PDA

View Full Version : Dual purpose batteries

lhurley
1st September 2014, 10:17 AM
Hey all,

I have been looking at getting a dual purpose battery for my starter. My starter battery is starting to get a little long in the tooth and I have been looking at my options. I want to run a 2nd battery but not really able to spend $500 + on that set up, just yet.

I have been looking at getting a century marine pro 730. They are just over $200 and has 720 cca and 100ah.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Century-Battery-Marine-Pro-MP720-720CCA.aspx?pid=287281&menuFrom=40602#Cross

Has anyone had any experience with that battery? As a cranker and as a deep cycle?

As a deep cycle it will only be used occasionally to run my fridge overnight (max 16 hours) and maybe some led lights.

Thanks in advance

Lachlan

threedogs
1st September 2014, 11:12 AM
You could run a dual battery system, just using a marine isolating switch [big red key]
Not ideal but would be better than nothing, as long as your travelling 1.5 hrs or more
to top up your batteries, it should be ok, I used this system in my 68 Ford XT ute when camping
Avoid using your start battery for any accessories, in other words just leave it one job,
and that is to start your Patrol,

MudRunnerTD
1st September 2014, 12:41 PM
I have recently purchased that exact battery from Autobarn when they had their 30% off sale the other week and will be installing it in the GQ and taking the 2 Deep River batteries for the 24v system as they are Gel and can go inside the car. I think it will be a great battery.

lhurley
1st September 2014, 07:26 PM
I have recently purchased that exact battery from Autobarn when they had their 30% off sale the other week and will be installing it in the GQ and taking the 2 Deep River batteries for the 24v system as they are Gel and can go inside the car. I think it will be a great battery.

Will you be using it as a deep cycle or just a cranker?

MudRunnerTD
1st September 2014, 08:19 PM
Will you be using it as a deep cycle or just a cranker?

Everything that used to run off my second battery is now going back to the Cranmer too so going back to a single battery under the bonnet. It will run all my lighting and a fridge when needed and I think it will be fine. I have a 120amp Alternator on the GQ and it should handle it fine. I am taking the winch load out of the equation.

I think the specs are fine mate. It is 100Ah which is what you want, you won't get much better

megatexture
1st September 2014, 08:31 PM
Check out this mob also they delivered to my door for 50-60$ I've used them about 4 times now and are good to deal with.
They have a Agm for 285$ but call them first to make sure it's suited for under the hood..

http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/index.php?cPath=14&osCsid=7vh3pm3eaougo7s3rra118jll0

MudRunnerTD
1st September 2014, 08:40 PM
Check out this mob also they delivered to my door for 50-60$ I've used them about 4 times now and are good to deal with.
They have a Agm for 285$ but call them first to make sure it's suited for under the hood..

http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/index.php?cPath=14&osCsid=7vh3pm3eaougo7s3rra118jll0

That's what I have had under the bonnet and now going to run them inside the cab for 24v. Good batteries with plenty of grunt. Anything with a Marine application is designed for vibration they tell me so should be suited to under the bonnet.

megatexture
1st September 2014, 08:43 PM
I was more thinking the heat than vibrations though the factory batt is usually vented and shielded

lhurley
1st September 2014, 09:38 PM
What sort of advantage does agm have over wet cell? Between the one mega suggested and the one I was looking at, the agm is 780cca and 100ah and the wet cell is 730 and 100 (figures of manufacturers websites)

Is 50 cca worth the extra $100?

MudRunnerTD
1st September 2014, 10:35 PM
What sort of advantage does agm have over wet cell? Between the one mega suggested and the one I was looking at, the agm is 780cca and 100ah and the wet cell is 730 and 100 (figures of manufacturers websites)

Is 50 cca worth the extra $100?

No the real advantage is the GEL as it does not vent and is fully sealed. It will handle vibration without a drama and is a very stable product.

megatexture
1st September 2014, 11:23 PM
An Agm will cope with low discharge better than a wet also