PDA

View Full Version : Looking for sausage recipes

Maxhead
30th August 2014, 08:37 AM
Any sausage makers out there???

Just got myself a commercial mincer ready to make some sausages. Mainly beef at this stage but will expand to other meats as well.

Sooo, have you got any good recipes, tips, tricks, methods, etc....pics are good:)

Any info is welcome

Thanks
The Sausage King...LOL

Maxhead
30th August 2014, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah, so far I go myself some collagen casings (30mm), cure salt(7% Sodium Nitrite), kosher salt

...and of course the meat weapon
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48747&stc=1

Bob
30th August 2014, 09:01 AM
Looks like some of those feral Bulls on your Property are going to go through this Machine LOL

Maxhead
30th August 2014, 09:06 AM
Looks like some of those feral Bulls on your Property are going to go through this Machine LOL

Haha, yep. If I'm going to kill them then might as well eat them and not let the ferals get them:) plus I don't like to waste

Family4x4
30th August 2014, 09:22 AM
Add some lamb fat I can't remember the ratio, I just remember putting it in and it made them better.

Bob
30th August 2014, 09:26 AM
Try this Site mate

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

Maxhead
30th August 2014, 09:55 AM
Try this Site mate

http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/

That's a great website Bob....cheers

dads tractor
30th August 2014, 12:07 PM
Nisshead the most important thing for a good snag is too remember what a snag is ; deep fried meat in a casing . Pork fat is used in German and Pommie snags for best results and the ratio is 1/4 or1/3 fat to lean meat .I'll get back to u later just been summoned .

Maxhead
30th August 2014, 12:24 PM
Nisshead the most important thing for a good snag is too remember what a snag is ; deep fried meat in a casing . Pork fat is used in German and Pommie snags for best results and the ratio is 1/4 or1/3 fat to lean meat .I'll get back to u later just been summoned .

Yep, I got to get some fat..The meat is way to lean so I'll have to add some porky fat.

threedogs
30th August 2014, 01:18 PM
Suet as per ratio , try asking someone of Italian origin, you could even make some cracking salami's.
Duck fat has heaps of flavour, The local Gormet sausage shop around the corner even has square ones lol
easier to turn

Clunk
30th August 2014, 01:33 PM
mmmmmmmm pork sausages

Clunk
30th August 2014, 01:38 PM
some good old British snags

http://www.campaignforrealfarming.org/2011/03/homemade-sausages/

Maxhead
30th August 2014, 02:50 PM
some good old British snags

http://www.campaignforrealfarming.org/2011/03/homemade-sausages/

Hmmmm...yomm, yomm, yomm :)

growler2058
30th August 2014, 03:11 PM
My old man used to own a joint called the Sausage shop. Don't ever recall them adding fat to them. They were the best sausages ive ever had, the new owner sent the joint bust so its not around anymore.
Pork and pineapple
Beef and tomato
veal and sage
They were my faves

Bob
30th August 2014, 03:13 PM
My old man used to own a joint called the Sausage shop. Don't ever recall them adding fat to them. They were the best sausages ive ever had, the new owner sent the joint bust so its not around anymore.
Pork and pineapple
Beef and tomato
veal and sage
They were my faves

What no Chillies !!!!!!

growler2058
30th August 2014, 03:32 PM
What no Chillies !!!!!!

There was a Mexican beef but it was sooooooft :)

dads tractor
30th August 2014, 04:00 PM
Nisshead TD is on the money with Suet excellent and use your bigger plate to cut it up . Try a basic recipe first like 2kg of red meat 500gr suet 4 eggs and desert spoon of corn flower to bind and flavour with 2 big onions garlic qld blue pumpkin carrots if some are getting past their use by . Tip : mark the cutters to match the plates with a pin punch and only use in sets as this keeps the surfaces of both sharp longer .

jack
30th August 2014, 04:06 PM
Kris, check out Scott Rea on YouTube, he's a butcher and has heaps of interesting videos on there. I'm sure there is a sausage making one, but also lots of other tips and tricks.

dads tractor
30th August 2014, 04:07 PM
My old man used to own a joint called the Sausage shop. Don't ever recall them adding fat to them.

