PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to Dargo - tips needed

Rokkitt
21st February 2011, 08:34 PM
Hi,

Looks I have to replan a trip, we were driving across from Mansfield to Dargo. Had a good look at the maps and I reckon we can base camp out of Talbotville and explore the surrounding area. Looking at Crooked river, Billy goat.
Anyone been around the area and have any tips on some other interesting (read technical) tracks?
Most of us are driving lifted trucks, may be one or two along with less experience but it would still be nice to try out some fun trucks without risking killing one of the convoy (specially seeing as I will have to tell there wife).
Also anyone in the area who wants to join up with us...think there may be 8 or 9 of us in the convoy, meeting in Talbotville on Friday the 4th of March - and got to get to work on the 7th so will head out on the 6th.

Regards
Rokkit

AB
21st February 2011, 08:51 PM
Hi mate, haven't been there for a while now but the only advice I can give you is please....please....Don't get a "Dargo Pub" sticker and put it on your Troll.

Bob
21st February 2011, 08:57 PM
I would check this out before leaving and also check with DSE
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2970-Road-Closues-in-High-Country

Sir Roofy
21st February 2011, 09:11 PM
check the site,above has given you, not a lot of dry wood around talbotville theres a long drop there,check all the rivercrossings before entering crooked river track lots of water crossings ,collingwood spur might give you a challange,racecourse track will take you up some steep country to cynthier spur and good veiws take care out there enjoy

Rokkitt
22nd February 2011, 09:44 AM
But, But....I like Dargo pub stickers...:)
Wouldn't be worthy of the trol, but gets a place on the fridge.

Hi mate, haven't been there for a while now but the only advice I can give you is please....please....Don't get a "Dargo Pub" sticker and put it on your Troll.

BillsGU
22nd February 2011, 08:17 PM
Don't know if has changed - but the last time I stayed at the Dargo Pub, it was very expensive and the "log cabins" were falling to pieces. Camp at Talbotville. Its a great spot. Maybe go over Wombat Spur in to the Gatta !!!

Rokkitt
1st March 2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone been to Collins Hut recently?
Is it still there??
How much room is there for camping - how many cars and tents would fit around the hut?
Anyone got any piccies?
Thanks
Rokkitt

Rokkitt
8th March 2011, 01:00 PM
Dargo – 4th to the 6th of March 2011.
We arrived at 11:30pm to find everyone really enjoying the night in the bush. We had a great drive up although a Wombat did decide to get into my line of fire and unfortunately he came out much worse for the encounter, it was otherwise an uneventful drive until the final section of track into camp, coming down an unfamiliar track late at night with dust obscured lights to guide us. We were very relieved to find a few sherbets and some very happy people greeting us upon our arrival at camp confirming that we indeed had come down the correct track….phew!
Got up early the next morning and headed into Dargo for fuel and supplies after having Bacon and Eggs for breakfast in camp. We met a group of bikers in town who gave us some advice on where to travel, our route was immediately revised and we headed north out of Dargo and took a turn onto Grady’s creek road, fairly straightforward track leading us ever closer to the infamous Billy Goat Bluff.
Straight across the junction at the end of Grady’s and into Link road, we turned left out of Link road onto Hibernia road, travelling along this we were looking for a turn onto an interesting looking Conway Track, this was a long steep descent and would have been interesting to drive in the other direction, the loose surface would have made for some fun driving.
We came out of the end of Conway and turned left onto Wonnangatta road, a short drive through some stunning country passing a few small homesteads until we found the turn onto Billy Goats Bluff – the sign read B……….ack, this track met all expectations as an iconic High Country Track with a long steep climb to the top, the only tricky section was encountered at the top, a short Rocky section which required someone to guide vehicles up and over, A GQ was first up and made it look easy without a guide to help. After watching this I thought with my lift I wouldn’t need to pick a line – instead choosing to go straight up and over….Wrong!! I travelled a few meters before coming to a resounding stop as my front diff impacted a rock very soundly, I then decided it was worth getting out and assessing – I chose the left line as it was furthest from a long drop into the valley below. The standard Prado almost showed us all up making its way up unscathed with minimal guidance (dare I say – almost made it look easy). This section also claimed one of the guys tyres tearing a nice hole in the side wall, A quick tyre change and we were on our way again.
Next we came to the Pinnacles lookout, this made the drive up even more worthwhile offering 270 degree views into the valleys over 4000ft below. This was definitely worth the 350m walk and climb up the oversized steps (puffing heavily). The lunch stop was fairly lengthy and we ended up departing well into the afternoon – disorientated and struggling to work out the way back out…
Next turn was onto Castle hill track but we missed the turn and instead went down a dead end track – All nine cars were stacked up at the bottom trying to turn around – the convoy order was a mess for the rest of the day. I was stopped by a vehicle that had pulled over to let us past when they asked “how many cars were left to come through” – this is when I realized I had no idea of my position in the convoy and with my radio playing up I was unable to ascertain my location within the convoy…oops!!
Well after some deliberating; we finally made our way down Castle Hill and onto Junction Spur, the latter quickly became the best track of the day in my opinion offering everything from steep shale climbs to the occasional patch of mud. Due to recent flooding in the High Country the tracks had changed dramatically and from this point it would have been easier to throw the map away and use the sun, moon, stars and mould to guide us back to Dargo, but thanks to the GPS users in the convoy we eventually found the way through. Only one obstacle stood in our way at the close of the days travel, a wide creek crossing but two of the guys in a GU4 put on their brave heads and took the plunge without even walking it first – now that’s determination (or was it just plain crazy), fortunately they made it across and stopped to show everyone the line they had found. From here it was a short drive up a newly created although seriously overgrown track back to the same campsite we had left the night before.
Everyone enjoyed getting out of the cars after a much longer day than initially planned. This could have been avoided if the DSE had given better advice when I called earlier in the week to check whether all the tracks had remained open. I had asked about Junction Spur and I was simply advised “yes, it’s open” no mention of deep creek crossings, alternative tracks…etc. But we had made it to camp so everyone could rest and relax for a few hours.
Sunday morning dawned bright and sunny, this was the day to head home but rather than head straight home we thought it would break the drive to check out a few tracks as we headed south from Dargo. Well by the time we got on the road we only really had time for one track…Budgee Track – this track quickly deteriorated into a very overgrown track which was eventually blocked by a huge tree which required a team effort to clear (plus a little help from a BIG chainsaw). Some hours later we eventually emerged onto the Tarmac once again thanks to the assistance of our friends with the GPS units (again – mine is now on order). This track had been blocked for some years judging by the condition and we were all left wondering why the DSE hadn’t made any effort to clear it at some point.
All in all it was a memorable weekend spent with a fantastic group of people; all be it from very different warps of life with one common interest.

Rokkitt
8th March 2011, 01:03 PM
Collins Hut (Gibraltar hut) has been destroyed by vandals - not much left at all.

Anyone been to Collins Hut recently?
Is it still there??
How much room is there for camping - how many cars and tents would fit around the hut?
Anyone got any piccies?
Thanks
Rokkitt

Bob
8th March 2011, 01:09 PM
Great write up. Thanks for sharing your trip with us

Sir Roofy
8th March 2011, 01:27 PM
Very good write up glad you enjoyed the high country