PDA

View Full Version : Information on TB42s extended rotor button

patch697
1st July 2010, 09:48 AM
GQ Patrols fitted with the TB42s (carby model) run a points type Distributor which have an overly large air gap between the rotor button itself & the distributor cap.

This has been well none & documented to course problems. Some of the side effects of this large air gap is missing at idle & missing under load. This problem is amplified when running LPG but not exclusive.

To combat this problem a company in Melbourne developed an extended rotor button for the TB42s points type Distributor which has been met with great success.

Here is some pictures of the re-developed rotor button & you can find contact details at the bottom of this post.

Extended rotor Button from Performance Ignition Services. 03 98723644
Price is $80, inc GST.

They do changeovers, at $35 plus $45 deposit.
Overnight freight is from $11 if required.

http://www.performanceignition.com.au/

Cheers
Paul

GqMaverick
3rd September 2010, 11:32 PM
Do they modify the standard one ?

patch697
3rd September 2010, 11:43 PM
Yep thay do thats why thay work so well

Russell1974
13th September 2010, 12:41 AM
were abouts are these guys?

patch697
13th September 2010, 12:51 AM
were abouts are these guys?

At 47/41-49 Norcal Rd Nunawading VIC 3131

Location map

http://www.performanceignition.com.au/

Cheers
Paul

red92gq
13th September 2010, 10:43 PM
Well worth the money ,
I noticed a difference in how smooth my Maverick ran as soon as i fired it up.

sehzata
19th January 2011, 11:08 PM
i am from turkey, how can i buy?

YNOT
19th January 2011, 11:13 PM
Contact them on their website and see if you can arrange to have one sent to you.

Tony

adamsc57
4th May 2011, 09:09 PM
I also found a small improvement in power (but not economy that I can measure), and the missing at idle has virtually disappeared.

Chris

moo_r32
4th May 2011, 09:49 PM
I also found a small improvement in power (but not economy that I can measure), and the missing at idle has virtually disappeared.

Chris

thats exacly what im after!!

timbar
9th May 2011, 10:48 PM
i Need one of these babys can I get one in Perth ?????

Pandaman
17th June 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm in Perth and haven't found anyone so looks like I'm ordering from Vic, overnight delivery is only $11 anyway

Im only the rotor button away from having the best possible spark without going a race ignition

Have iridium plugs, eagle lpg leads on the way, pertronic ignition, and have the distributor grounded direct to the battery

I'll let you know in a week how it all goes

patch697
17th June 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm in Perth and haven't found anyone so looks like I'm ordering from Vic, overnight delivery is only $11 anyway

Im only the rotor button away from having the best possible spark without going a race ignition

Have iridium plugs, eagle lpg leads on the way, pertronic ignition, and have the distributor grounded direct to the battery

I'll let you know in a week how it all goes

Keep us posted mate.

patch697
17th June 2011, 11:37 PM

Well its sure not looking that way Tim, you may have to bite the bullet mate & order over from Vic.

timbar
17th June 2011, 11:38 PM
i havent installed mine yet but i got it yesterday only took 3 weeks to get it dunno what happend there !!!!

patch697
17th June 2011, 11:42 PM
i havent installed mine yet but i got it yesterday only took 3 weeks to get it dunno what happend there !!!!

install it with a new cap to Tim & stay well clear of champion mate take it from me...

timbar
17th June 2011, 11:46 PM
i put a new cap on bout a month ago and i am running NGK plugs whats ur thoughts ???

patch697
17th June 2011, 11:57 PM
i put a new cap on bout a month ago and i am running NGK plugs whats ur thoughts ???

Yeah I like NGK.... I use there V grooves in mine with a hi quality leads & a really beefed up HEI malty spark system. You get a lot out of a real good set of leads & if you don't already have some, spend the money & get some it will be well worth the money.

butters
30th June 2011, 10:31 PM

So how's it Tim??

This is on the list as well....think I'll have to put up a members ride thread eventually :D

shaunh
29th October 2011, 12:44 AM
answer to most my problems right here haha

popup
30th October 2011, 05:56 PM
I just replace my rotor button an it still pops will have to get 1 of these. Thanks for the info.

nick4884
17th November 2011, 11:26 PM

Schultz Auto Electrics in Willetton do up the extended rotors. Either take your car in or your dissy as they will make a rotor button to suit your cap! I was quoted $50. Waiting on getting my pertronix kit and coil before I get the rotor button.

Might even be an idea to get a new cap before getting the rotor made up. Hope this helps.

Robo
12th January 2012, 10:28 PM
I found that this extended rotor button decreased the miss, but at the same time power fell away.
I put this down to less spark, the smaller the gap the less power is created to jump the gap.
and if you have a smaller gap at rotor and plug, power/spark energy drops, so I found getting a compromise here a matter of a few attempts at setting, and threw the ext rotor in spare parts container for emergency use. The engine never had the same power/torque with it fitted.

And here's a few tips.
Reason plug gap needs to be smaller for LPG, its dry, a wet mist from petrol aids the spark to jump the gap and hence the gap required needs to be wider for petrol, also to stop it drowning the spark.

I also run pertronic and iridium ngk 1 range cooler, swear by ngk, and think iridium's fine design also opens up the end of plug to expose the spark, and then there's the benefit of less maintance.

Also from memory pertronic say not to use HEI as it can damage pertronic unit.
The reason for running 1 range cooler is, LPG runs hotter as we know, so this aids to keep plug temps down.
don't let someone tell ya this equals less spark, this is not true, a cooler plug dissipates its heat better into the cylinder head, and a hotter plug physically stores more heat within its body. Hence the reason a car-boned up plug will create run on simply by the heat stored in the carbon deposits.
I've got 2 yrs out of this tune so far, think what I'm doing is on the money, but every engine behaves differently.
this on ngk's web site from memory about the heat business.

hope this helps.

Hendo 70
18th January 2012, 12:26 PM
I will definately be buying one for mine, thanx ;P

gilly81
13th April 2012, 07:14 PM
I just fitted the extended rotor button to my 93 maverick on straight petrol only and I can't believe the difference. The old button was a bit shagged too but with this new one it's driving so much smoother and idling smoother. Definite increase in power and smoother acceleration.

Money well spent! Thanks for the info!

4brhino
9th June 2012, 09:52 AM
These are definitely worth spending the money on - car runs so much smoother and revs a lot nicer as well. And so easy to install!!

damaverick
17th October 2012, 01:59 AM
Is it better to get one of these or the Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit?

ckh
16th December 2012, 11:48 PM
Made my own up so now there is only about a 1.5 to 2mm air gap in the distributor, has not improved performance or power or economy, but certainly reduces the load put on the coil, noticed the coil running much cooler, still get hot to the touch, but before making my extended rotor button, could not touch coil for ages after stopping the car, was still very hot even 45 min+ with out motor running, so coil running cooler must be a good thing if nothing else may extend the life of my coil....