PDA

View Full Version : GU Rear Shelf - about $100, easy as.

briscott
3rd August 2014, 09:04 PM
Hey blokes, I needed to knock up a shelf for the back of my truck and wanted it to be light, cheap, easy and look neat. It didn't have to hold lots of weight, I intend using it for lighter stuff.

So I thought about it for about 15 minutes, headed down to Bunnings to buy a fence panel and a post.

Total cuts were 3 - knocked the post in half to make bearers, cut the panel in half to make the shelf (top and bottom cut). All with the hacksaw.

The Z brackets bolt down to the 3rd row seat holes with the original bolts, the rest is just zinc bolts/washers with nylock nuts.

2400x900 fence panel - $59;
1800x50 fence post - $20;
50x100 Z brackets - $3.50x4;
50x50 end caps - $1x3 (post comes with one);
4 x 4" 5/16 bolts, 4 x 3" 5/16 bolts - nuts and washers to suit - $10;
2 x ~8-10mm 50x50 spacers for the rear Z brackets - free out of a bit of spare timber.
No paint required unless you want the heads of the bolts done.

Cost - $110
Total time to build - 2.5hrs
Weight - Not sure - 5-7kgs plus the mat??

I did buy a 1200x850 rubber mat from Bunnings for $29 which is pictured, what is not pictured is the ply ($9) to spread weight across the bars. A tip though if you do something similar is to whack a rubber mat ($7.50) from bunnings under the timber to stop any bounce noise - or attach each slat to the board.

Without the ply, the shelf if fine to put shopping/baggage etc etc on. The mat is quite heavy, grippy and has knobs on the back that give minimum deflection between the slats.

The slats are welded both ends from the factory, but I wouldn't concentrate 20kg on a slat or two. With the ply in place though, the thing will hold pretty reasonable weight.

Getting it out is easy, it comes out in a single piece. Undo the 4 seat bolts and its done.

MudRunnerTD
3rd August 2014, 10:21 PM
Good job mate, looks good

lucus30
3rd August 2014, 11:37 PM
Looks good mate. Good thinking

MEGOMONSTER
3rd August 2014, 11:49 PM
Great idea, would be strong enough to hold a bit of weight, but weight on (I'm assuming aluminium fence) when bouncing around might buckle.
But I love the idea. Up here for thinking.

briscott
4th August 2014, 12:33 AM
Great idea, would be strong enough to hold a bit of weight, but weight on (I'm assuming aluminium fence) when bouncing around might buckle.
But I love the idea. Up here for thinking.
Yep, needed something for clothes/bedding/chairs etc - lighter stuff. I'll bolt the ply on it, it should distribute the weight well enough to carry a bit more. I wouldn't sweat putting a full esky on it 'on road', might knock up some removable posts for the middle. Didn't put any in as I want to slide a table under it.

edit - Just looked at the pics, might add some swing down legs, could easily fit 3 across the door end and one at the seats end.

MEGOMONSTER
4th August 2014, 12:39 AM
Yep, needed something for clothes/bedding/chairs etc - lighter stuff. I'll bolt the ply on it, it should distribute the weight well enough to carry a bit more. I wouldn't sweat putting a full esky on it 'on road', might knock up some removable posts for the middle. Didn't put any in as I want to slide a table under it.

With nice bit of ply on it, it should be enough not to have a middle leg.

blocko05
20th May 2015, 05:56 AM
what a great idea, tanks for sharing

yummo
13th June 2015, 01:04 PM
Awesome idea!

Skitzyrex
21st June 2015, 06:06 PM
Done one up for my car also. Was $60. Just used some security mesh from the salvage yard and some 20mm square tubing. 5907659077

Chubba
24th June 2015, 09:30 PM
That's exactly the kind of thing that makes this forum so good. Ideas like that shared. Thanks mate.

Ibbo
24th June 2015, 10:27 PM
Done one up for my car also. Was $60. Just used some security mesh from the salvage yard and some 20mm square tubing. 5907659077
What did you fix yours to Skitzyrex?

Sent from my LG-D295 using Tapatalk

Skitzyrex
27th June 2015, 09:34 AM
What did you fix yours to Skitzyrex?

Sent from my LG-D295 using Tapatalk

Hey mate, the rear is bolted to where the rear seat belt bolts are. The front is bolted through the cargo barrier with a metal plate on the other side.

jackbyo
12th April 2021, 07:11 PM
Hey blokes, I needed to knock up a shelf for the back of my truck and wanted it to be light, cheap, easy and look neat. It didn't have to hold lots of weight, I intend using it for lighter stuff.

So I thought about it for about 15 minutes, headed down to Bunnings to buy a fence panel and a post.

Total cuts were 3 - knocked the post in half to make bearers, cut the panel in half to make the shelf (top and bottom cut). All with the hacksaw.

The Z brackets bolt down to the 3rd row seat holes with the original bolts, the rest is just zinc bolts/washers with nylock nuts.

2400x900 fence panel - $59;
1800x50 fence post - $20;
50x100 Z brackets - $3.50x4;
50x50 end caps - $1x3 (post comes with one);
4 x 4" 5/16 bolts, 4 x 3" 5/16 bolts - nuts and washers to suit - $10;
2 x ~8-10mm 50x50 spacers for the rear Z brackets - free out of a bit of spare timber.
No paint required unless you want the heads of the bolts done.

Cost - $110
Total time to build - 2.5hrs
Weight - Not sure - 5-7kgs plus the mat??

I did buy a 1200x850 rubber mat from Bunnings for $29 which is pictured, what is not pictured is the ply ($9) to spread weight across the bars. A tip though if you do something similar is to whack a rubber mat ($7.50) from bunnings under the timber to stop any bounce noise - or attach each slat to the board.

Without the ply, the shelf if fine to put shopping/baggage etc etc on. The mat is quite heavy, grippy and has knobs on the back that give minimum deflection between the slats.

The slats are welded both ends from the factory, but I wouldn't concentrate 20kg on a slat or two. With the ply in place though, the thing will hold pretty reasonable weight.

Getting it out is easy, it comes out in a single piece. Undo the 4 seat bolts and its done.

Talk about a thread dig, but I just wanted to say that I reckon this is a great lightweight alternative to rear drawers.
If you and the patrol are still around, do you have any long term feedback on how this shelf has worked out? Cheers