PDA

View Full Version : Adding 4 litres of Petrol to 140 litres of Diesel for more power.

Mark
30th June 2010, 08:05 PM
Iv'e been struggling with power a bit with big loads and i spoke to someone who mentioned they added 4 litres of petrol to 140 litres of diesel to gain more power.

Obviously I am extremely weiry of this idea and just checking if anyone here has done this before and how'd you go???

Very concerned it will root the engine so need advice if anyone's heard this or tried it?

Cheers.

Mark.

GU89
30th June 2010, 09:20 PM
Yes ive heard of this, sounds ok to me. Probably just does similar things that the fuel additives do. Ive thought about doing myself every now and then but couldnt be bothered picking up that other hose at the servo.

YNOT
30th June 2010, 09:44 PM
A bloke in our club did that by accident on the way to a club trip. I think it was around 5 or 10 litres of petrol he put in before he realised his mistake. He swears his Patrols (TD42T) never run better. I wouldn't be doing it on a common rail engine, but something like a TD42 would probably be OK.
I've also read reports of people adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil to their diesel.

Tony

GQ4.2
30th June 2010, 10:01 PM
I've heard of the 300mls of 2stroke to 70L tank but not petrol, I personally would like to see someone do the before and after results to see how effective it really is...

Mark
30th June 2010, 10:08 PM
Great stuff, thanks guys.

I personally would like to see someone do the before and after results to see how effective it really is...

Ok everyone, whos going first???...haha...I'll be right behind ya.

patch697
30th June 2010, 10:49 PM
Great stuff, thanks guys.

Good onya Mark nice to see you putting you foot forward first...lol

I just got off the phone to a mate who's a diesel mechanic & he said putting petrol in with your diesel will give you a bit more go but 5ltrs per 100 is as muck as he would use & at this ratio it safe enough to use all the time.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
7th July 2010, 11:59 AM
Hay Mark I found this on another forum & thought you maybe interested.

I have read posts about using mineral base 2 stroke oil at a ration of 200:1 with the diesel to provide pump lubrication and a cleaner burn. I believe mercedes benz researched this. I have the data to show about a 1 to 2 L /100km SAVING in diesel when using the oil in the diesel. Also MUCH quieter and less black smoke. Plenty of posts and info on the internet about it. I am a believer And it was the data that converted me.

Hope it helps mate

Cheers
Paul

Pootrol
15th July 2010, 06:20 PM
Petrol in diesel sounds very similar to the Diesel Gas systems. i.e. adding a catalyst that makes the diesel burn better.

patch697
15th July 2010, 06:42 PM
Petrol in diesel sounds very similar to the Diesel Gas systems. i.e. adding a catalyst that makes the diesel burn better.

Thats exactly what its fore.... & with more & more systems coming out all the time I suspect it wont be long before thay include it as a factory option.

Cheers
Paul

red92gq
15th July 2010, 11:27 PM
I've been running 250 ml of 2stroke (castrol active T) in each tank for about 2 mths now after reading heaps about it on Patrol4x4 .
It does seem to have made a small difference as far as how smooth the ute runs but so far thats about all i've noticed .

Aquarian51
13th August 2010, 11:19 PM
A couple of friends who used to drive interstate trucks used to put an empty coke can full of petrol in each of their tanks. Thats like 300 ml in about 200 litres. I wouldn't go for much higher ratio than that.

old briney
1st September 2010, 08:21 PM
i did that when running the semi's overnight, however, we found out it burns the injector tips, we then went to the 2 stroke oil and had no problems for the same proformance

Finly Owner
1st September 2010, 09:48 PM
yeah I wa told a cap of unleaded in tank of diesel acts like injector clean

89GQ
6th September 2010, 10:47 PM
Iv'e been on the 2 stroke bandwagon for about 8 months, and wont look back, Originally a diesel mech. told me about it after replacing the top seal on my IP, Since 2004 the sulfer gone from 5000 PPM to anything between 10 and 50 PPM, and sulfer is the main lube in diesel. He said from about 6 months after the low sulfer was introduced he was getting two or three diesels in a week with stuffed, dried out and cracked seals. And before that he would do one pump every month or so. Alot of the newer IP's have Viton seals that is not affected by the low sulfer. I done a few jar tests with 50/50 diesel and different types of 2 stroke the best i found was castrol Activ 2t full mineral, the diesel absorbed it without even shaking it. Some of the semi synthetics went abit cloudy when mixed.My benefits have been quieter motor, less smoke,and ive gone from 14-15Litres/100 K's down to 11-12 litres/100 k's. Also has a little more get up down low. Cant see anything getting damaged at 200:1 ratio, as the mechanic said its oil in oil. Also at around $2-3 a tank its cheaper than any other additive ive used and you actually notice it doing something.

Adlarplant
6th October 2010, 01:09 AM
Ive tried using 2 stroke oil in my fuel at various ratios back to back same runs etc. and found it made no difference to the fuel consumption over the time i used it the only thing different i found was i had to add the oil to the tanks when i filled up.Just curious as to why people want to add petrol to a diesel engine remember petrol is a solvent one of the reasons i don't use bio blends while it can enhance combustion it negates the lubricity of the diesel fuel.

Chops
6th October 2010, 01:23 AM
A couple of friends who used to drive interstate trucks used to put an empty coke can full of petrol in each of their tanks. Thats like 300 ml in about 200 litres. I wouldn't go for much higher ratio than that.

