PDA

View Full Version : Damper vs Bread

FNQGU
3rd September 2014, 07:54 PM
Righto, now I for one reckon that a good camp damper is almost compulsory when out in the bush, but somehow at the end of the day is a bit over-rated. It's great when there is nothing better, and is decent when mixed in with a few ingredients, but over the last few years I have decided to cheat and pre-mix my flour with yeast, or better yet, use a bread mix like the Laucke Wholemeal or Multigrain, or if spoiling yourself, a Crusty White!

A favourite of ours is to add some grated cheese, olive slices, bacon, and some garlic to a Laucke Crusty White Bread pre-mix, then cook it in the camp oven. Superb stuff with a stew or Spag Bol etc. or just as a pre-dinner nibble!!

So, do tell - what are your best damper or bread recipe's for the camp oven?

rusty_nail
3rd September 2014, 08:24 PM
Righto, now I for one reckon that a good camp damper is almost compulsory when out in the bush, but somehow at the end of the day is a bit over-rated. It's great when there is nothing better, and is decent when mixed in with a few ingredients, but over the last few years I have decided to cheat and pre-mix my flour with yeast, or better yet, use a bread mix like the Laucke Wholemeal or Multigrain, or if spoiling yourself, a Crusty White!

A favourite of ours is to add some grated cheese, olive slices, bacon, and some garlic to a Laucke Crusty White Bread pre-mix, then cook it in the camp oven. Superb stuff with a stew or Spag Bol etc. or just as a pre-dinner nibble!!

So, do tell - what are your best damper or bread recipe's for the camp oven?

Mate you can't go past some little damper rolls with some garlic and cheese even mixed herbs thrown in for good measure. Only takes 5 mins or so to prep and 10 mins on the campfire.
Self raising flour
Water
Pinch of salt
Small cubes of cheese
Tsp crushed garlic
Pinch of mixed herbs

Mix flour water salt herbs and garlic together till it's the right viscosity I don't usually measure I just go by what looks right and how many you are feeding
Once it's mixed pull into little fist size rolls. Stuff abit of cheese into the center. Leave mixed balls on a bread board and cover with a tea towel for 20 to half hour. Usually do it first when making dinner and it will be ready to cook once dinner is halfway.
Wrap in tin foil and throw on some hot coals on the outside of the fire. Leave till they sounds hollow when u tap them with a knife and boom your done

mudski
3rd September 2014, 10:38 PM
Plain and simple for me.
Self Raising flour, bit of salt and add water until its a paste, then pour into a well buttered camp oven and cook. I usually throw some sultanas in it too to sweeten it up a bit.

megatexture
3rd September 2014, 11:17 PM
I'm not a huge fan but when we do we make it more like a dessert with chocolate in it ,mmmm

But I prefer to make a mud cake in the camp oven and eat it hot!

Maxhead
4th September 2014, 05:43 AM
I prefer to make bread as I'm hopeless with damper but I tell you what, Mudrunners better half makes one mean loaf...I think the recipe is on here somewhere(ill try and find it)

here's one of my masterpieces...LOL

Maxhead
4th September 2014, 05:48 AM
Heres the beast: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11038-Dutch-Oven-Bread-with-Semi-Dried-Tomato-amp-Pumpkin-Seed-Cooked-at-Loveday-SA-Easter&p=219651#post219651

graeme1969
4th September 2014, 06:54 AM
I'm not a huge fan but when we do we make it more like a dessert with chocolate in it ,mmmm

But I prefer to make a mud cake in the camp oven and eat it hot!

We occasionally have damper as well but of late the old white wings chocolate cake mix seems to get more of a run in the camp oven than anything else.....not complaining though.

threedogs
4th September 2014, 11:38 AM
I prefer to make bread as I'm hopeless with damper but I tell you what, Mudrunners better half makes one mean loaf...I think the recipe is on here somewhere(ill try and find it)

here's one of my masterpieces...LOL
same here if Im going to make anything it would be bread,
takes a little longer but far better than just plain damper.
well worth the effort and makes a mean slice of toast the next day