PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on improving an SD33

MQowner
22nd August 2014, 10:19 PM
hi guys, i own a 82' MQ SD33, i love the car to death, and it's in one of the best conditions for an MQ i have ever seen, but after 32 years of running the old girl seems to be getting a bit tired and problems start arising here and there. i was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on squeezing out extra power/making the engine run smoother (i understand the only real way to get performance is to point the thing downhill). maybe advice on if things like a performance 2 1/2 exhaust kit and extractors, etc. are worth installing. i'd also like to look at upgrading the suspension but it's tough to find parts or services for something with this much age to it, if someone could point me in a direction of someone who's done work to their patrol/places they've gotten parts, that would be extremely helpful. any and all suggestions would be great, thanks in advance 48570

happygu
23rd August 2014, 08:06 AM
Have you ever replaced the injectors, as this can make a huge difference if your old ones are not atomizing the fuel properly...

If they are 32 years old, I would say that they wouldnt be in optimal condition

The SD33s werent ever a fast machine, but they would always get there....

MQowner
23rd August 2014, 11:44 AM
The injectors have been replaced but I think it's time again for some maintenance on them or some replacements. They always get there, that's the truth.

GQ TANK
31st August 2014, 01:35 AM
Turbo the motor or swap the motor with a sd33t - big differance

Run a bigger exhaust

JonnoDe
17th September 2014, 07:31 PM
As with all diesels. Adjust the pump, increase boost/turbo charge and a bigger exhaust. Three things to increase power on just about all diesel motors.