PDA

View Full Version : DIY Anti theft

bigboss
20th February 2011, 12:52 AM
Hey all! Recently had a patrol nicked and want to be sure my new toy does land in the hands of scumbags again, Can anyone throw out some good ideas on DIY anti theft for a GQ patrol?
Cheers guys!

AB
20th February 2011, 01:22 AM
Hey all! Recently had a patrol nicked and want to be sure my new toy does land in the hands of scumbags again, Can anyone throw out some good ideas on DIY anti theft for a GQ patrol?
Cheers guys!

I'm sure there will be some better ideas but just off the top of my head...

Steering lock put on in dodgy areas
Alarm
Even just a flashing red light can do wonders
Be cautious of where you leave it, etc

Clunk
20th February 2011, 01:25 AM
carry your own wheel clamp around with you

AB
20th February 2011, 01:27 AM
carry your own wheel clamp around with you

Park the Patrol in a 6 foot hole and see how good the thief can drive...lol

Clunk
20th February 2011, 01:31 AM
Park the Patrol in a 6 foot hole and see how good the thief can drive...lol

you may larf AB but I know of a few people in the UK who do it now hhahahahahaha

veeate
20th February 2011, 01:33 AM
apart from the obvious alarm & immobiliser, you can fit a hidden cut-off switch for the ignition, starter circuit or electric fuel pump somewhere.. hide it under the seat or somewhere behind the dash that you can reach but not see...or fit a brass fuel cut-off tap under the drivers seat .. thats the 2 DIY security tricks that have worked for me

Clunk
20th February 2011, 01:35 AM
how about a big F*** off angry dog living full time in your car

AB
20th February 2011, 01:46 AM
I'm super paranoid with the new GQ. Didnt take it last night for night shift at a new shopping centre opening today.

If you have half a clue you can get into a GQ as quick as getting the keys out of your pocket which is scary!

Clunk
20th February 2011, 01:56 AM
I don't think that any amount of anti theft devices will stop them, slow them down maybe but if they really want your car they're gonna take it no matter what.................. for example, my younger bro still lives in the UK, he had a Vauxall Calibre (I think Holden had them over here for a short while), anyway about five years ago, he came over here for a month to visit, he had actually removed all the wheels off his car and put it up on blocks, thinking no ones gonna steal it................. when he returned home, the car was gone, he was absolutley gutted

AB
20th February 2011, 02:01 AM
I don't think that any amount of anti theft devices will stop them, slow them down maybe but if they really want your car they're gonna take it no matter what.................. for example, my younger bro still lives in the UK, he had a Vauxall Calibre (I think Holden had them over here for a short while), anyway about five years ago, he came over here for a month to visit, he had actually removed all the wheels off his car and put it up on blocks, thinking no ones gonna steal it................. when he returned home, the car was gone, he was absolutley gutted

So they brought wheels along then?

far out, I just live in an area where I don't see people at all driving or walking by....I don't like people...lol....Jokes!

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:07 AM
So they brought wheels along then?

far out, I just live in an area where I don't see people at all driving or walking by....I don't like people...lol....Jokes!

apparrently one of his neighbours saw one of those flatbed trucks with its own crane come along and take it.................... the dozy plonker didn't think anything of it, just thought my brother must have sold it.

AB
20th February 2011, 02:10 AM
Thats a very ballzy effort though...Damn!

I think Veeate's idea is quite good though. It would take you a long time to figure this out and most of the time they would give up.

apart from the obvious alarm & immobiliser, you can fit a hidden cut-off switch for the ignition, starter circuit or electric fuel pump somewhere.. hide it under the seat or somewhere behind the dash that you can reach but not see...or fit a brass fuel cut-off tap under the drivers seat .. thats the 2 DIY security tricks that have worked for me

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:13 AM
Thats a very ballzy effort though...Damn!

