PDA

View Full Version : Next national meetup ideas

Stropp
13th September 2014, 01:16 PM
well im sick of waiting for AB or Mudrunner :) to put up another post for a trip so here we are, any ideas as im chomping at the bit to do another one. Any ideas for something central for everyone, there are plenty of trips over here like the csr, gunbarrel, connie sue etc etc but im thinking of something more central for everyone.

growler2058
13th September 2014, 02:19 PM
Waiting..................

threedogs
13th September 2014, 02:24 PM
Great idea, still waiting...................
Big fishing trip in the top end???

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2014, 05:29 PM
My house???

Stropp
13th September 2014, 08:07 PM
Flinders ranges, wilpena pound or meet at glendambo and cross the connie sue :)

Clunk
13th September 2014, 08:11 PM
Growlers house

NP99
13th September 2014, 09:40 PM
Didn't another thread propose Coffs Harbour?

growler2058
13th September 2014, 09:44 PM
Growlers house

Ok each guest brings a bottle of single malt for the host

TPC
13th September 2014, 10:29 PM
Ok each guest brings a bottle of single malt for the host
How many campers can you fit on your lawn?

growler2058
14th September 2014, 07:57 AM
How many campers can you fit on your lawn?

Probably 6 if theyre not set up :)

TPC
14th September 2014, 09:12 AM
Googs track.
Probably a bit far west to be called central.

macca86
14th September 2014, 09:19 AM
Coffs would be a nice trip heaps of tracks or the blue mountains

Family4x4
14th September 2014, 09:34 AM
Sunbury????

growler2058
14th September 2014, 09:36 AM
If everyone got their passports sorted we could go see Lucas in Taswegia:)

Bob
14th September 2014, 04:02 PM

Great Idea

MudRunnerTD
14th September 2014, 04:51 PM
Beachport SA for New Year 2014 / 2015😁

katwoman
14th September 2014, 05:39 PM

We like this one too..... or Flinders, or blue mountains, or.................. Fat Alberts. ( lots of fishing, bring a boat)

Bloodyaussie
14th September 2014, 07:05 PM
A Tas trip has been suggested for Sept next year already.. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27163-NP-Tasmanian-meet-up-Sept-2015-possibility

BigRAWesty
14th September 2014, 08:37 PM
January cape jaffa

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=25570

mudski
15th September 2014, 09:24 AM
Sunbury????

Lol. At MacDonalds...

liftlid
15th September 2014, 09:41 AM
Googs Track, North of Ceduna.
Try a dirt every day High country from melb to Sydney.
Border track.
Little/Big Desert

Stropp
15th September 2014, 11:54 AM
yeh guys i was trying to keep it central sort of so we from the west dont have to do huge kms again just to get there, googs or the border track would suit me :) although thats big k's anyway lol

lucus30
15th September 2014, 12:12 PM
A Tas trip has been suggested for Sept next year already.. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27163-NP-Tasmanian-meet-up-Sept-2015-possibility

Count me in for that.

SG1
15th September 2014, 05:17 PM
I would love to get involved and do a few trips with others, once I get our new second hand GU, Prob will also look at joining a club in vic to.

@GUte
15th September 2014, 08:27 PM
Tom Groggin to Dargo via Mt Pinibar and Blue Rag.

Sorry Stropp, not quite central mate.

AB
15th September 2014, 08:38 PM
I know it's not central, in fact the worst centralised part of Australia but I would love to Tassie.

Only been there three times but would love to 4wd down there and explore the bush. Tourism, history and sight seeing a plenty for anyone who hasn't been before.

Coffs is awesome too, I may be committed to a family Kimberly trip next year if the planets align but keen to go anywhere.

Australia is awesome wherever we go...lol

DX grunt
15th September 2014, 08:43 PM
Rotto? lol

taslucas
16th September 2014, 08:07 AM

I do you good deal.

I know it's not central, in fact the worst centralised part of Australia but I would love to Tassie.

Only been there three times but would love to 4wd down there and explore the bush. Tourism, history and sight seeing a plenty for anyone who hasn't been before.

Coffs is awesome too, I may be committed to a family Kimberly trip next year if the planets align but keen to go anywhere.

