PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from TB42 to TB45 in GQ Patrol

Echotree
11th August 2014, 10:42 AM
Hi All,

I have a 1990 GQ Ti (High roof model) and would like to get a bit more power (mainly for better towing capability). It has a naturally aspirated TB42 with dual fuel set up.

I am wondering if it is possible to put a TB45 straight in without legal issues, such as engineers certificate etc...

I would like to stay with a naturally aspirated set up if possible. I noticed that the compression ratios on the EFI TB42 engine is different to the naturally aspirated TB42 (8.3:1 for Nat. Asp. as opposed to 8.5:1 for EFI) I therefore assume the TB45 with a compression ratio of 8.5:1, if run as naturally aspirated might be better at 8.3:1??? Does anyone know if this slightly higher compression ratio will make a detrimental difference to things if I run it naturally aspirated? Are there better solutions?

I have attached a pic of the vehicle and hope I have done it right so you can see it....

Any thoughts and advice backed by experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Bob
11th August 2014, 11:31 AM
The TB45 was first introduced in 1997 so to fit in a 1990 GQ you would require full Engineers certificate

Echotree
11th August 2014, 12:07 PM
OK, thanks Bob.

That saves me a lot of time and mucking about.

GQ TANK
19th September 2014, 07:49 PM
I thought there was a 30% increase in capacity allowed, as long as you did not change mounts etc?