I used to put 20 to 30 litres of Unleaded, with 250 litres of Diesel when I fuelled up a GM692 with an 800 litre tank. Made it start easier, idle easier, and got an extra 5 to 8 kms an hour top end speed.

country boy
9th October 2010, 08:38 PM
So has anyone done this in there Patrol yet ' if so how did you go and how much unleaded did you use ? Cheers guys .

Mav
10th October 2010, 12:14 PM
I used to put 10% PULP into my old 1HZ, 400,000+ k's and never had a problem with it.

I personaly never had an issue with doing it, that amount of k's and the Pump was never off:icon_victory:

If i had a Diesel again it would be copping the same treatment:icon_driving:

Chops
11th October 2010, 04:38 AM
Did you get any better fuel consumption when using ULP Mav.

Mav
11th October 2010, 07:32 PM
Did you get any better fuel consumption when using ULP Mav.

Yep, but i have never worried about Econemy in any Car\4WD, but it was noticable:wink:

The biggest problem i had was the amount of smoke comming out of the exuast, the first time i did it:1087:

Chops
11th October 2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I just wanted some more info on what other say, about how well the ULP helps combust the diesel on smaller vehicles.

justrocho
22nd November 2010, 09:34 PM
go for it i ran my cruiser on sump oil yes sump oil mixed with 30percent diesel 5 percent unleaded .she went 40000 on that mix till my mate drowned it

tkn
1st December 2010, 04:26 PM
A mechanical diesel injection engine (as opposed to an electronically controlled injection engine) can tolerate up to about 20% mix of petrol, kerosine, etc. before possible engine damage becomes an issue. However, nothing is certain because the results depend upon the octane rating of the petrol, the composition of the diesel (which varies from summer to winter to compensate for temperature change), the condition of the engine, injector pump, injectors, etc. Forgetting about fuel economy and power for a moment - if you are running short of diesel then before you get to 1/4 of a tank mix in some petrol (maybe 5 or 6 litres) and that may be enough to get you home.

starck
23rd January 2011, 11:02 AM

I've done it several times....

Diesel fuel does not like lower temp. That everybody knows.
Here in EU we use to have winters around zero and diesel is specially prepared for season in all gas-stations.
However temp may fall suddenly even to 25 - 27 dgr Celsius Minus. And if You are on Your way - the best thing to not stop in the middle of nowhere - is to add app 5-7 litres of petrol for whole tank of diesel. That prevent diesel from freezing. Of course better is to buy additive strictly advised for winter but ....

I guess You have no such a problem in AU but my example shows this mixture is making no harm to the engine.

TuffTD42
25th June 2011, 01:34 PM
I just tried it to day, so see if the ol girls still running in a few days. 10% bp ultimate to a tank of diesel.

AB
25th June 2011, 01:54 PM
I just tried it to day, so see if the ol girls still running in a few days. 10% bp ultimate to a tank of diesel.

Let us know what you think of it too?

TuffTD42
25th June 2011, 04:12 PM
i'll post up my results at the end of the tank.

TuffTD42
27th June 2011, 05:45 PM
Well only used a quarter of a tank & think I pretty much have the results. Can't see it getting any better. Used the first quarter & got around the 170 klm mark. That's what i normally get so doesn't seem to be any better on fuel.

Cold starts: (been -3 to -6 over night here atm, normally is a bit smokey (fuel), & has a bit of a cough & splutter for the first min. now with the petrol added has little to no smoke & dose cough a bit but not as bad.

Engine: seems to be noisier either detonation noise or the injector pump?

Power: defiantly has lost power, not as crisp as it was.

Smoke: Mine dose blow a bit mainly down low when it's being fueled up. (higher gear & low revs with the foot buried.) With the petrol added would have to say that it would be blowing 3/4 less now in the same scenario.

So for me it's a no go especially without knowing the long term damage if I was to keep doing it. So I am going to fill it up again now at the 3 quarter mark & dilute the mix some more & start using the 2 stroke oil for the rest of the tank. then refill & use the 2t again & see what results that yields.

cheers Jono.

Wotan81
27th June 2011, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm a bit confused. Is the concensus that petrol in the diesel isn't a good mix whereas two-stroke at about 200:1 is? I'm happy to try the oil - as one writer said, it's just oil into oil. A question - does the sludge in the tank pose any sort of a problem? And is there a way to remove it, or like barnacles, do I just live with it?

TuffTD42
27th June 2011, 08:23 PM
Well, I'm a bit confused. Is the concensus that petrol in the diesel isn't a good mix whereas two-stroke at about 200:1 is? I'm happy to try the oil - as one writer said, it's just oil into oil. A question - does the sludge in the tank pose any sort of a problem? And is there a way to remove it, or like barnacles, do I just live with it?

With the petrol I.ve read that that's how they make bp ultimate diesel they add petrol to it. Don't know. They have LPG injection for diesels & now I have seen kits that spray either methanol or petrol in stead of LPG. Supposed to make em go better again. Well it's different I know putting petrol in the tank rather than injecting it after the inj pump but from my results the ol girl defiantly didn't feel as crisp as before. I thought it was going to open her up a bit more but not so. My mate has a Gu TD42 ute & put the gas injection on not long ago. He got me take it for a drive & I thought it was a dog, but I hadn't driven it before so I was only comparing it to my GQ but he reckons it made a difference.

The sludge in your tank would be cleaned up (Not sure how well) with chem-tech,petrol & I even read that the 2 stroke would clean it up. Best carry around some spare fuel filters as it'll clog up your filter if it dose get a good loosen up.

Cheers jono.