Australia is awesome wherever we go...lol

Would be awesome :-)

And it's bigger than you think! Haha

growler2058
16th September 2014, 08:19 PM
Would be awesome :-)

And it's bigger than you think! Haha

Settle down Winnie told me it was so little it doesn't even hang! He said it looked like a dick but heaps smaller

BigRAWesty
17th September 2014, 01:14 PM
yeh guys i was trying to keep it central sort of so we from the west dont have to do huge kms again just to get there, googs or the border track would suit me :) although thats big k's anyway lol

Are you meaning the sa vic border??

taslucas
17th September 2014, 03:59 PM
Settle down Winnie told me it was so little it doesn't even hang! He said it looked like a dick but heaps smaller

He was talking about a garlic ball

Stropp
17th September 2014, 04:57 PM
Are you meaning the sa vic border??

yes.............

growler2058
17th September 2014, 06:53 PM
He was talking about a garlic ball

Understand your eyetalyan heritage. But really? Ya balls are garlicy?

snicko
17th September 2014, 10:43 PM
Hey Stropp we would like to do more outback stuff like you suggested gunbarrel, connie sue etc

liftlid
18th September 2014, 09:27 AM
What about Morton Island?
Would make it easier for people not suited to outback touring

liftlid
18th September 2014, 09:28 AM
Hey Stropp we would like to do more outback stuff like you suggested gunbarrel, connie sue etc

Canning stock route?

taslucas
18th September 2014, 12:55 PM
Does everyone have to go to the same place or can people, for example, group together with other people that want to go to similar areas?

Stropp
18th September 2014, 01:28 PM
it would be better if we had a meetup like the simpson as you get to meet other members that possibly you wouldnt normally, im just thinking somewhere central to make it easy and less travel for us poor sandgropers

liftlid
18th September 2014, 01:49 PM
Does everyone have to go to the same place or can people, for example, group together with other people that want to go to similar areas?

I'm sure we could come up with "something special" for you!!

the evil twin
18th September 2014, 01:53 PM

By definition it then wouldn't be a "national meetup".

I also believe it should be a total experience in itself

The main problem, as always, is the geography of Oz.
Bugger all people live in the middle so eventually the middle doesn't become a viable destination if different experiences are one of the aims.

Eventually you end up somewhere near the major population centres

Personally speaking I love visiting Tassie or Qld or NT or (insert other states etc here).
Been a visitor to Tas heaps, seen lots and still have a list of bits I want to see.
I've lived in NSW, Qld, NT and WA and still have a heap of spots to visit in them as well

I think the "National Meetup" should continue and the destination should be
a) remote
b) a destination in itself and then if it lends itself to a seperate trip or activity once get you there, great
c) a couple of thousand K's or so from the destination of the prev 2 or maybe 3

EG purely hypothetically to illustrate
2014 Dalhousie
2015 Tassie (say Strahan)
2016 Cape York
2017 Googs Track or Connie Sue or whatever
2018 Gibb River Road (say Kununnurra) or CSR or Bungles
2019 West Macs/Uluru/Kings Canyon or Great Central
etc
etc

Yes, Coffs is good, (Ballina is better but I'm biased)
Yes, so is the Flinders and the WA SE Coast and the Alps and Cape Trib etc etc etc

By all means continue with "regional meetups" that the "locals" or forumites find appealing/easier/cheaper/convenient, I am all in favour of that but I just think the National Meetup should be a real out there type trip.

Not everyone will make the most of the nationals, indeed some will only make maybe 1 and many won't get to any of them but I'd like them to be lifetime memories.

liftlid
18th September 2014, 01:53 PM
it would be better if we had a meetup like the simpson as you get to meet other members that possibly you wouldnt normally, im just thinking somewhere central to make it easy and less travel for us poor sandgropers

What about setting a date and then putting out an expression of interest for numbers, seems little point catering for every state if only people from Victoria can make it?

liftlid
18th September 2014, 01:57 PM
The national meet up possibly should not be every year if your trying to make it special and the destinations should be set now for say the next 3 so people can plan holidays , car prep etc

DX grunt
18th September 2014, 03:26 PM
The national meet up possibly should not be every year if your trying to make it special and the destinations should be set now for say the next 3 so people can plan holidays , car prep etc

I agree. I have had to put my holidays in for next year, already, and it's almost impossible to change my dates.

