PDA

View Full Version : Just a weird one...

Anaurath
9th August 2014, 09:55 PM
Hi there,

Since Y62 has been released, I'm always going around the following question:

Would be possible to fit the V8 coming in one of those (Y62) to a GU series I?? Sooner or later my engine (TB45 with 345.000K) will need a make up. To be honest, I´m not really confident on those Chevy engines, I would prefer to get stick to something Japanese (to me much more reliable).

If there were any chance to fit an Y62 engine, it could be awesome!!!

Anyone has some idea or knowledge about if it could be feasible??

Cheers

kevin07
9th August 2014, 09:58 PM
stick with the chev

P4trol
9th August 2014, 10:03 PM
The thought of the y62 engine in the y61 chassis makes me warm and fuzzy.

Ben-e-boy
9th August 2014, 10:20 PM
stick with the chev

Why?.........

kevin07
10th August 2014, 05:44 PM
Why?.........

the cost..

Ben-e-boy
10th August 2014, 07:23 PM
the cost..

Is that really all you can say? How about some more details to help out the OP a bit more

Anaurath
13th August 2014, 07:58 PM
Hi Guys,

Well I know that my question is a little bit weird and could be difficult to answer.
The new Nissan V8 is a killer... with near 300kW. And I presume that to support all this amount of torque some mods in the drive train will be required too.

In the other hand I know that Australia is a land for Diesels, however... I like petrol. To be honest I would go to one of those LS1 or LS3 conversions, but again US engines.

To me Japanese like Germans build things to last. They follow the specifications to even a cent of a millimetre, whilst American not. You can see old big Japanese engines 4.5 or 4.8 over gumtree with more the 400.000K on the clock, there are not so many with American engines, so talking about reliability I would trust a Japanese one always, but this is just my opinion and the main reason why I´m interested on this specific conversion, but I understand that perhaps is to early.

Cheers

kevin07
14th August 2014, 07:38 AM
Is that really all you can say? How about some more details to help out the OP a bit more

ok after the shock of the cost this being a new setup in itself there will be many problems to fitting this motor sure going to need a few adaptors here and there has any been made yet I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the first. eg back a few years ago putting a 350 in an eh piece of piss today playing with electronics and pedantic engineers something new all together hope that's enough.

Ben-e-boy
14th August 2014, 06:34 PM
ok after the shock of the cost this being a new setup in itself there will be many problems to fitting this motor sure going to need a few adaptors here and there has any been made yet I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the first. eg back a few years ago putting a 350 in an eh piece of piss today playing with electronics and pedantic engineers something new all together hope that's enough.

Yes, much more helpful than the 2 first posts.

tuckertrucker
19th December 2015, 06:56 PM
Yeah like Kevin said, I don't know if this has been done before and as its a big conversion there'll be a few first time surprises and lessons to learn. BUT!!! That should not be the reason you don't do it!!!! Its a mean assed motor and like you say itll be more reliable from the factory than most recon'd US motors.

I'd imagine your biggest issue with making it work will be the computers and control units. You'll need all the looms that run the motor as its pretty much entirely computer controlled. Next will be the drive train and whether it can hold the power in its current state.

Im currently toying with the idea of a Cummins 6BT conversion and Im quite lucky as the TD42 and 6BT are both mechanical engines with no computers. My biggest issue will be with mating the parts, and not shredding up the transmission.
Cheers, Dylan,

BigRAWesty
19th December 2015, 07:15 PM
I wonder if Kevin ' s tone has changed now that he owns one lol..

the evil twin
19th December 2015, 07:24 PM
I wonder if Kevin ' s tone has changed now that he owns one lol..
Dunno, but I agree with him.

The cost of the conversion Chev versus Nissan would be an extra zero on the bottom line and professional trauma counselling for the next 10 years trying to nut it out.

threedogs
19th December 2015, 09:27 PM
Im not sure it would even fit the Y62 is a very big 4x4.
If you like petrol then a Viper V10 may suit you better
plenty of 4x4s going around with Dodge power..
Even the nissan Infiniti sits nicely in a GQ, and dont forget
to supercharge it while youre at it

the evil twin
19th December 2015, 11:57 PM
Supercharger... nom, nom, nom...