I think Veeate's idea is quite good though. It would take you a long time to figure this out and most of the time they would give up.

sounds like it could be a goer....... just a little bit better than my suggestions hahahahahahaha

AB
20th February 2011, 02:14 AM
sounds like it could be a goer....... just a little bit better than my suggestions hahahahahahaha

or mine with the 6 foot ditch...lol

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:20 AM
how about a moat, with a drawbridge roflmao

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:22 AM
apologies for the highjack there Bigboss, I've just noticed where this thread is, feel free to delete all my ramblings

AB
20th February 2011, 02:30 AM
how about a moat, with a drawbridge roflmao

What about a woopy cushion filled with poo so when you sit on it you just get sprayed and get the wet feeling and smell...Seriously though, you wouldnt drive the car after that???

Yeah I know, we'll have to delete all of this later on...lol

AB
20th February 2011, 02:31 AM
I think the woopy cushion could actually work.,..Think about it for a second...

yeah this car looks good, sit down...WTF, oh that smell .... What is that, oh man my pants are soaked with,,,,what the hell is that on my pants...Is that....Yeah I think thats....Lets get outa here!!!!!!!!!!

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:34 AM
I think the woopy cushion could actually work.,..Think about it for a second...

yeah this car looks good, sit down...WTF, oh that smell .... What is that, oh man my pants are soaked with,,,,what the hell is that on my pants...Is that....Yeah I think thats....Lets get outa here!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahah bloody hilarious, would work well with some decent seat covers on................. just get some spray and wipe and reset ready for the next victim

AB
20th February 2011, 02:38 AM
hahahahah bloody hilarious, would work well with some decent seat covers on................. just get some spray and wipe and reset ready for the next victim

Just have the valve facing straight up, seat cover on drivers side and I think it would be ok....lol

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:40 AM
oh how I would love to see that done right now hahahahahaha

AB
20th February 2011, 02:46 AM
oh how I would love to see that done right now hahahahahaha

You could also do a sneaky and have a small nail which pierces the thiefs pants so the liquid goes inside his pants only....lol....That would kill two birds with one stone...

Thief gets it inside his pants but no liquid goes anywhere inside your car.

yeah thats how you do it...Perfect!!

Im going to make millions off this invention...lol

Lets call it the Poo shooter 2000

Clunk
20th February 2011, 02:48 AM
You could also do a sneaky and have a small nail which pierces the thiefs pants so the liquid goes inside his pants only....lol....That would kill two birds with one stone...

Thief gets it inside his pants but no liquid goes anywhere inside your car.

yeah thats how you do it...Perfect!!

Im going to make millions off this invention...lol

Lets call it the Poo shooter 2000

and people call me warped???!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

Airstrike
20th February 2011, 03:06 AM
Thinking I will get a sensor and fancy alarm as I am looking at throwing about 5 grand at the wagon in march.

damianovdd
20th February 2011, 07:37 AM
x2
you can fit a hidden cut-off switch

i think that this is working...

bigboss
20th February 2011, 03:46 PM

Any idea how i would do this? Cut off switch to the ignition sounds like the best bet...

big_fletch
20th February 2011, 04:19 PM
I agree with you plassy, a hidden switch would be the best idea, its what I would do.. there are a few ways of doing it, depending on petrol or diesel, petrol you could cut power to injectors or pulse to coil, diesel you could cut power to fuel pump or injection pump.. switch could be hidden under seat, in center console ect

szaf
20th February 2011, 08:15 PM
Hi I would like to suggest to rig a shot gun cartridge instead of a whoopy cushion The body would stop the pellets hitting the ceiling causing reverse hail damage. The hidden switch is the cheapest as my fathers commodore VL had one - twice someone tried to steel they couldn't - damaged plastic surrounding the ignition switch. You can only slow down a professional theif. Paul

szaf
20th February 2011, 08:16 PM
Sorry about the spelling and grammer

Finly Owner
20th February 2011, 10:37 PM
Leave window down with viscous rottie chain to steering wheel.

TheFlyingBadger
20th February 2011, 11:19 PM
i've got one of those big steel disk things that go over the steering wheel. good hi-vis deterrent, i used it for years when i had the misfortune to work in liverpool (not NSW!)

GU4u
21st February 2011, 08:06 PM
I recon you could get a quick release hub for your steering wheel like the ones they use on racing cars, that way you take the steering wheel with you! But i think if they really want it they will find a way!!! which really suxs!

