PDA

View Full Version : TD42 in a GU replacing a RD28

Barfly
12th August 2014, 01:42 PM
Will the TD42 engine go straight onto the existing engine mounts?
would the gearbox have to be changed?
would a TD42 with the original box go straight in.

Cheers Max.

krbrooking
12th August 2014, 03:28 PM
Short answer.... No.

I think at minimal the left mount needs moving and the 2.8 gearbox will not suit as well. You also have to change the tail shaft and diffs as they are not compatible either. There is a few threads on here regarding this subject, so if you do a search you are sure to come across the info you are looking for.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

mudski
12th August 2014, 06:05 PM
Pretty much what Kev said, plus you need to change brakes. It can be done but you would be better off finding a roll over gu td42 and swap everything over. If your still keen on the conversion.

Extrimal D
8th December 2014, 07:55 PM
TD42 be changed only with box together. To set the cable to the gas pedal. Put the oil filter of a smaller size. To coordinate the transaction. That's about it.

sooty_10
9th December 2014, 08:05 PM
Pretty much what Kev said, plus you need to change brakes. It can be done but you would be better off finding a roll over gu td42 and swap everything over. If your still keen on the conversion.

Just curious why you say the brakes need changing?? They are exactly the same between GU models (except tb48)??.

I have done this conversion mate and as alluded to by Kev you will need to move the drivers side engine mount (or fabricate an offset plate), you will need a TD42 gearbox and crossmember, diffs can stay as they are but at 4.6:1 you will most likely need larger tyres or it will rev a bit on the highway, front tail shaft is the same, rear will need some flange changes either on diff end or T/case.

Extrimal mentioned the throttle cable also need swapping over. There are off course other little bits and pieces which need modifying or using TD42 stuff. I had a complete donor so just swapped bits as needed using everything from the TD42.

ako89
17th March 2015, 12:28 AM
Its a pretty easy conversion just weld in new mounts change the box and your away

Cyrusbilly
23rd March 2015, 09:44 AM
Hi If it is one thing it is not a quick conversion. I am in the process of doing a RD28 to TD42 T conversion, i just modified the drivers side engine mount to suit (have picture if you want) i used a GQ TD42 ute as my donor car. The Ute had no AC so i used the RD28 AC compressor and modified a TB42 AC mounting bracket. Wiring is different so i had to rewire the TD wiring loom to suit the RD. I sold the donor car to quick to fund the project but i have found that there are parts that i needed so i should have held on to it. Clutch fork is on the other side of the bell housing so you need to allow for this. I too have kept my 4.6 ratio diffs so i have to modify my drive shafts to suit. Not sure about the clearance of the front drive shaft with the cross member it looks a bit close but that is next weekends job.RD radiator fitted using a TB42 shroud. Power steering pump different. Hopefully the conversion will be finished soon.

mudski
23rd March 2015, 09:58 AM
Just curious why you say the brakes need changing?? They are exactly the same between GU models (except tb48)??.

I have done this conversion mate and as alluded to by Kev you will need to move the drivers side engine mount (or fabricate an offset plate), you will need a TD42 gearbox and crossmember, diffs can stay as they are but at 4.6:1 you will most likely need larger tyres or it will rev a bit on the highway, front tail shaft is the same, rear will need some flange changes either on diff end or T/case.

Extrimal mentioned the throttle cable also need swapping over. There are off course other little bits and pieces which need modifying or using TD42 stuff. I had a complete donor so just swapped bits as needed using everything from the TD42.

Haha! You don't. Its only part of the driveline thats different. Maybe i was thinking the brakes as part of the driveline for some reason. Thanks for pointing this out.

The RD28's use the smaller H233B rear diff though don't they? Not the larger H260 rear.

mudski
23rd March 2015, 10:01 AM
Hi If it is one thing it is not a quick conversion. I am in the process of doing a RD28 to TD42 T conversion, i just modified the drivers side engine mount to suit (have picture if you want) i used a GQ TD42 ute as my donor car. The Ute had no AC so i used the RD28 AC compressor and modified a TB42 AC mounting bracket. Wiring is different so i had to rewire the TD wiring loom to suit the RD. I sold the donor car to quick to fund the project but i have found that there are parts that i needed so i should have held on to it. Clutch fork is on the other side of the bell housing so you need to allow for this. I too have kept my 4.6 ratio diffs so i have to modify my drive shafts to suit. Not sure about the clearance of the front drive shaft with the cross member it looks a bit close but that is next weekends job.RD radiator fitted using a TB42 shroud. Power steering pump different. Hopefully the conversion will be finished soon.

Start up a new thread mate with pics. This will help other wanting to do the same.

carsurgeons
17th April 2015, 07:49 PM
good luck with it all. there must be a pile of motors somewhere that we didn't want.

sooty_10
18th April 2015, 10:03 AM
Haha! You don't. Its only part of the driveline thats different. Maybe i was thinking the brakes as part of the driveline for some reason. Thanks for pointing this out.

The RD28's use the smaller H233B rear diff though don't they? Not the larger H260 rear.

Yeah rd28's use the H233B diff. The only drive line difference is the gearbox and rear tail shaft/diff/tcase flanges. The font was identical to my 2001 cab-chassis (both series 1).

ssRluis
28th September 2022, 01:05 PM
Hola como estan tengo una pregunta tengo un patrol y60 con motor rd28t con caja de cambio automatica y quiero cambiar la caja de cambio manual. Y quiero saver si la caja de cambios del zd30 es compatible con el motor rd28t???

mudnut
28th September 2022, 06:09 PM
Hola como estan tengo una pregunta tengo un patrol y60 con motor rd28t con caja de cambio automatica y quiero cambiar la caja de cambio manual. Y quiero saver si la caja de cambios del zd30 es compatible con el motor rd28t???

The RD28 uses a different gearbox.