PDA

View Full Version : Camping in S.E. QLD

Strugs
18th August 2014, 08:04 AM
Hey Patrollers

I'm planning a camping trip with my son and have been looking at camping spots around the S.E Qld Scenic Rim area, near Mt Barney.

Searched heaps of sites and forums online, but finding it hard to choose! :icon_bonk: I think I'm keen on either Flanagans Reserve or Bigriggen Park.

I'm reading that Flanagans is a bit of a dust bowl with little to no grass, but a great camping ground in general with a top swimming hole/river. Apparently the Bigriggen manager is a psycho, but runs a tight ship and the grounds are excellent. Apparently. So I've read..

Anyone camped at these spots before? I'm open to recommendations!

Cheers

Sherro
19th August 2014, 10:02 PM
Last time i camped at Flanagans it was free that was along time ago it was a dust bowl then and Bigriggen always had good grassy areas to camp that was a long time ago as well.

megatexture
20th August 2014, 01:10 AM
Mate if you have a chainsaw and axe go to gordon country its a bit more of a drive but free fire wood, camping by creeks, basic facilities if you need them and its verry relaxed and a few 4x4 tracks also and plenty of space to make yourself at home.

I cant comment on flannagans but ive been to big rigging and I was not impressed. You may as well go to a carravan park...

rex
20th August 2014, 05:10 AM
Give spring gully a go only 12k out of Canungra small but rather good

Strugs
20th August 2014, 11:24 AM
Cheers guys. Gordon Country and Spring Gully both look good, from what I just saw online very quickly. I'll look into them further.

Strugs
20th August 2014, 11:29 AM
Mate if you have a chainsaw and axe go to gordon country its a bit more of a drive but free fire wood, camping by creeks, basic facilities if you need them and its verry relaxed and a few 4x4 tracks also and plenty of space to make yourself at home.

I cant comment on flannagans but ive been to big rigging and I was not impressed. You may as well go to a carravan park...

How long ago did you go to Gordon Country, mate? Some mixed reviews here haha - https://plus.google.com/108179356492529980799/about?hl=en&gl=au. Certainly is a beautiful spot, but the current prices are outrageously expensive. 3 nights for 1 adult and 1 child in an unpowered site is $69, plus $30 mandatory 4wd fee just to drive in there (but includes access to 4wd trails). Wasn't planning on spending $100 for an unpowered site :jawdrop:

megatexture
20th August 2014, 05:42 PM
We were there Last wed- Sunday lol we love it, you will find the ones that write bad reviews are people on long weekends and caravans (the kind that should stay in a caravan park)

If you don't go 4 wheeling you can just pay the car fee.

On a standard weekend there will be like 10 camping groups there and its like 3000 acres so plenty of room lol

Strugs
22nd August 2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I hear what you're sayin' about the people who like to complain... Might actually be worth the money if there's that much privacy and space there! Thanks for the tip - appreciated, mate.

megatexture
22nd August 2014, 06:59 PM
let us know where you end up going and how it is always good to know of more spots .

briscott
22nd August 2014, 08:43 PM
+1 for Gordon Country, was last up there in April, have been quite a few times. Such a great piece of Australia. The only thing I think they have stuffed there is the amount of fences added, but in reality, that is only in a small part of the place.

For my little family, it's the 'bush camping' we like best.

megatexture
22nd August 2014, 08:48 PM
you wont be happy to hear then that They have started construction of 2 bridges also on on the creek crossing between banshee valley and the festival area
and a 2nd one up the back of banshee valley, something I’m not happy with as this is the area we prefer to camp as even during long weekends there are minimal ppl compared to other areas as the creek crossing puts off some people.
i believe but i think they are doing it for cabin access?

Strugs
25th August 2014, 04:07 PM
let us know where you end up going and how it is always good to know of more spots .

Yeah man, will do for sure. Tossing up between Gordon and Flanagan.

Strugs
1st October 2014, 02:10 PM
G'day all. So, we ended up going to Flanagan Reserve and had a blast. We camped down by the river with views directly across to Mt Maroon and Barney. Was dusty down that end but it didn't bother us (and it's worth it for the view and privacy), and there's plenty of grassy spots up towards the entrance if that's what you'd prefer. Had Kookaburras eating out of our hands and they also quite enjoyed us giving them a soft stroke on their back.

We caught a few Bass in the river using a lure, which was a nice surprise. We just threw a line in to kill some time and relax, not expecting to catch anything.

It's really a beautiful spot, very quiet and relaxing, plus it's just a short drive to Lake Maroon and also to the Mt Barney lower portals walk down to the rock pools (which we did).

I'd happily go there again.