Growler he was probably using trims so didn't need to add fat where as bull meat has no fat so it needs to be added. We used to get a whole bull carcass in a month and turn it into fine mince for the Yanks in Alice , premium mince and premium price .

Ben-e-boy
30th August 2014, 04:12 PM
A while ago I bought some pork and pineapple snags... believe it or not they tasted great!

Maxhead
31st August 2014, 08:47 AM
Nisshead TD is on the money with Suet excellent and use your bigger plate to cut it up . Try a basic recipe first like 2kg of red meat 500gr suet 4 eggs and desert spoon of corn flower to bind and flavour with 2 big onions garlic qld blue pumpkin carrots if some are getting past their use by . Tip : mark the cutters to match the plates with a pin punch and only use in sets as this keeps the surfaces of both sharp longer .

Nice one, I think the mincer only comes with one cutter and 2 plates so I might get a second cutter. Cheers

Anyone know where I get this suet stuff??

growler2058
31st August 2014, 09:00 AM
Butcher mate
had a mate that always ended up chewin on it when we had a sheep on the spit, drunkn bum

threedogs
31st August 2014, 12:18 PM
just went to Coles and noticed they sell bone marrow , that would taste great and cheap as chips too

dads tractor
31st August 2014, 03:00 PM
Suet is the fat from around the kidneys and should be firm and white .Use lamb or beef and go to the corner butcher that breaks up his own carcass'.

Maxhead
9th September 2014, 06:32 PM
Ok, quick update. The first batch is done. about 6kg of meat

1 type was Italian sausage and 1 type was Polish sausage and they are friging awesome.

These are per kg of meat:
Ialian salt 18 g 3 tsp.
fennel seed, full 3.0 g 2 tsp.
coriander 1.0 g ½ tsp.
chilli powder 1.0 g ½ tsp
Paprika 2 tsp
cold water 100 ml 3/8 cup

White polish
salt 18 g 3 tsp.
pepper 2.0 g 1 tsp.
marjoram 2.0 g 1 tsp.
garlic 2.0 g ½ clove
cold water 100 ml 0.4 cup

I have a cold smoke generator ordered and I'm going to convert an old oven into a smoker so I can do hot and cold smoking...LOL Should arrive later in the week so probably won't get a chance to do smoked ones this week

I also have my cure #1 and #2 so I can do dried and semi dried types as well ::)

Pics

AB
9th September 2014, 06:37 PM
Sounds delish mate, started getting hungry reading that!!!

growler2058
9th September 2014, 06:51 PM
Good job mate they look the real deal n all!!!

Winnie
9th September 2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah wowww they look awesome!

growler2058
9th September 2014, 06:56 PM
Im glad hes not pi55ed and flopping his white Polish sausage about hahahahhaa

Maxhead
9th September 2014, 06:59 PM
Yeah wowww they look awesome!

They taste even better...bwahahaha....hopefully I have some left over for next weekend

Winnie
9th September 2014, 07:00 PM

Hahaha ohhhhh noooo

Maxhead
9th September 2014, 07:02 PM

That's not till the weekend Gman...LOL

growler2058
9th September 2014, 08:25 PM
That's not till the weekend Gman...LOL

Saving that for Aussie day ay mate bwahahahahaha

Maxhead
10th September 2014, 07:41 PM
Round 2 and another 6 kg...LOL

2 types

Wild Bull
salt 20 g 3.5 tsp
pepper 6 g 3 tsp
marjoram 4 g 2 tsp
ground mustard seed 4 g 2 tsp
garlic 14 g 4 cloves

Northern German
1 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seed

Friging taste sensation :) :) :)

Pics

growler2058
10th September 2014, 08:13 PM
You better have some for the Aussie day meet up cock or i'll punch you in the throat!!!

