PDA

View Full Version : conflicting answers for TD42

Bigcol
22nd February 2011, 11:44 PM
hey guys, I need to pick the brains of all those knowledgeable people
have my own spoon as well

I have been told some quite conflicting answers with regards to a TD42 N/A

1) don't put Turbo on, as the TD42Ti has different pistons - rings are lower on them and don't burn out the top of the piston, as the N/A's rings are closer to the top, and are prone to burning them out
1a) yeah, you can fit a Turbo no worries mate

2) don't put Gas injection on N/A, as rings are close to the top, and it will burn out the top of the piston
2a) not worth putting Gas on TD42 N/A as its a waste of time only get results of the TD42Ti
2b) makes the TD42 get up and boggie and gives extra get up and go

3)AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4) been offered a TD42Ti in pieces

dunno what to do now............................................... .................................

HELP

YNOT
23rd February 2011, 06:21 AM
1) I don't know about TD42TI having different pistons, what I do know is thousands of people have fitted turbos to naturally aspirated TD42's both silver top and black top, and had complete reliabillity. As long as the fuel system is correctly tuned to keep the exhaust gas temperature in check you will not have a problem. Get reco injectors when you fit a turbo to ensure a good spray pattern as this is another cause of high EGT's.

2) Have you had a look at the diesel gas thread on here, lots of good information in there.
Again, as long as the fuel system is in good condition and correctly tuned you will not have a problem.

2a) You will get more benefit percentage wise putting gas on a turbo diesel over a N/A diesel but whether it's a waste of time or not is a personal question.

3) Are you chasing power or economy and what is your budget?

4) What's wrong with the engine you've been offered (why is it in pieces) and how much are they asking for it?

Tony

Bigcol
23rd February 2011, 10:27 AM
thanks Tony
I'll start in a different order

2) no I didn't search (my bad) thoughts were floating through my brain, and I wanted to relieve the brain pressure, but I will be searching through them today for sure

3) probably chasing both, as I have just picked up a TD42 N/A GU with gas for touring and towing my van - haven't put anything up as yet, as have been very busy on the home front - and nearly broken budget

1) yeah, I know heaps have people have do it, and except when they screw the boost right up, they are fairly reliable - but Ive not had a diesel in 10 yrs, and never had a Turbo and they have changed OH so much since a 2H
I used to just fit extractors and a 2 3/4 exhaust for better power. was told about the pistons last night, it sounded logical, but is Mr Nissan logical?

2a) I have just been trying a simple fuel test at the moment - filled main tank, turned off gas, and want to see how far I can go on a tank of fuel (to date used 3/4 tank, and have done 450Kms)
once I have done that, I was then going to do the same with the gas turned on, and see if the power was noticeable

4) the engine was Hydraulic-ed bent N#4 conrod, its on eBay, and local and I don't know if its worth the hassle, or not

the thought was - instead of buying new Turbo kit, then an Intercooler kit, why not buy the whole engine, and use what I want / need and have factory fit & finish.

more thoughts to be thunked........................................... .........

YNOT
23rd February 2011, 12:10 PM
2) This is the main diesel gas thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?671-gas-injection-for-td42-diesel&highlight=redlands

3) I know all about being busy on the home front and broke! A naturally aspirated TD42 GU would be about a '99 model? That's what my first GU was.

1) 2H is a Toyota motor, good to see you made the switch to Nissan! Was the person who told you about the pistons a Toyota person?
The TD42 is an old school diesel, cast iron head and block, pushrods, mechanical injector pump on all except TD42TI. Unless you're trying to extract massive horsepower from the engine you won't have any piston problems.

2a) Please post the results for us to see, it will be interesting to see.

4) Very interesting. As mentioned above I had a '99 GU N/A TD42, I fitted a genuine Nissan turbo kit (off a wreck) to it along with a 3" Beaudesert exhaust. Boost was set to 11psi (that',s just what it was putting out I never adjusted it) and the fuel was wound up so EGT's peaked at 500 degrees (which is a consevative tune), no intercooler. While there are much more powerful TD42's out there I was more than happy with the power and torque it put out. I wish I had never sold that car. I would not hesitate to do the same thing again if I could find the right car.

Tony

the evil twin
23rd February 2011, 12:18 PM
2)
While there are much more powerful TD42's out there I was more than happy with the power and torque it put out. I wish I had never sold that car. I would not hesitate to do the same thing again if I could find the right car.

Tony

Thats the trick eh Tony. It's Torque that makes the car "feel" the ducks guts.

Everyone will get out of a lower powered vehicle with the Torque in the right place thinking it is more powerful, better mannered and a much nicer drive than a vehicle that has more actual power but a crappy Torque Curve or for that matter a reasonable curve but in the wrong place for the Ratios, useage and NVH characteristics.

Bigcol
23rd February 2011, 07:56 PM
well, I brought that motor, just have to go pick it up next week, and start doing an inventory of what I'm going to need to put it all on mine

cheers all for the info

YNOT
23rd February 2011, 09:15 PM
You may find as I did (I did the turbo installation myself) that the N/A block is not drilled for the turbo oil feed. I got around that by putting a T-piece before the oil pressure sender unit and had a braided line made up to run around the front of the engine to the turbo.
I also found the block not drilled for the oil drain, so I removed the sump and had the fitting that would normally be screwed into the block brazed into the sump. That also required the oil drain pipe be extended, easy enough.
For the coolant pick up I swapped in the thermostat housing from the donar engine (supplied with the turbo kit). The coolant drain I connected to a blanked off t-piece in one of the heater hoses, this also required a custom made braided hose.

Tony

growler2058
8th March 2011, 07:49 AM
I am considering a turbo for by td42 in a gq and from what I have been able to assertain it is fine as long as what tony said your fuel pump is tuned correctly and in good nick and also that you do not try for excessive boost. I think from memory it was 8psi. There was an article in a popular action magazine in the last couple of months i'll try to dig up tonight.

growler2058
10th March 2011, 03:57 PM
I am considering a turbo for by td42 in a gq and from what I have been able to assertain it is fine as long as what tony said your fuel pump is tuned correctly and in good nick and also that you do not try for excessive boost. I think from memory it was 8psi. There was an article in a popular action magazine in the last couple of months i'll try to dig up tonight.

Still looking for that article, however everything im reading says no worries turboing a non turbo td42

Bigcol
27th June 2011, 09:22 PM
this little project is still awaiting me getting the "proverbial" finger out.........

I dont want to do a "half ar$ed" job on it, and do the lot in one foul swoop

just awaiting on the Pyro & EGT guages, and a Turbo timer

then maybe
MAYBE I will get the finger out and start.

the incentive to move it up the list of things to do was
driving up Red Hill (Toodyay Rd) towing the camper fully loaded, and in some places being down to 3rd gear & 55Kms/p/hr
mind you, a friend with a '02 TD42Ti was the same towing his van up Julimar Rd to Toodyay

oh well........ more money

cheers

Bigcol
30th June 2013, 08:54 AM
dangnabit, this was soooo long ago, best I give an update hey?

well, I ended up going and seeing Matt at United Fuel over here in WA.
he fitted everything that needed doing
Turbo, Intercooler, timing, etc off the old motor for me so when looking, it looks like mine was "Factory Fitted" TD42TDi
I have been running it for the last 2 years like this, and have to say that YES it is a far better Beastie to drive, pulls like a proverbial 14yo boy

with the Gas injection, it is a lot better now when towing than it was previously pre-Turbo

again, thanks for the help at the time

cheers