PDA

View Full Version : erg valve and bits for ecconomy

thin on top
20th February 2011, 10:27 PM
Well I have now blanked of the erg valve, removed the butterfly valve and washed out the intercooler and add 2T to the diesel.
So today went for a run up the Arnhem Highway from Darwin east towards Kakado. Yes I think it runs smother and maybe quieter. I had to stop after 90km as the road was closed due to floading. Now that was a site to see people standing knee deep in water on tarseal, flicking lures further down the road hoping to catch a Barra.
When I left home I filled both tanks, and 189kms later I filled both tanks again 19.5 litres
That will do me fine 10 litres per 100km, last time I checked on similar run, it was more like 13 litres per 100km:smile:

YNOT
20th February 2011, 10:37 PM
I'd be happy with that.

Tony

thin on top
20th February 2011, 11:04 PM
Tony, with the 2.8 do I need to be checking the boost pressure and exhaust temp

Phil

the ferret
21st February 2011, 01:04 AM
The ol 2.8 will love you for it mate.

twiggsy
7th March 2011, 10:49 AM
i tried looking it up but to no avail.

butterfly valve? what is it, what does it do, where is it, and how do i remove it. and by removing it does it have any long term negative impacts on the engine?

i have the 98 2.8 td.

cheers!!!

YNOT
7th March 2011, 12:29 PM
Tony, with the 2.8 do I need to be checking the boost pressure and exhaust temp

Phil

Sorry mate, I missed this.
Boost pressure and exhaust temp tell you a lot about what's happening in your engine, I recommend fitting these gauges to any turbo diesel.

Tony

YNOT
7th March 2011, 12:45 PM
i tried looking it up but to no avail.

butterfly valve? what is it, what does it do, where is it, and how do i remove it. and by removing it does it have any long term negative impacts on the engine?

i have the 98 2.8 td.

cheers!!!

The blue arrow points to the butterfly housing. My understanding is it is used to partially block the inlet creating a low pressure and allowing the introduction of exhaust gases (via the EGR system) to the inlet. This is purely emmissions related. If you block the EGR (more power, better engine and turbo response, some report better economy) then the butterfly is redundent.
Removing the butterfly is easy, remove the housing indicated in the photo and have a look inside. You will see 2 small screws holding the butterfly plate to the shaft. Remove the screws and slide the plate out. Leave the shaft in place.
Long term, blocking the EGR will most likely extend the life of the engine. Removing all that carbon from going back through the engine has to be a good thing.

Tony

twiggsy
7th March 2011, 06:38 PM
cheers tony, am learning heaps from being a member of this forum. was a member of newtriton.net when i had my ML triton and didnt learn anything really. this forum is great. heaps of knowledgeable people and everyone is keen to help out.

YNOT
7th March 2011, 08:09 PM
Ask anything you want, we're here to help.

Tony

thin on top
7th March 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Tony, I remember back in my young days as an apprentice fitting pyros to trucks, and the drivers saying they drove off that as much as the taco.
Dam deisels have change, it was easy when it was a mechanical link from the pedal to the injector pump, now they but bloody wires every where, lol

YNOT
7th March 2011, 09:51 PM
I was doing a job down at Komatsu last week and saw an engine sitting on a stand just inside the workshop door. A brand new twin turbo common rail V12 diesel. I don't know how many litres or what horsepower but it was a 7 foot tall work of art. It had 4 pyro sensors all neatly mounted before the turbos with the wiring neatly run around the engine to a connector block. Like you said a far cry from the old mechanical diesels of years gone by.

Tony

thin on top
8th March 2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry mate, I missed this.
Boost pressure and exhaust temp tell you a lot about what's happening in your engine, I recommend fitting these gauges to any turbo diesel.

Tony

I have ordered my pyro and boost guage, they will be here next week. Things take while in Darwin.

Im sure I have seen guages mounted on the windscreen pillar, is there a mounting pod available to buy, or do have to fabricate it.

Phil

YNOT
8th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Autron make GU pillar pods, check this link; http://www.autron.com.au/newweb/index1024.htm

Tony

thin on top
8th March 2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks Tony

macca
9th March 2011, 08:59 AM
After reading these posts I have blocked the erg, removed the butterfly after seeing the photo yesterday and added 2T at 200:1.

Filled the tanks and now wait untill I can get some K's on it to see if I can get an improvement like thin has, 25% approx is impressive.

Should get nearly another 275k from a tank, bloody awsome if it does. Thats better than my common rail Hilux did when loaded.

Thanks guys

Macca

macca
13th March 2011, 06:29 PM
As an update, mines an intercooled TD4.2.
Previous to the above mods it would not hold 3rd at 1700rpm on a rise while travelling on fire trails around here. It would bog down calling for 2nd gear and rev a whole lot faster.

Went for a run today, and to my suprise the 1st rise it pulled from 1450 rpm. This must be a less steep hill, but it did it all day. I am rapt in the increase in performance.

When I took the butterfly out it had the stop adjusted to hold the vane at about 15 plus degrees so blocking the airflow big time.

I might be dreaming and my Dad says the same, its definately accelerating smoother when on road. Not sure about extra power, todays run now has me convinced.

A 3'' is being fitted Tuesday for $850 - 900, which seems a bargain. A relatively new diesel shop that is looking to grow and add more customers is doing it, not a back yard job with Chinese bits.

All is looking good, thanks for the tips

Macca

GU skip
18th March 2011, 07:11 PM
cheers tony, am learning heaps from being a member of this forum. was a member of newtriton.net when i had my ML triton and didnt learn anything really. this forum is great. heaps of knowledgeable people and everyone is keen to help out.

Hey mate! I just sold my ML Triton and come over to this forum aswell!

So would my GU series IV have a EGR aswell? I blanked it off on my Triton due to carbon building up in the intake manifold, does this also happen with the Patrols? If so, can someone post the link of where it is on my patrol?

Cheers

YNOT
18th March 2011, 08:19 PM
Yes it would have EGR and yes it does cause carbon build up in the intake, especially when mixed with PCV vapours.
Is you engine a CRD or DI motor?

Tony

GU skip
18th March 2011, 09:26 PM
DI, also runs LPG in the intake after turbo boost runs out of legs, if that makes a difference. Any photo's of where you blank it on my motor? Or do you just blank it where the line comes off the exhaust manifold and wraps back around to the butterfly?

Cheers

GU skip
18th March 2011, 09:28 PM
btw, im just assuming thats how it would be set up, going off how the triton was, i dont pick up my patrol until the 28th. Just pattern the gasket with a stainless plate?

Cheers

the ferret
18th March 2011, 09:49 PM
Here ya go mate, easy as.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/egrblockzd302-1.png

GU skip
19th March 2011, 06:32 PM
Too easy, cheers mate!

thin on top
20th March 2011, 10:38 PM
An update on my fuel usage.
The Patrol has been the good ladys drive car for last 4 weeks, to and from work, 5 kms each way. Shopping and general runing around 400km at 13 litres per 100km, around town and she does not know where 5th gear is.
Saturday I filled the old girl up, put my 2T in the fuel, hooked the 4.5 metre boat on the back and headed east, we did 600kms towing the boat, 80kms of that was on a very rutted gravel and slush road. I filled her up again when we got home 14 litres per 100km.
Im rapt