PDA

View Full Version : Turbo's Turbo's Turbo's

Dark 1
22nd February 2011, 07:29 PM
Looking for first hand opinions/reports.

I have a denco turbo, 3 inch dump & 3 inch straight thru exhaust on my td42 gu. My problem is that the turbo only really starts working from around 2100rpm which makes it very frustrating to drive. The engine has had a dyno tune & boost is set at 13psi.
I have been thinking of a garret roller bearing turbo & intercooler. I need to have low down grunt [prefer boosting at around 1500 rpm] as we are buying quite a large van & need to tow it with the trol. Have also thought of changing the diff ratio's.

Any help & or first hand reports would be greatly appreciated.:smiley_thumbs_up:

YNOT
22nd February 2011, 08:49 PM
I can't offer a first hand report but what you are describing sounds like the turbo is too big. A smaller turbo or possibly just a smaller turbine (exhaust end of the turbo) on your current turbo will boost up earlier.
A roller bearing turbo would be better but sizing of the turbo is what's critical.

Tony

Dark 1
25th February 2011, 05:26 PM
====bump===

XLR8
25th February 2011, 06:52 PM
Do you know what model/size Denco yours is and are you running an intercooler? We fitted a Denco to a mates GQ TD42 auto with W2A intercooler and it was starting to spool up at around 900RPM. Unbelievable difference low down. Initially had straight through 3" exhaust but has since had a muffler put on to quieten the whistle down a little

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii231/XLR8777/IMGP1104.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii231/XLR8777/IMGP1102.jpg

Dark 1
26th February 2011, 12:38 AM
No mate i don't have a intercooler yet, was looking at a cross country extreme top mount. Also have no idea of size/model of my turbo only that it is a denco brand. I also have straight thru exhaust which has a interchangable muuffler section, when the mufffler is in feul economy increases considerably & power seems no different so it's not really worth having it on.
Where did your mate get the turbo from as 900 rpm would be perfect for my application.

XLR8
26th February 2011, 10:03 AM
The kit was bought through Perth 4x4 in Balcatta and we did the fitting. If you email them, they may be able to give you the specs. It is the same kit that Ash, aka The Pig (owner of Perth 4x4), runs on his comp truck and a former staff member used on his Gas Dash cars

Dark 1
26th February 2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks mate i'll have to do some investigation.