first?

eg. Suspension, tyres, snorkel, winch (or not), storage?

I'm thinking of sorting by getting some decent suspension and a mild lift.

What do people think?

threedogs
15th September 2014, 11:37 AM
Suspension would be last on the list, a snorkel would be high on my list,
winch can you do without it,?? Its a lot of weight sitting there months on end sometimes doing nothing.
Money could be spent on a front locker for similar results.
Tyres will need to be of LT construction with an All terrain giving better fuel.
I roof rack will dig into your economy as well. A decent dual battery system is a must IMO as well

Stropp
15th September 2014, 11:47 AM
if its touring, a decent suspension followed by a long range tank. make sure the suspension is suitable for all the bits you will eventually put on like lr tank, drawers,winch etc

phtest
15th September 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks... Does putting in drawers affect your suspension? I guess it does, obvious really, good point.

phtest
15th September 2014, 12:02 PM
I agree with you about the winch, I think they are overrated. I have a tirfor, bit harder to use but does the same job. Sits in the back out the way.

lucus30
15th September 2014, 12:11 PM
Dual Battery and fridge would be the first thing I'd buy for touring unless you plan to actually hit hard tracks a stock patrol is probably capable enough until you can afford suspension, lockers etc

Playmoney08
4th January 2016, 06:02 PM
Battery and fridge in my opinion. Suspension is the next thing I'm doing

MyGU8
6th January 2016, 01:13 AM
1. Dual battery
2. Depending on the touring route either long range tank or snorkel or both and/or tires
3. Roof rack / roof bars / pod
4. Fridge
5. Suspension

I would plan based on the risk of stranded to travel comfort in that order....

threedogs
6th January 2016, 09:09 AM
Bit of a dig but reason for fitting suspension last is you
can then tailor the coils to suit the weight of the Patrol

4bye4
6th January 2016, 11:15 AM
1. Dual battery
2. Depending on the touring route either long range tank or snorkel or both and/or tires
3. Roof rack / roof bars / pod
4. Fridge
5. Suspension

I would plan based on the risk of stranded to travel comfort in that order....

This would also be my choice. We do a fair bit of on road touring and dual batteries the snorkel was first priority. Suspension and tyres etc can be budgeted for if they are Ok ATM. Then yopu have the cash there when you require them.

threedogs
6th January 2016, 11:57 AM
Probably throw in a cargo barrier as well,
one for safety second so you can pack to the roof

ForgeCreekFerals4x4
6th January 2016, 03:30 PM
Ours is set up mid way between go anywhere and tour spec, the previous owner of it had it set up for touring, we use it more for play time. so the list of stuff on it is this:
2" lift and 33s
snorkel
dual batteries
cargo barrier
fridge
rear drawers
awning
winch

theres more stuff like air compressor and we've done a bit to the suspension and performance but they probably dont need to be listed here. If i had to start again and do mods for touring my top priority would be snorkel, 2' lift, good tires and winch. to me that means i can tour all day in comfort and feel safe knowning if i get stuck by taking a wrong turn, i can get out by myself with the winch. But then again my ideas of touring are probably different to the next persons.

BigRAWesty
6th January 2016, 05:34 PM
Ok so my long distance touring list would be

1- Quality tyres. . Ain't no point going bush and loose 3 tyres if it can be prevented. .
3- cargo barrier and draw system is that suits.. I've seen many systems which work well just using storage boxes..
3- long range tanks. This one depends on how remote your going..
4- bar work and possible winch. This will allow you to explore further..
5- suspension and possible lift.. make the ride nicer and handle the weight.
Throw in a dual battery setup, uhf, roof rack and snorkle for good measure and you have a tough tourer..
If you start pushing to much weight a rear tower brace may be in order too..