Airstrike
23rd February 2011, 10:16 AM
Ok Have done alarm and also a switch to battery. Now to work out how to stop the key scratching :(

Ben-e-boy
23rd February 2011, 06:54 PM
mines in the design process at the moment I'm using alot of interposing relays on major circuits to created faults and blow fuses if not correctly disarmed long story short you need to be an experienced electrical fault finder to work it out.. The bad side is testing and commissioning is costing me heaps in fuses and relays

Also I believe remington, smith and wesson etc will provide decent cover

cheese
4th March 2011, 09:43 PM

its worked for me!!

Trolatron
7th March 2011, 08:25 PM
How about magnetic Toyota badges... slap them on when you park it ..whip them off when you leave....ahaha

Caspar
24th March 2011, 02:37 AM
The hidden switch is a great idea. So how easy is it to break in to A gq?

timbar
24th March 2011, 02:57 AM
how about a brake fluid bottle a small vacume line conected to a electric fuel pump some how activated when the imobiliser is on and is triggered by the ignition being turned over spraying brake fluid at the drivers seat and lining the seat covers with clorine just in case u miss his/her eyes sorry no mercy for assholes that steal cars or for that matter PATROLS

timbar
24th March 2011, 02:58 AM
or just a hidden switch will probably do it with a imobiliser and alarm

Silver
25th March 2011, 12:15 AM
Jaycar used to sell an immobiliser that was a bit different. It would let the (petrol) motor start, and then stop after 15 seconds. Then after a few seconds, it would let it start again, then run through a couple more cycles, then stop for good. It connected to a 12v coil lead.

The theory was that the vehicle would be out in the traffic by that time and the crooks would p1ss orf. I had one, but it came in a very obvious alloy box, so having built it I kept if for a decade or two (F100, MQ and now mighty Mav) without fitting it, and only recently chucked it away without ever having fitted it. I may check to see if they have a more discrete model. Jaycar seem to have all their kits based on articles in Silicon Chip, so a search there may help

A fuel cut off on a carby motor works the same way, but through only one cycle, a girlfriend of mine from 1979 had one fitted to her mini, the car would run until the float bowl emptied.

fakawi
21st April 2011, 09:56 AM
Over 20 years ago, my wife had a gemini that used a round push lock in the cabin (passenger side). You would push the lock in which sent pin attached to a cable through the bonnet latch, so that you could not open the bonnet. The second stage was that this same mechanism would also depress a cut off switch and that way, they could not get into the engine bay to fiddle with the wires. I live in Sydney and this car still had the original metal painted sun visor and was in excellent condition and was targetted by thieves quite a few times and each time they would destroy the door and ignition barrel, but could not start the car. you could probably make up your own. Good luck.
p.s. at one point I was considering running a spark plug into the petrol tank so that when they did try to start it I could take out some marshmellows and enjoy the barbeque.
have a look at this website, it looks very similar to what I had.
http://doorlockwiz.co.cc/megatronix-hl7-7-foot-mechanical-hood-lock-cable-with-ignition-interrupt

Bigrig
21st April 2011, 10:49 AM
Over 20 years ago, my wife had a gemini that used a round push lock in the cabin (passenger side). You would push the lock in which sent pin attached to a cable through the bonnet latch, so that you could not open the bonnet. The second stage was that this same mechanism would also depress a cut off switch and that way, they could not get into the engine bay to fiddle with the wires. I live in Sydney and this car still had the original metal painted sun visor and was in excellent condition and was targetted by thieves quite a few times and each time they would destroy the door and ignition barrel, but could not start the car. you could probably make up your own. Good luck.
p.s. at one point I was considering running a spark plug into the petrol tank so that when they did try to start it I could take out some marshmellows and enjoy the barbeque.
http://doorlockwiz.co.cc/megatronix-hl7-7-foot-mechanical-hood-lock-cable-with-ignition-interrupt

