PDA

View Full Version : Squelching noise from clutch

fish_sparky
14th September 2014, 03:53 PM
Hi all tried to find problem in threads couldn't find anything to help.
When clutch pedal is depressed I get a squelching noise just be fore the pedal bottoms out, I have traced it to inside the clutch bell housing area.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

dads tractor
14th September 2014, 04:04 PM
A bit more history will help mate >Is the vehicle new to you ,have you recently changed ,run out of fluid ,is the clutch slipping ,and been in deep water .It sounds a bit like the slave is bypassing the piston seal at the end of the compression stroke .

fish_sparky
14th September 2014, 04:37 PM
Hi i have owned truck from new 2004 3.0L STL it has done 160000 klm haven't done any water crossings since relocating to nz 2011. Problem started 2 months ago and I thought it was slave cylinder but seems to be coming from fork area.
Cheers.

dads tractor
14th September 2014, 04:53 PM
Whats the pedal feel like if that's good then maybe the thurst bearing has some crud on it or is on the way out .

fish_sparky
14th September 2014, 05:17 PM
The pedal feels like normal, if it is the thrust bearing would it pay to replace clutch at the same time.

dads tractor
14th September 2014, 06:34 PM
I would keep it going for as long as I can and just put the coin away for a clutch, spigot bearing, rear welch plugs and do the full monty. Other members will be along soon and have more ideas as I'm only a bush mechanic get more opions for sure.

Kano
13th January 2015, 02:55 PM
Hi Fish-Sparky. I Have a 99 GU 2.8 Patrol that has just started making this squelchy noise to. I was hoping it was just a case of spraying some WD40 somewhere underneath.
Did you find the problem with yours or are you still driving it with the noise? I know this post was 4 months ago.

GQ Shory
4th March 2015, 10:32 AM
ive had the same problem about a year ago. in my case it was the thrust bearing.

id recommend doing the clutch at the same time unless you have recently changed it. not the hardest job but the gearbox weighs a tonne so I didn't want to pull it out again after a couple of months.

ps a gearbox jack is very handy. or ive heard of people using an engine crane from inside the cab.