PDA

View Full Version : The Dredded GU Droop?

Mudboss
19th August 2014, 06:00 AM
Hay all

I got an 03 4.2TD, She's got a 4' lift with king springs and king shocks. Like all lifted GU she's starting to droop drivers side. Dos anyone know why or how to stop it.

growler2058
19th August 2014, 06:54 AM
Were the LHS and RHS springs put in the right way? Drivers sides are slightly longer??

happygu
19th August 2014, 10:07 AM
Not sure if it is front or back, but I would be at the very least checking the top of your spring towers to make sure that they aren't separating from the chassis.

There should be an even gap at the top between the tower and the body....

Failing that - your springs are up to eleven years old, and you may just need to grab some new ones or use some spacers to bring it back up to height

Stropp
19th August 2014, 12:56 PM
if they are the right way around and have just dropped with age i would swap them around so the high side is on the drivers side that way it will eventually settle down to level and maybe give you some time to save for a new set.

Mudboss
20th August 2014, 03:00 AM
Thanks every1. I'm gonna try and get some stiffer spring something like 450kg extra . I didn't think you could swap left to right springs.

Spring towers are all good and springs are really only 2 years old.

MudRunnerTD
20th August 2014, 09:53 AM
Thanks every1. I'm gonna try and get some stiffer spring something like 450kg extra . I didn't think you could swap left to right springs.

Spring towers are all good and springs are really only 2 years old.

That is a Very Heavy Spring. What are you carrying. Don't go too heavy if your not carrying weight or it will be terrible.

Stropp
20th August 2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks every1. I didn't think you could swap left to right springs.

yes they are the same except for the hieght on the drivers side will be slightly longer to counter the drivers weight being there all the time, would pay to check as it will have left and right on the springs.

ps i used ti live at stirling north and was born in quorn

Mudboss
25th August 2014, 06:15 PM
ahh a Quorn boy. Cheers mate. yeh theyre on there right sides. Dosnt matter now tho got a caution defect on the weekend. too high, HID head lights to bright and for having an led bar on my roof rack. aparently in SA you cant have any foward facing lights behind your head light.

happygu
25th August 2014, 07:36 PM
ahh a Quorn boy. Cheers mate. yeh theyre on there right sides. Dosnt matter now tho got a caution defect on the weekend. too high, HID head lights to bright and for having an led bar on my roof rack. aparently in SA you cant have any foward facing lights behind your head light.

It is the same for everyone ... cant have forward facing lights on the roof or above the bonnet line, but I see it every day....

HID's are illegal too -if not self levelling/adjusting.....

cos
26th August 2014, 06:30 AM
A spring can't have same behaviour in time ( if eventualy was identic with his oposite side ) ... from various resons ( roads , driver , weight even or not on the both side ) ...
You can use a coil spacer - easy to install ( asuming is no issues on the coil - broken spring or problem on the chasis ) .