PDA

View Full Version : Odometer Reset/Recording for Engine Rebuild/Replacement

Bigrig
22nd February 2011, 11:29 AM
Howdy

Quick one, but something I never really thought of till now as I'm looking to rebuild or replace the engine.

What's the score (legally, ethically or otherwise) on resetting the odometer if you replace the engine (or fully rebuild?). I appreciate it shows the k's the car has done over it's life, but if you swap the engine out, how do you keep track (yes, record the k's when it went in I know) to actually verify actual k's travelled on the new or rebuilt engine. Just say you were going to sell it etc - do they whack a mod plate on the car for the new/rebuilt engine? Do they give you a certificate?

Probably a real simple one, but as said, not one I had given any thought to previously.

Thanks

Sir Roofy
22nd February 2011, 11:42 AM
howdy

quick one, but something i never really thought of till now as i'm looking to rebuild or replace the engine.

What's the score (legally, ethically or otherwise) on resetting the odometer if you replace the engine (or fully rebuild?). I appreciate it shows the k's the car has done over it's life, but if you swap the engine out, how do you keep track (yes, record the k's when it went in i know) to actually verify actual k's travelled on the new or rebuilt engine. Just say you were going to sell it etc - do they whack a mod plate on the car for the new/rebuilt engine? Do they give you a certificate?

Probably a real simple one, but as said, not one i had given any thought to previously.

Thanks

i always thought you recorded the milage and went fom there
theres that many rules a regs now maybe your right

patch697
22nd February 2011, 11:46 AM
You'll obviously get receipts with the new engine & if its not a retro fit (std replacement only no V8's & the likes)I don't think you'll need a mod plate & last of all keep a log book on your new engine ie... services & the likes....ppl like to see this sort of thing when buying something second hand.

I've got a folder with all the receipts from all the things I've brought & any work I've had done with a service log book so I can keep a record for myself & to show others if needed.

Hope this helps.

Bigrig
22nd February 2011, 11:48 AM
Yep - there's bound to be some form of legal requirement, but other than a scrap piece of paper you write on when you have it done, or an invoice from a supplier, what else could you rely on? If I was buying a patrol that had (for example) a chev V8 thrown in it "12 months ago" I would still want to know BOTH the total k's the car has travelled through it's life as well as the actual kilometers for the engine itself.

patch697
22nd February 2011, 11:52 AM
Yep - there's bound to be some form of legal requirement, but other than a scrap piece of paper you write on when you have it done, or an invoice from a supplier, what else could you rely on? If I was buying a patrol that had (for example) a chev V8 thrown in it "12 months ago" I would still want to know BOTH the total k's the car has travelled through it's life as well as the actual kilometers for the engine itself.

If you run a log book then the odo becomes the cars record & the log book becomes the engines record.

Bigrig
22nd February 2011, 12:04 PM
If you run a log book then the odo becomes the cars record & the log book becomes the engines record.

I hear you, but again it would come down to my 'word' (or the person you are buying it off) ... would have thought a good idea would be a mod plate with the odometer mileage at tiime of installation stamped on it - that's what I'd like anyway ... but sounds like what I would like and reality are two different things!!! LOL

patch697
22nd February 2011, 12:11 PM
I hear you, but again it would come down to my 'word' (or the person you are buying it off) ... would have thought a good idea would be a mod plate with the odometer mileage at tiime of installation stamped on it - that's what I'd like anyway ... but sounds like what I would like and reality are two different things!!! LOL

I get where your coming from now..........You will have to change your engine number unless you get your engine itself rebuilt so ask the rego office or if you have it fitted get the fitter to do a plate for you with corresponding numbers off the engine number & the receipt number along with the Odo reading at the time.....If it has the engine recoer's name on it ppl with think its for warranty purpose so it would be legit........Just an idea anyway.

Bigrig
22nd February 2011, 12:18 PM
I get where your coming from now..........You will have to change your engine number unless you get your engine itself rebuilt so ask the rego office or if you have it fitted get the fitter to do a plate for you with corresponding numbers off the engine number & the receipt along with the Odo reading at the time..... Just an idea anyway.

Yep - thanks mate. When I do it, that's the plan - even if I have to pay for it, I'd rather a mod plate riveted to the car with the details like a compliance plate but with additional info like the kilometre's when changed over.

the evil twin
22nd February 2011, 12:32 PM
First off it is illegal to change the Odometer so that can't be done

A plate's not a bad idea I spose... but can be just as easily bodgey'd as a Log Book if someone wanted to go to that length.

If you change the engine then the date of the change and kilometres is recorded by the applicable Transport mob when you do the paperwork.

If you reco the existing engine professionally keep the reciepts as that will have the K's...

If you reco it yourself maybe a "date stamped" piccy of the Odo, dated receipts and a Stat Dec.