PDA

View Full Version : When idiots are involved in recoveries

NP99
11th August 2014, 07:35 PM
http://youtu.be/lXPJkzCkK-g

Just unnecessary damage. It's all funny until someone is injured or killed.

megatexture
11th August 2014, 07:39 PM
Not to mention using the tow ball, what an idiot

Edit.. Tow ball with a bow shackle over it .....

Dales300exc
11th August 2014, 07:56 PM
That engine was hating life. There seemed to be no sense of urgency either. I woulda been running to save that!

Poor recovery form. But clearly they had no real idea what they were doing anyway. Its a lake haha.

NP99
11th August 2014, 08:10 PM
I'd like to know how he ended up in there?

Rocket55
11th August 2014, 08:26 PM
I guess that's what happens when the average age of the group is about 19 and they think everything is funny.

NP99
11th August 2014, 08:27 PM
I guess that's what happens when the average age of the group is about 19 and they think everything is funny.

Yes, that laughing annoys the crap out of me...

Drewboyaus
12th August 2014, 08:09 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MEGOMONSTER
12th August 2014, 12:42 PM
What a d..khead

Punderhead
13th August 2014, 06:24 PM

While there is some truth to this, I object.

I'm 19 and would never conduct a recovery in that way. At least they had the sense to stand clear. Myself and my mates know more about 4x4 safety than a lot of older people I have come across. More than once I have offered help, and been called an idiot for taking safety seriously. I tell them do it my way or I won't do it. Generally they come around.

Unfortunately many older people don't listen earthier. I was out once, helped a couple guys in their 40s out of a bog, made them set up properly, didn't use the towball. 10 minutes later I saw a young bloke helping them out of another bog, with a strap on the ball. I went over and gave old mate a piece of my mind. The younger guy (19) asked me why it was bad, and I explained dangers etc. he listened, and I saw him later on in the day recovering another bloke properly.

It's all lack of education, but we need to get the message out, not just point the finger at young people.

Our only crime is getting stuck by trying stupid things in the first place

Cheers

Rocket55
13th August 2014, 09:37 PM
Fair point, I must admit I do know some very level headed and mature "19 year olds" or there abouts, but I also know that when it comes P platters bashing around in their cheap 4bys, my eyes tell me that the level headed 19 year olds are definitely in the minority. I've also seen my fair share of lunatic middle aged people too.

The dangerous people are the ones that think they know what they are doing.

Ben-e-boy
13th August 2014, 09:52 PM
I thought that was going to be much worse..

Woof
13th August 2014, 09:57 PM
I see that this occured in 2010, hopefully they have learnt by now with all the publicity on recovering safety from our site and others.
It is not only the young ones that are guilty of this, the older ones do tend to think that just because they have been doing it that way for so long without any issues they think that it is OK.
We all need to try and give advice in situations like that, the word is getting out there but it will take a bit more time I think.

mudnut
13th August 2014, 10:38 PM
As has been said before, it is a matter of education. I am guilty of using the towball for recovering my old 4wd Corolla. I thought is was ok to do so , because I had priced a winch that was designed to hook over the towball. It wasn't until I bought the Patrol and found this fantastic forum, that I was aware that a towball can be lethal. I still need to get this picture printed and laminated so I can keep it in the glove box to produce it as evidence when talking to others. Don't be backwards about coming forwards. Save lives by spreading the word as Punderhead has.

off it
30th September 2014, 09:10 PM
I had something very similar happen to me. Stopped to snatch a guy off the beach, i stopped he didn't. The first mistake was thinking a guy in his late thirties might not be too bad. But the big mistake was not seeing the warning signs:
First warning sign was the car, a Volkswagen Tiguan.
Second warning sign when he said these things are supposed to be great off road.
Third warning when he wanted to use the toe ball (which I refused to do).
Forth warning when he said he wished he still had his Jeep.
Fifth warning sign no recovery gear.
Flip, looking back now I ask why the heck didn’t I see the warning signs and walk away.
Damage to his car, busted tail light, bent tail gate, bent quarter panel, damaged bumper. Guess the reversing sensors don’t work to well either.
Damage to mine, minor dint in the bull bar.
We live and learn.