Sounds dangerous ... I like it!!!!! LOL

big_fletch
21st April 2011, 06:14 PM

Spark plug in the fuel tank wouldn't end well for em lol.. On the bright side they wouldn't try steal a car again LMFAO

HippoNZ
21st April 2011, 06:51 PM
Get a nice .45 cal desert eagle hand gun, discreetly place under steering wheel and get a line that runs from the trigger onto the clutch pedal so when then press the clutch in bang! see you later to the old fella. That way they can't reproduce any more of these thieving pricks! LMAO
Just think of the mess lolololol

katwoman
21st April 2011, 06:56 PM
Katrol has aftermarket immobolizer. ( Hubby had to call me and sit in for half hour before he worked out how to start it, even with the keys.)
Dont know anything about it, but could dig around and post some pics next week? Is very touchy though. Put keys in pocket and Katrol starts screaming. Can be embarrasing

growler2058
21st April 2011, 06:58 PM
Get a nice .45 cal desert eagle hand gun, discreetly place under steering wheel and get a line that runs from the trigger onto the clutch pedal so when then press the clutch in bang! see you later to the old fella. That way they can't reproduce any more of these thieving pricks! LMAO
Just think of the mess lolololol

Sawn of gauge with SG will need a new sat tho ha

HippoNZ
21st April 2011, 07:16 PM
Sawn of gauge with SG will need a new sat tho ha

haha one up me why dont ya, but I like the way you think!

snicko
21st April 2011, 09:22 PM
I looked at a GPS Sat tracker but if you want to fork out over 2 grand plus on goings the shot gun would be cheaper. There is a tracker that uses the mobile phone signal but if the car goes out of range then good by car...............BANG!!!!!!!! is looking better...!!!!!!!!!

Forced Offroad
21st April 2011, 09:28 PM
I have rewired a kill switch from my starter motor hiding inside the cab (maybe;) ) and will be putting in a alarm... Biggest problem with theft these days is, if they want it they will take it....
Good mate is a Federal cop, he says dot the basics...alarm,steering locking ect and they will move on to the next car....dont keep your gps units ect out so people can see them...but (as said) if they really want your car they will take it, and most of the time it for a joy ride and you will find it burnt out...
one thing is to cover your number plate when you post pic on forums... there are few low lives that check these places out and its easy to get address from number plates...And while your sleeping they brake in roll the car down the driveway push it down the street and then bugger off....

katwoman
21st April 2011, 09:32 PM
I have rewired a kill switch from my starter motor hiding inside the cab (maybe;) ) and will be putting in a alarm... Biggest problem with theft these days is, if they want it they will take it....
Good mate is a Federal cop, he says dot the basics...alarm,steering locking ect and they will move on to the next car....dont keep your gps units ect out so people can see them...but (as said) if they really want your car they will take it, and most of the time it for a joy ride and you will find it burnt out...
one thing is to cover your number plate when you post pic on forums... there are few low lives that check these places out and its easy to get address from number plates...And while your sleeping they brake in roll the car down the driveway push it down the street and then bugger off....
The problem is, looking around at most of our trucks, even without rego's you could still pick em on the street..
I'm right, Nobody know where Rosedale is !!

Forced Offroad
21st April 2011, 09:52 PM
[/B]
The problem is, looking around at most of our trucks, even without rego's you could still pick em on the street..
I'm right, Nobody know where Rosedale is !!

yep good points there....
But Just googled Rosedale, Gipsland... looks like a nice town....So i know where it is now....just making my a point...
interent, made for the army, but perfected by Crooks....:) :) .. Actually perfect by Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook)

snicko
21st April 2011, 10:10 PM

There are scum bags everywhere and I did wonder if some did their shopping on forums????

rusty_nail
12th January 2012, 04:11 PM
sorry to bring up an old thead, but my GQ was broken to and stripped out the night before a big camping trip, the took all my recovery gear, my brand new steel cage roof rack, parts of the dash, my sound system, dual battery setup, 6 spotties and camp fridge. needless to say i was gutted.

as to the general consensus in the thread, if theives want it, they will take it. the stuff had only been in my car for 24hours, i believe it was someone in the area who knew the car and waited till i had it loaded up with goodies. basics people, give them as little reason to break in as possible, dont leave anythign on display, if you have bolted on stuff, try using odd sized heads nut heads and even go as far as loktite-ing them on if you dont plan on taking the item off anytime soon. my new patrol lives permanantly in my garage except for going out driving of course lol.

we invest too much money and mainly time in somthing we are all obviously passionate about to let some asshole just come along and ruin all your hard work, and i hope none of you have to go through the same thing i did.

