PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat housing

Clunk
20th February 2011, 07:47 PM
Hi guys, I'm in need of a little help with this one.

Noticed the old temp needle rising slowly when I was out and about earlier, it rose to just over half way so I stopped and found coolant leaking out of the top hose where it meets the thermostat housing. There was crud all around the the inlet pipe of the housing, so have cleaned it all off, fitted a new hose but still have coolant leaking from the same place. I think the housing may be a little corroded but its hard to tell as I haven't taken it of yet (and don't really want to start something that I'm not gonna be able to finish by myself tonight). Does anyone know of a quick temporary fix that will last for a few days?

Clunk
20th February 2011, 07:56 PM
ok, yep, the inlet on the thermostat housing is definitely pitted.

Oh crap and have just found a small hole in it.

YNOT
20th February 2011, 07:59 PM
As a temporary fix just clean it up as best you can, not much else you can do. Maybe try 2 hose clamps.

Tony

Clunk
20th February 2011, 08:03 PM
As a temporary fix just clean it up as best you can, not much else you can do. Maybe try 2 hose clamps.

Tony

Thanks mate, that hole is not in a good spot at all..... it's in a spot where a clamp just wont go round :(

Sir Roofy
20th February 2011, 08:04 PM
Put a run of silicone sealant on and clamp it down

Clunk
20th February 2011, 09:20 PM
ok all good now managed to push to hose on a little further and just about managed to get a 2nd clamp on........ so far so good. Thanks for the advise gentlemen. Now does anyone have a spare housing that they may want to part with for a few spondulies???

Finly Owner
20th February 2011, 10:31 PM
not here, new anyway

Clunk
20th February 2011, 10:57 PM
not here, new anyway

No worries mate

PhilD
28th February 2011, 11:49 PM
a good repair for this problem is "selleys metalic cement" an aluminium based glue,
kept many thermostat housings going for years past the conventional use by date
works on cleaned aluminiun, copper, brass and petrol tanks
re glued a burst radiator top tank on a '46 chev truck. strong enough to resist the next boil over (radiator tubes were clogged with crapp)

Clunk
7th March 2011, 12:17 AM
Well I was very pleased with myself today, as most of you know I'm not very mechanically minded. But finally replaced the knackered thermostat housing today, along with new thermostat, also flushed and replaced the coolant, oh and gave the engine a treat with some new oil and filter. I have to say it's mainly thanks to this forum and all you guys who have contributed your knowledge to all the different threads.
Ordinarily i would have just taken it to a mechanic and had it done but through here have managed to get the confindence to attempt it myself. Thanks guys

Oh yes I almost forgot, also fitted a UHF today too, now all I need to do is learn how to use the bloody thing hahahahaha

Finly Owner
7th March 2011, 12:58 AM
Good on ya clunk, now about those DIY Mods??????????????????

Clunk
7th March 2011, 01:00 AM
well I've just gotta save up a few spondulies then I'll be having a go at the lift kit, so that should be fun

Finly Owner
7th March 2011, 01:01 AM
Let everyone know when you need advice

Clunk
7th March 2011, 01:02 AM
oh don't worry mate, I will. Thanks

89GQ
8th March 2011, 01:43 PM
Well I was very pleased with myself today, as most of you know I'm not very mechanically minded. But finally replaced the knackered thermostat housing today, along with new thermostat, also flushed and replaced the coolant, oh and gave the engine a treat with some new oil and filter. I have to say it's mainly thanks to this forum and all you guys who have contributed your knowledge to all the different threads.
Ordinarily i would have just taken it to a mechanic and had it done but through here have managed to get the confindence to attempt it myself. Thanks guys

Oh yes I almost forgot, also fitted a UHF today too, now all I need to do is learn how to use the bloody thing hahahahahaYeh good on ya. Most of its not too hard and the next time ya do it it's easier! It's enjoyable too do it your self. Some times i stand back and look and i'me a bit hesitant, but once you get into it and dirty its all fun. Done all suspension bushes,calipers ,disks, and a whole diff swap. I want to do the swivel hubs next but i seem too stand back and look at them longer! Is there a sticky on them here? Will have a search. And think of the money you can save Clunk71

GQshorty
18th February 2012, 06:57 PM
thanks for the help guys