PDA

View Full Version : warning lamp

neo64
19th February 2011, 08:49 PM
Hi all

I have a 4.2L EFI GQ patrol and a warning light has come on that I am not sure
of. The Light is orange and sits in the tacho guage area, it is a round orange
light with a horizontal dotted line through the centre and an arrow pointing
downwards. Forgive my ignorance but what is this telling me.

Thanks

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 08:59 PM
Hey mate - as said in the intro post, if it's in the dash cluster, sort of just off centre in the tacho area, then more than likely the air filter warning lamp - appreciate you said the filter had been replaced, but not sure if the sensor detects for anything else other than just a clogged filter etc.

I've seen this on here before, so I'll have a hunt and see if I can find the thread - no doubt someone else will be along shortly to assist anyway.

Clunk
19th February 2011, 09:00 PM
is the light on constantly or does it only come on under acceleration? If it's the latter I think it's the air filter warning light - it may be a little full of dust

neo64
19th February 2011, 09:09 PM
The light does go off after acceleration but takes a while, I might clean the area and filter tomorrow and see how that goes, I am
also wondering how the blocked filter is detected? is there a sensor in the housing somewhere?

the evil twin
19th February 2011, 09:14 PM
Another vote for the Air Filter Differential Pressure Warning

Clunk
19th February 2011, 09:16 PM
there's a little sensor that sits on top of the large pipe that runs from the airfilter box............ sorry I'm not technical, so don't know the terminology, just becareful when removing the top cover though coz the sensor is easliy damaged apparently.

neo64
19th February 2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks....I will tackle that with zest tomorrow.

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 09:22 PM
there's a little sensor that sits on top of the large pipe that runs from the airfilter box............ sorry I'm not technical, so don't know the terminology, just becareful when removing the top cover though coz the sensor is easliy damaged apparently.

The inlet ducting is the big pipe that runs from the top half of the air box. The square sensor is the Mass Air Flow sensor, and not sure if this warning light is connected to that sensor though - Tony and crew can shed more light on that one. If the MAF was dirty/malfunctioning, you would more than likely notice it in performance - i.e. The truck would potentially run rough, over or under fuel, etc.

As said, others will be along with far more knowledge than me to guide you through it.

the evil twin
19th February 2011, 09:39 PM

I think thats the MAF your talking about isn't it, Square Cover held in screws ? If not, my bad, sorry

The Air Filter Switch has small dia rubber tubing going to it and (from memory) is below and behind the Air Inlet Pipe. Been sooooo long since I played with one. God I feel bad I loved my EFI GQ and the memory is fading already

Where's Todd with a Piccy ?

YNOT
19th February 2011, 09:40 PM
The way you've been answering technical questions lately Scott, I'm starting to feel redundent!

The air filter clog sensor is mounted near the air box and has 2 small vacuum lines coming off it. One hose runs to the the top housing above the filter and the other to the bottom housing. When the sensor detects a lower pressure above the filter (indicated a blocked filter) it switches on the warning light.

Tony

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 09:42 PM
The way you've been answering technical questions lately Scott, I'm starting to feel redundent!

The air filter clog sensor is mounted near the air box and has 2 small vacuum lines coming off it. One hose runs to the the top housing above the filter and the other to the bottom housing. When the sensor detects a lower pressure above the filter (indicated a blocked filter) it switches on the warning light.

Tony

Mate - I'm not even close!! If you recall, I had a great teacher who told me about that same light about 5 months ago ... what was his name??? LOL!!!

YNOT
19th February 2011, 09:47 PM
Mate - I'm not even close!! If you recall, I had a great teacher who told me about that same light about 5 months ago ... what was his name??? LOL!!!

Maybe not with that question but some of your answers to other questions have been right on the mark.

Tony

the evil twin
19th February 2011, 09:52 PM
I think thats the MAF your talking about isn't it, Square Cover held in screws ? If not, my bad, sorry

The Air Filter Switch has small dia rubber tubing going to it and (from memory) is below and behind the Air Inlet Pipe. Been sooooo long since I played with one. God I feel bad I loved my EFI GQ and the memory is fading already

Tony

ROFL... we musta been typing the same keys at the same time

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2011, 10:05 PM

Toddie is off sick 2day, going out once 2 the car 2day was bad enough. Do we get paid for sick days in this profession *L*

Clunk
19th February 2011, 10:08 PM

Yep thats the one ET, thanks for clearing that one up............. like I said, I'm not mechanically technical lol

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1843-Warning-light-next-to-seatbelt-light&highlight=filter

does this help?

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1843-Warning-light-next-to-seatbelt-light&highlight=filter

does this help?

Sorry right from the get go for the jack!! But thanks Todd for posting that old thread - I can't help but ponder at what the last post in it was all about (from Reinaldo)?? Dead set had me giggling!!! LOL

Reinaldo!!!! Where are you over there old mate??? I need you to explain something!!!! LMFAO!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2011, 10:29 PM
Sorry right from the get go for the jack!! But thanks Todd for posting that old thread - I can't help but ponder at what the last post in it was all about (from Reinaldo)?? Dead set had me giggling!!! LOL

Reinaldo!!!! Where are you over there old mate??? I need you to explain something!!!! LMFAO!!!!

prob just a spammer that has slipped under the radar

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 10:32 PM
prob just a spammer that has slipped under the radar

A giggle none the less!