AB
12th January 2012, 04:17 PM
sorry to bring up an old thead, but my GQ was broken to and stripped out the night before a big camping trip, the took all my recovery gear, my brand new steel cage roof rack, parts of the dash, my sound system, dual battery setup, 6 spotties and camp fridge. needless to say i was gutted.

as to the general consensus in the thread, if theives want it, they will take it. the stuff had only been in my car for 24hours, i believe it was someone in the area who knew the car and waited till i had it loaded up with goodies. basics people, give them as little reason to break in as possible, dont leave anythign on display, if you have bolted on stuff, try using odd sized heads nut heads and even go as far as loktite-ing them on if you dont plan on taking the item off anytime soon. my new patrol lives permanantly in my garage except for going out driving of course lol.

we invest too much money and mainly time in somthing we are all obviously passionate about to let some asshole just come along and ruin all your hard work, and i hope none of you have to go through the same thing i did.

That sux mate, I'm sorry to hear it!

Like you said use odd shaped bolts, anti theft bolts, torx bolts, etc...Obviously they can get the tools themselves but they may not have those tools on them on the day of the theft so it may save you.

I know some people who strip the bolt heads, etc too.

snicko
12th January 2012, 08:52 PM

He Rusty_nail your story makes my blood boil. Like I said in this thread there are scum bags everwhere!!
Our son has his motor bike stolen so I know how you feel - it's shattering.
I really hope Karma gets them good!!

madchris
28th January 2012, 10:02 PM
iv got a gq 89 mod diesel and hooked a kill switch up to my oil temp light works a treat car will start and run for about 15 sec till the warning light comes on then stalls i seen this in another site i was wondering through and used it it works

paulyg
29th January 2012, 02:45 PM
I agree with veeate i have used hidden switches and cutoff valves before, very cheap and very efective.

antiskeptic
29th January 2012, 07:15 PM
im definatley sticking an immobiliser in mine. how to solex locks shape up? thinking of doing all 3 doors with them...what do people think?

Turtle_au
7th February 2012, 04:41 PM
Put a 120db siren under the driver seat, timer relay activated by the interior light. Better still if the timer then deadlocks all doors. When you return I'm sure the culprit would be happy to agree to anything, cause he wont hear you.

P.S. this may be illegal, but only if there are witnesses and a body.

jimmyjam
7th February 2012, 06:28 PM
A door lock is only as strong as the glass in the door... A mate wired in a second coil on a switch and stitched "hot tape" (white braided flat electric fence tape) into his drivers seat cover. If you didn't flick the hidden switch before trying to start the car you'd get zapped!
Problem is with car thieves, if you aggravate them enough they may just torch your pride and joy. When parking in dodgy places in cities I keep an eye out for security cameras and busy streets. People watching tend to be a good deterrent!
I've owned show cars before and had a kill switch, battery isolator with removable key (race car style). I also put a second kill switch wired into the brake light circuit. It's all pretty easy to do with a petrol carby engine, with a diesel a bit trickier...

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 12:29 AM
I've ordered one of these for my boat
http://http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-for-personal-remote-positioning-29284
They take a looooooooong time to send them to you though.
If it works well enough i'll order one for the GQ too!

thebeatjackson
20th February 2012, 12:38 AM
I've ordered one of these for my boat
http://http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-for-personal-remote-positioning-29284
They take a looooooooong time to send them to you though.
If it works well enough i'll order one for the GQ too!

wouldn't rely on it as the only anti-theft device though, just something extra, for 60 to 80 bucks it's worth a shot.

iht2670
23rd February 2012, 06:46 PM
Hidden switches are the cheapest & easyest option, thief wont bother trying to find them just moves on to the next unlucky persons ride (hopefully ?)