Stropp
19th September 2014, 12:42 AM
Totally agree that every year is too much but it took 18 mths to get everyone organised for the Simpson so now is as good a time as any to get things moving, so with that said where are we going? AB

liftlid
19th September 2014, 08:05 AM
Totally agree that every year is too much but it took 18 mths to get everyone organised for the Simpson so now is as good a time as any to get things moving, so with that said where are we going? AB

AB can't run a meet up it's up to the form to sort out, maybe a couple of polls are need, date, place etc then promote

Bloodyaussie
19th September 2014, 09:05 AM
This is a hard one and I find a democracy creates so many issues whith no one being able to agree on a place and time.

The first meet I tried to arranged was such a mess but now I have done so many I know what to do and what to expect from everyone.

Far too hard to please everyone and agree on a place so maybe pick a place and just make it happen.

snicko
19th September 2014, 09:18 AM
As its technically not a "Forum meetup" but a few people doing a trip together, I think maybe a poll can be organised to see where people would like to take a trip.

Then someone needs to put their hand up as a trip leader decide where he is going and invite people to join him.

I never did any input in the Simpson Desert Trip as I did not think I would be going but only 6 weeks out we found that we could go.
Others put input into the trip and sadly found out that they could not go due to their circumstances changing.

So its going to be hard to choose where to go to suit the majority now not necessarily who will actually go. Make sense??

TPC
19th September 2014, 09:29 AM
As its technically not a "Forum meetup" but a few people doing a trip together, I think maybe a poll can be organised to see where people would like to take a trip.

Then someone needs to put their hand up as a trip leader decide where he is going and invite people to join him.

I never did any input in the Simpson Desert Trip as I did not think I would be going but only 6 weeks out we found that we could go.
Others put input into the trip and sadly found out that they could not go due to their circumstances changing.

So its going to be hard to choose where to go to suit the majority now not necessarily who will actually go. Make sense??

Do you assist politicians with speeches? :)

snicko
19th September 2014, 09:50 AM
Hahahahaha NO!! Is there a job going??

Sir Roofy
19th September 2014, 10:18 AM
Unless your well heeled,2016 would be far enough out as to where you plan on going depends on time of year
and what weather conditions are like where you go and how much time off you need to do it
the big red rock is central could be a meeting place then travel to arnemland
kackadoo and dodge snapping hand bags and buffalo

or we could just go over and camp in stropps back yard and party there

rusty_nail
19th September 2014, 10:27 AM
Unless your well heeled,2016 would be far enough out as to where you plan on going depends on time of year
and what weather conditions are like where you go and how much time off you need to do it
the big red rock is central could be a meeting place then travel to arnemland
kackadoo and dodge snapping hand bags and buffalo

or we could just go over and camp in stropps back yard and party there

can you make it april 2016, thats when im having my honeymoon and were going to central oz... haha, im sure tegan would be well impressed when we rock up to a campsite and lo and behold there 20 of my mates there hahaha, i could just imagine the disdain on tegans face!

jack
19th September 2014, 10:31 AM
Guess we are also all limited to specific time of year as well. For me Dec/Jan are out, no chance of getting away then. I'm pretty flexible for the rest of the year, my vote is the border track at this stage.

Sir Roofy
19th September 2014, 11:03 AM
can you make it april 2016, thats when im having my honeymoon and were going to central oz... Haha, im sure tegan would be well impressed when we rock up to a campsite and lo and behold there 20 of my mates there hahaha, i could just imagine the disdain on tegans face!

rock on mate nothing like mates to help enjoy your honey moon
april 2016 reckon i could be there lol

Stropp
19th September 2014, 12:34 PM
mate im happy to have you here anytime :) , i will get a few ideas for trips together and ask AB to put up an expression of interest poll.

Winnie
20th September 2014, 07:25 AM
can you make it april 2016, thats when im having my honeymoon and were going to central oz... haha, im sure tegan would be well impressed when we rock up to a campsite and lo and behold there 20 of my mates there hahaha, i could just imagine the disdain on tegans face!

