PDA

View Full Version : Asian traffic

NP99
9th September 2014, 08:07 PM
http://youtu.be/hyLkiCkbUjc

I know a few of you have travelled to Asia. Vietnam is my favourite location. Love the country and the people. The traffic is crazy but it works, in fact, works better than our over regulated system.

Crossing the road can be intimidating for the first couple of times then it becomes second nature.

IF YOU HAVENT BEEN.......put it on your bucket list :)

MEGOMONSTER
9th September 2014, 08:11 PM
http://youtu.be/hyLkiCkbUjc I know a few of you have travelled to Asia. Vietnam is my favourite location. Love the country and the people. The traffic is crazy but it works, in fact, works better than our over regulated system. Crossing the road can be intimidating for the first couple of times then it becomes second nature. IF YOU HAVENT BEEN.......put it on your bucket list :) Ummm..... You do know there is a thread called YOU TUBE FINDS that you can post all your YouTube finds. Lol

mudnut
9th September 2014, 08:13 PM
Wow, my head is spinning after watching that. It seems that everyone just gives way to everyone else, and expects the same courtesy.

NP99
9th September 2014, 08:13 PM
Or I could just post words with no vids or pics..... :)

NP99
9th September 2014, 08:15 PM
Wow, my head is spinning after watching that. It seems that everyone just gives way to everyone else, and expects the same courtesy.

In Vietnam they are very conscious of accidents, esp with tourists as it brings heavy penalties. It's an experience in a rickshaw out in all that traffic too...

MEGOMONSTER
9th September 2014, 08:18 PM
Or I could just post words with no vids or pics..... :)
I hope you didn't get upset, I was just wondering.
I love the vids you post.

NP99
9th September 2014, 08:20 PM
I hope you didn't get upset, I was just wondering.
I love the vids you post.

Never mate, all is good :)

AB
9th September 2014, 08:36 PM
In china it looks chaotic but it works, similar to this video.

The hooting is not road rage, it's notifying of incoming and it simply works.

Zero road rage in china, plenty of cutting in to lanes but with the amount of people on the road it all amazingly flows.

If your a pedestrian though its scary. No zebra crossings they just walk out on the road and there is an unwritten road rule that the vehicles give way...bloody scary for us westerners that are used to safe crossings.

The other thing that works well is the countdown led light numbers to red and green lights at intersections.

Playmoney08
4th January 2016, 06:12 PM
The trick is to keep a constant speed while crossing, The Western idea of trying to dodge traffic doesn't work because you can't allow the the constant speed. the first time you cross as a pedestrian is scary, after a while it gets easier!! Just got to remember that the drivers aren't out to get you (unlike some places in Australia! in my opinion)

MyGU8
4th January 2016, 06:27 PM
Fun to watch.

Coming from an Asian country (Sri Lanka) I know how the traffic works there, although not fabulous as this video.
One thing to remember though because of the high vehicle/pedestrian density on roads it is very VERY difficult to speed and GIVE way, you need to TAKE way if you want to keep moving.
As for us it has been more than eight years in Australia, I wonder how things might have changed there now...