Sir Roofy
12th September 2014, 08:32 PM
Hi Nisshead. I have some sausage recipes but just have to find them. The best is Italian Pork and Fennel. With chillies and without. I haven't made sausages for a long time but I prefer to use natural skins. You can get them from the local butcher. Hope we get to taste some of yours on Aussie Day weekend. When I find my recipes I will post them up. Jane.

Maxhead
12th September 2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks Jane, talk to ya tomorrow
I'm bringing some samples:)

.....on the move

dads tractor
14th September 2014, 02:08 PM
Can u tie them yet if not you tube has a couple of good vids on how

Maxhead
20th September 2014, 11:06 AM
Can u tie them yet if not you tube has a couple of good vids on how

Cant tie them but will check out some vids soon :)

Maxhead
20th September 2014, 11:14 AM
Ok, build my prototype smoker...LOL

This one is electric oven but the next one will be big arse gas oven converted to LPG. You can see the smoke generator on the side. Very simple idea.(tube, fittings, air pump, wood chips)

As it is I can cold smoke and hot smoke as well by turning the element on and heating it up to around 80degC ( i think:) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOIWIPGbGE

I reckon the fire brigade will be here soon...far out that is pumping!!! All cold smoke:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oURFuSw_L7I

Bob
20th September 2014, 12:01 PM

This one is electric oven but the next one will be big arse gas oven converted to LPG. You can see the smoke generator on the side. Very simple idea.(tube, fittings, air pump, wood chips)

As it is I can cold smoke and hot smoke as well by turning the element on and heating it up to around 80degC ( i think:) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOIWIPGbGE

I reckon the fire brigade will be here soon...far out that is pumping!!! All cold smoke:)

Love your Safety Boots LOL

growler2058
20th September 2014, 12:09 PM

Hahahahahah. COUGH the neighbours will be thinking ah no that polish wog is cooking up again

Winnie
20th September 2014, 05:22 PM
I tell you what these sausages are GOOD! Especially the Polish flavour... Makes a bloody good brekky! =)

Maxhead
20th September 2014, 05:24 PM
Ok had to modify a bit as the electric oven was sucking too much air.
Anyway everything turned out sensational ....
Around 80degC and 2.5 hrs

.....on the move

threedogs
28th September 2014, 03:08 PM
Just watching a cooking and travel show on SBS, they had Black cherry sausages .
I suppose there is no end to the flavours you can do

macca86
28th September 2014, 03:20 PM
How did that back strap taste? We found the rump tasty but too chewy tough wild Bulls!
I believe it's 1:3 for the fat ratio if your sausage is grainy then not enough fat I think.

Maxhead
29th September 2014, 12:31 PM
How did that back strap taste? We found the rump tasty but too chewy tough wild Bulls!
I believe it's 1:3 for the fat ratio if your sausage is grainy then not enough fat I think.

Yeah, same. Very nice flavor but bit on the tough side. Perfect for snags and slow cook.

threedogs
29th September 2014, 12:44 PM
I have a Finlandia stainless smoker have not used it yet, about the size of a 20ltr drum.
Must read up on smoking different meats and game.
seeing you do yours has made me want to fire up mine, I'll put pic here

Maxhead
29th September 2014, 01:07 PM
I have a Finlandia stainless smoker have not used it yet, about the size of a 20ltr drum.
Must read up on smoking different meats and game.
seeing you do yours has made me want to fire up mine, I'll put pic here

Yep, get it going John. I've been smoking everything lately...LOL

Avo
5th October 2014, 06:40 PM
smashed out a few kg of kabana sticks yesterday and made some bigger salami's

Maxhead
6th October 2014, 03:55 PM
smashed out a few kg of kabana sticks yesterday and made some bigger salami's

HAHA , nice ..looking good!

Looks like thirsty work though:)