PDA

View Full Version : Stop gas bottles freezing on portable cookers

AB
17th August 2014, 06:30 PM
I found a neat little trick on the weekend. Those little disposable gas bottles that always freeze up over night or freeze up whilst cooking in cold climates.

An open end stubby holder fits over it superbly and keeps the cold out. It was pretty cold camping last night but it fired up straight away this morning using the stubby holder.

04OFF
17th August 2014, 06:52 PM
If you puncture one over a lit lighter they heat up pretty quick too

hahah

Winnie
17th August 2014, 07:01 PM
Nice idea. I always threw them in my sleeping bag but did not take long for the to freeze again.
I have gone to a proper gas bottle and never looked back.

AB
17th August 2014, 07:25 PM
Nice idea. I always threw them in my sleeping bag but did not take long for the to freeze again.
I have gone to a proper gas bottle and never looked back.

I said I was over them too but I haven't bought a little gas bottle yet for my two burner.

I packed the car yesterday and had no option...lol

lucus30
17th August 2014, 07:29 PM
I said I was over them too but I haven't bought a little gas bottle yet for my two burner.

I packed the car yesterday and had no option...lol

I stick them in my pockets 5 minutes before cooking

macca
17th August 2014, 10:21 PM
We got fed up with the aerosol type and bought a Coleman dual fuel. Best thing we ever did. Was told about the sleeping bag trick but kicking one of them around all night was not for me!

Irish
17th August 2014, 10:56 PM
I have a two burner with the proper bottle, but I always carry my $15 gasmate burner. I just keep a bottle in the swag overnight and it's good to go next morning.

Drewboyaus
17th August 2014, 11:02 PM
We got fed up with the aerosol type and bought a Coleman dual fuel. Best thing we ever did. Was told about the sleeping bag trick but kicking one of them around all night was not for me!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the dual fuel....got a couple of the sportster burners and a 2 burner stove as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

liftlid
18th August 2014, 08:17 AM
I just swap the cans over whilst cooking, also if boiling water poor some over the can half way through, works great

liftlid
18th August 2014, 08:37 AM
I found a neat little trick on the weekend. Those little disposable gas bottles that always freeze up over night or freeze up whilst cooking in cold climates.

An open end stubby holder fits over it superbly and keeps the cold out. It was pretty cold camping last night but it fired up straight away this morning using the stubby holder.

Yep I do this as well in cold weather, put a stubble holder on each end of can

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2014, 04:01 PM
I swap them during cooking too. nice idea AB but you cant fit the bottles into the cooker while they are dressed in a skirt.

AB
18th August 2014, 04:22 PM
I swap them during cooking too. nice idea AB but you cant fit the bottles into the cooker while they are dressed in a skirt.

I've got thin crappy open end ones and they just fit. The better stubby coolers will not though.

TimE
18th August 2014, 04:23 PM

I do the same, lay one close to the cooker to keep it warm, when the one being used gets too cold swap positions. Only really an issue on cold mornings, but when you want that first hot coffee of the day it is a real pain.

When we have the camper in tow it is not an issue, with LPG on tap.

Stropp
18th August 2014, 05:17 PM
yep i swapped to the 4.5 kg bottle for the same reason but do still carry the elcheapo with me.

NissanGQ4.2
18th August 2014, 06:03 PM
My little gas burner that takes the disposables really needs to be chucked out :(

Keeps leaking gas and igniting!

Have a nice ring burner but one legs broke of :(

lucus30
18th August 2014, 10:53 PM
My little gas burner that takes the disposables really needs to be chucked out :(

Keeps leaking gas and igniting!

Have a nice ring burner but one legs broke of :(

Sounds super safe

Irish
20th August 2014, 06:44 PM
They cost $15 at bunnings, for the sake of your eyebrows just buy a new one.