PDA

View Full Version : Wanted- gq diesel instrument cluster

SHORTSANG86
5th August 2014, 12:51 PM
Hey guys just recently bought a 1990 swb safari with a gu 4.2 td42 and odometer and trip meter not working im chasing a instrument cluster anyone in perth help me out dont care how many kms it has on it as long as it works

Bloodyaussie
5th August 2014, 02:28 PM
Gday first can you head over to the intros and say gday.... polite and all..

Second there are 2 types of clocks mate..?

SHORTSANG86
5th August 2014, 03:44 PM
Sorry mate new to all this stuff and new to the site not sure where to post about things like this but thanks for the warm welcome hahaha

Bloodyaussie
5th August 2014, 04:15 PM
Do you have a pic of your clocks mate???

chrisc2306
5th August 2014, 04:42 PM
Is it the grey background with the yellow numbers that you are looking for? 24v?

SHORTSANG86
5th August 2014, 07:08 PM
Nah ill try get one tonight its the jap import safari 24volt not sure if that helps or makes a difference , and do you know the difference between the 2 clusters

chrisc2306
5th August 2014, 07:26 PM
I had the same problem when I got my safari and I actually just put a 12v one from a Patrol in it because that is all I could source and it worked no problem and is still working fine. The difference is the speedo, do, tacho, fuel are 24v the oil and temp are 12v but as I said a 12v cluster worked fine in mine. Hope this helps

SHORTSANG86
5th August 2014, 08:24 PM
thanks chris2306 that does help ...
but im struggling to even find one in perth doesnt help im away at work stuck on a island haha
does anyone know if they are hard to fix or cost much to get fixed? or is worth just finding a replacement

chrisc2306
5th August 2014, 09:26 PM
thanks chris2306 that does help ...
but im struggling to even find one in perth doesnt help im away at work stuck on a island haha
does anyone know if they are hard to fix or cost much to get fixed? or is worth just finding a replacement
I have heard that if you strip it down and try and resolder the connections on the back of the speedo it can sometimes get it back up and running. I tried this when my one stopped working but it never worked for me but I've heard of it working in the past so it might be worth giving that a shot first and seeing how you get on. I actually have a spare set up sitting in my garage but I'm in NZ unfortunately