PDA

View Full Version : Wheel alignment

charlzy999
7th August 2014, 03:03 PM
Everytime I get a wheel alignment and balance, within weeks it seems to go out again even without any off road use, steering wheels shakes is the first thing to happen along with pulling to one side. Any ideas why this would happen so quickly.
Gq patrol 2 inch lift

charlzy999
10th August 2014, 07:22 AM
Bump, anyone?

macca
10th August 2014, 07:45 AM
There are so many things that effect steering. Changing rim offset plays a part, tyre type, wear, pressure etc, incomplete lift package especially when a bigger lift is fitted. All bushes have to be if good shape, and bearings have no play. Spindles have to be in good Nick too. An alignment is not worth a pinch of crap if every other component is not up to scratch. Recently adjusted my front wheel bearings a bit too tight, the steering felt really positive. Backed the preload off a bit and a slight wobble is felt when on a high speed left sweeper. So I'm going to nip it up a bit more. Hope that helps a little.

Rossko07
28th October 2015, 05:11 PM
Digging up an old thread. I have recently lifted my 2012 GU by 2". How important is a wheel alignment on a live axle front end post lift? Are 'toe in' & 'toe out' the only adjustments?

4bye4
28th October 2015, 05:15 PM
I also have a 2" lift and haven't done anything special with the front end. There is a way to change the camber but I was told not necessary with a 2" lift and I am not experiencing and driving issues or excess tyre wear. A good ides to adjust the brake bias mount at the rear of the vehicle though.

Rossko07
28th October 2015, 05:20 PM
Yeah I'm worried about excess tyre wear especially. I learnt the hard way on a previous 4x4 after doing a lift so will be keeping on eye on that. I know there isn't much to adjust on a live axle but want to be sure. Might do a ring around. Can anyone recommend a local tyre shop north Brisbane around Carseldine/Aspley?

Fortunately my model GU does not have the rear brake bias valve so I'm safe there.

4bye4
28th October 2015, 05:37 PM
Might be worth a look at this. Nissan Patrol Reference Document pages 45 through 49. Sorry, not a bias valve but the load proportioning valve. I raised mine 2" after putting in the lift and it did make a difference.

Rock Trol
28th October 2015, 05:55 PM
I think Patrols tend to pull to the left on the road due to the camber on the road. I used to get an alignment yearly but it was never really out. It was always around 0.2mm which is nothing and I do a lot of off-roading. I will leave it until I notice something wrong. As macca suggested, there could be something else going on in your front end that is causing the problem. With the limited adjustment on a Patrol and the simple and robust front end its probably not an alignment issue.

Rossko07
28th October 2015, 07:05 PM
No problem at all in front end. Just checking IF a wheel alignment was necessary after a lift. Car drives beautifully. Thanks for the info though :)