Omg fancy seeing you guys here! Hahaha

rusty_nail
20th September 2014, 07:52 AM
hahaha yeah winnie, just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4Z1OYnlDM

Maxhead
20th September 2014, 07:58 AM
Soooooo 2016 it is!. Now, hows winter sound?

taslucas
20th September 2014, 08:02 AM

By definition it then wouldn't be a "national meetup".

I also believe it should be a total experience in itself

The main problem, as always, is the geography of Oz.
Bugger all people live in the middle so eventually the middle doesn't become a viable destination if different experiences are one of the aims.

Eventually you end up near the population centres

Yeah i didn't mean only people from one area meet in that area, I ment that someone picks a spot and does a poll and whoever wants to go, goes. Some will always travel further than others and you make a really good point about the middle becoming unviable. Also some destinations just aren't that attractive to some people regardless of how central they are or who else is going.

This is a hard one and I find a democracy creates so many issues whith no one being able to agree on a place and time.

That's exactly true. So the idea of a poll is good. Who's interested will vote.

The reason the Vic guys have so many small meets is because they just get on and do it. Like Jonathan says; make a date and stick to it. Unfortunately you can't cater for everyone.

Yep totally agree snicko, that was what I ment in my first comment. There's no such thing as a formal "national meet up" it's just people who make an idea and stick to it.

taslucas
20th September 2014, 08:06 AM

Yep I agree. Its more likely to be bigger and more memorable that way.
In the meantime I reckon people should take control of their own meet ups, like you Vic boys.
Also someone can say: I'm gonna drive here and meet this person and do this.....Who else wants to come?

liftlid
20th September 2014, 11:21 AM
Soooooo 2016 it is!. Now, hows winter sound?

If it's desert it needs to be winter, July school hols , less people around than sept ones

threedogs
21st September 2014, 05:45 PM
Birdsville will cater for heaps of trucks, and very central to all states.
4wd action just had 2000 vehicles there in 2013

growler2058
21st September 2014, 05:46 PM
I'll be treating Nissheads meetup in NSW Aussie Day 2015 as a national p1ssup hahahhahahaha

Wizard52
23rd September 2014, 06:59 PM
Birdsville will cater for heaps of trucks, and very central to all states.
4wd action just had 2000 vehicles there in 2013

Agree with TD. Birdsville or Alice are the most central places which could be used as the base to arrive at or leave from and have facilities for such a base.

Travellers could then just "happen" to use same road/track to get there or trave home on.

The Kimberleys is a destination a lot of people would like to see at least once in their life time and be prepared to plan/save for.

Fraser is also in same league but I'm a bit spoilt because I see it every time I look out the back door. It is still my favourite place to go to.

threedogs
23rd September 2014, 07:02 PM
Agree with TD. Birdsville or Alice are the most central places which could be used as the base to arrive at or leave from and have facilities for such a base.

Travellers could then just "happen" to use same road/track to get there or trave home on.

The Kimberleys is a destination a lot of people would like to see at least once in their life time and be prepared to plan/save for.

Fraser is also in same league but I'm a bit spoilt because I see it every time I look out the back door. It is still my favourite place to go to.

I hate you, lol
Nah lucky bugger

warner01
10th October 2014, 03:50 PM
im keen. i didnt have the funds for the simpson trip and was sad i couldnt go but im in for where ever ppl decide. i wouldnt mind seeing the big rock either.

Stropp
10th October 2014, 06:02 PM
how about somewhere like meetup at wilpena pound in the flinders spend a couple of days there and head up the oodnadatta track to marla and people can then go their own way. then they have a choice of the simpson, ayers rock the alice or stuart hwy, would be around the same time of year, july early.

4bye4
10th October 2014, 06:05 PM
x2 Flinders Ranges somewhere.

how about somewhere like meetup at wilpena pound in the flinders spend a couple of days there and head up the oodnadatta track to marla and people can then go their own way. then they have a choice of the simpson, ayers rock the alice or stuart hwy, would be around the same time of year, july early.

liftlid
11th October 2014, 02:04 PM

I like this as well

Family4x4
11th October 2014, 03:28 PM

Can I come to your place?