Steve.

DX grunt
24th February 2012, 06:21 AM
A few years ago the WA govt made it illegal to sell/buy a car without an approved immobilizer.

You have to sign the transfer papers saying it's fitted with one.

voodoorick
11th March 2012, 12:50 AM
I dont seem to have a problem with low life's trying to nick my GQ......could be the Doberman that sits in the front seat though!

Finly Owner
11th March 2012, 11:00 PM
I found a sure way of stopping lowlives breaking into FINLY, park near a Tojo oozing $$$$$spent on it. Most low live some how think Tojos are better than Patrols. Must have something to do with their brain size.

Tim

the ferret
11th March 2012, 11:18 PM
Problem solved!!!
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/ak47.jpg

bazzad
12th March 2012, 10:48 PM
Okay here is a story that i read about before the internet.(yep i'm that old) A fellow had his GTHO stolen and taken for a joy ride. Lucky for him he got it back. He then made a box that holds a marine flare. Would not share the details but the car would start and drive like normal but you had 60 seconds to flick a hidden switch or the flare goes off and fills the cabin with orange smoke, leaves a nice trail for everyone to see. Reckons it was taken one more time and it didn't get to the end of the street before said scum abandoned it. Now i haven't reseached this but i reackon it would work.

Richo460
14th May 2012, 10:13 AM

The council prob took it away thinking it was abandoned, they do that up here in cairns. You can go to the council auctions and buy cheap shit cars that were abandoned for real cheap, i might buy one for my new block of land, and then i can run over it with the "Crushinator".

Depends where you live as to what anti theft to do. In cairns they are usually opportunists that just want a joy ride, so its prob easier to deter them and alarms and the like will work, but in the cities there are prob more professional theives that may be more likely to get around more sophisticated devices. I think having an alarm, flashy red light and secrect immobiliser are a good trick. After that just get good insurance.

jackwalks
20th May 2012, 09:42 PM
Buy a Trunk Monkey......Super quiet, and they also get rid of the body with no evidence left behind

bazz61
21st May 2012, 05:14 PM
get a lenght of heavy chain wrap it around the brake & clutch a few times padlock ends together, try & get the padlock on the fire wall side, no one can drive it annd a lot of time to get chain cut,

Bulldozen
22nd May 2014, 11:54 AM
As far as looking after your baby goes I will give you the best ways to stop thieves as every one knows how easy the old girls are to take now my anti theft ideas are for td42s because where I live they are flavour of the generation so firstly park it in the most inconvenient spot cars behind or in front of it secondly a steering lock is not to be under estimated there a good deterrent now here's the good little secrets a fuel tap under drivers floor not a delight having to turn it off every night but I'd rather that then my car gone also relocate battery to in the car hidden and have dummy terminals in the engine bay this is is because even if you kill switch the pump it's a five second job getting power to it another gold solution is a snap on steering wheel easy and effective if you don't trust a steering lock I have in the past rigged up my ignition only to give power to the car reds and starter hooked up to different seiches now all I can say is if you do all of this and the thief if he's full determined still takes your car your a knob for not realising in the time it would of took him hope some of those ideas help you keep hold of the endangers spicies that is patrols

Majestic
21st October 2014, 10:56 PM
iv got a gq 89 mod diesel and hooked a kill switch up to my oil temp light works a treat car will start and run for about 15 sec till the warning light comes on then stalls i seen this in another site i was wondering through and used it it works

I have a 89 Diesel as well. Considering I had to look up how to wire in a UHF and get my brother in law to show me how to wire in a stereo and I just learnt how not to mess up batteries when disconnecting them, could you go a little further into this method? More accurately how to wire this up for dummies like me? I think this method would be work for me, not that theft is a major issue here. People leave their cars unlocked everywhere all the time and they don't go missing. Still I do travel to Sydney and Newcastle sometimes and it would be nice to have a little peace of mind. Never bothered with the R31, it's worth 3 grand if it's stolen and that is more than we're selling it for. :D