PDA

View Full Version : ECU diagnostics

nathan
19th February 2011, 01:05 PM
does my 92 gq 4.2 efi have a diagnostic block and where do i find it?

YNOT
19th February 2011, 01:09 PM
Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?595-Reading-and-erasing-GU-Patrol-fault-codes&highlight=erase+fault+codes

GQ Patrol diagnostic link connector will be in a similar position (under the dash on the RHS) to the one in the photo in that thread.

Tony

nathan
19th February 2011, 01:22 PM
thanks for the info,much appreciated

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2011, 01:28 PM
A couple of pics of the diagnostic block from my 92 GQ 4.2 EFI

Last pics shows my ECU reader, that plugs into my laptop, well worth getting one

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 04:29 PM
A couple of pics of the diagnostic block from my 92 GQ 4.2 EFI

Last pics shows my ECU reader, that plugs into my laptop, well worth getting one

Hey mate - and if it's not there, would it simply be tucked up in the cluster somewhere? Tried to find mine and no go ....

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Hey mate - and if it's not there, would it simply be tucked up in the cluster somewhere? Tried to find mine and no go ....

yeh it would be tucked up in there somewhere, as u can see half tell my electrics have been sorta been hacked at

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 05:45 PM
yeh it would be tucked up in there somewhere, as u can see half tell my electrics have been sorta been hacked at

Thanks mate - I'll have another hunt.

AB
19th February 2011, 06:02 PM
Do you get software too when you buy the reader Todd?

Where did you get the reader from?

Cheers mate.

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 06:15 PM
Do you get software too when you buy the reader Todd?

Where did you get the reader from?

Cheers mate.

X2 on that mate.

NissanGQ4.2
19th February 2011, 06:16 PM
I was going to buy the lead from ecutalk.com.au, but ended up buying from a dodgy looking website, http://www.dinodirect.com/nissan-consult-diagnostic-interface-currency-AUD.html.

26bucks +free delivery (BARGAIN)
EcuTalk cable 75bucks + post

I didn't like the look of the EcuTalk Cable, the wires going into the plug looks like a backyard job unfortunatly.

With the DinoDirect one you will have 2 buy a serial to usb lead, which isn't that dear. Unless your laptop still has one of those old ports.

Don't think it came with software but there is free software on the net you can download.

Cheers

Todd

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 07:37 PM
I was going to buy the lead from ecutalk.com.au, but ended up buying from a dodgy looking website, http://www.dinodirect.com/nissan-consult-diagnostic-interface-currency-AUD.html.

I didn't like the look of the EcuTalk Cable, the wires going into the plug looks like a backyard job unfortunatly.

With the DinoDirect one you will have 2 buy a serial to usb lead, which isn't that dear. Unless your laptop still has one of those old ports.

Don't think it came with software but there is free software on the net you can download.

Cheers

Todd

Star!! Thanks mate.

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 07:54 PM
Just bought one ... let's see what damage I can do when it gets here!!! LOL

Sir Roofy
20th February 2011, 11:26 AM
a couple of pics of the diagnostic block from my 92 gq 4.2 efi

last pics shows my ecu reader, that plugs into my laptop, well worth getting one

todd just have,n a look under the dash of my gu 4.5,only plug i could see was the same as yours
ya reckon that scanner will work on mine
cheers roofy

Sir Roofy
20th February 2011, 01:40 PM
todd just have,n a look under the dash of my gu 4.5,only plug i could see was the same as yours
cheers roofy

tony or ab do you think they would be the same connections ?

YNOT
20th February 2011, 03:13 PM
tony or ab do you think they would be the same connections ?

I think the answer is yes but I'll look into it to be sure.

Tony

YNOT
20th February 2011, 03:22 PM
cheers roofy

ECU talk is compatible with your Patrol Roofy, check this link to ECU talk website it has heaps of good information; http://www.ecutalk.com/consultlcd/userguide.pdf

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
20th February 2011, 03:33 PM
Roofy, do you just want the connection from the plug going 2 a laptop or do you want a display like the ECUTALK one?

NissanGQ4.2
20th February 2011, 03:43 PM
Nisspat might like 2 jump into this thread and share his knowledge

Sir Roofy
20th February 2011, 04:14 PM
Roofy, do you just want the connection from the plug going 2 a laptop or do you want a display like the ECUTALK one?

thanks guys the one that you bought todd for $26 bucks that will suit my trol

Bob
20th February 2011, 04:21 PM
thanks guys the one that you bought todd for $26 bucks that will suit my trol

Roofy I have purchased one and it should be here for the Weekend and if so I will bring it with me together with my Laptop so we can try it then

Sir Roofy
20th February 2011, 04:30 PM
roofy i have purchased one and it should be here for the weekend and if so i will bring it with me together with my laptop so we can try it then

ok bob thats a date,i havnt seen any thing to say mines got any probs but would be handy to have one,might,n be able to fix it but will be aware of what the faults are if i need a machanic

NissanGQ4.2
20th February 2011, 04:49 PM
Roofy I have purchased one and it should be here for the Weekend and if so I will bring it with me together with my Laptop so we can try it then

Ur a good man Bob, hope it works out

boggy2006
20th February 2011, 05:30 PM

Cheers

Todd

wow, thanks for the link. Just ordered one to have a play. Do you have a link to the software you used? Thanks

NissanGQ4.2
20th February 2011, 05:44 PM
wow, thanks for the link. Just ordered one to have a play. Do you have a link to the software you used? Thanks

I havn't played around with it much but i am having a look at ECUTALKS software at the moment http://www.ecutalk.com/ecutalk.aspx.
Free software, but if you like please donate something, from what i have read Peter from ECUTALK is a top bloke.

Cheers

Todd

Bigrig
20th February 2011, 06:06 PM
I havn't played around with it much but i am having a look at ECUTALKS software at the moment http://www.ecutalk.com/ecutalk.aspx.
Free software, but if you like please donate something, from what i have read Peter from ECUTALK is a top bloke.

Cheers

Todd

Yep - downloaded it yesterday with the updates (and yes, did donate also - great concept that he should be rewarded for).

Bob
28th February 2011, 12:14 PM
Yep - downloaded it yesterday with the updates (and yes, did donate also - great concept that he should be rewarded for).

Received Nissan Consult interface today and dowloaded ECU Talk. Any tricks Bigrig

boggy2006
28th February 2011, 02:15 PM
mine's just been posted so waiting for it to arrive

NissanGQ4.2
28th February 2011, 08:44 PM
Received Nissan Consult interface today and dowloaded ECU Talk. Any tricks Bigrig

how did you go Bob??? Have you got it up and running?

Bob
1st March 2011, 06:28 AM
how did you go Bob??? Have you got it up and running?

No I havnt had the time . Hope to have a play over the Weekend. Will post my results

Bigrig
1st March 2011, 09:23 PM
Haven't received mine yet, but that said, I haven't found the connector under the dash yet either!! Looking forward to tinkering with it though ...

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2011, 09:38 PM
Haven't received mine yet, but that said, I haven't found the connector under the dash yet either!! Looking forward to tinkering with it though ...

well if u came over on the Sunday, we could of had a few 2 many bourbons and with a pair of wire cutters i'm sure we could of found the plug *L*

Bigrig
1st March 2011, 10:46 PM
well if u came over on the Sunday, we could of had a few 2 many bourbons and with a pair of wire cutters i'm sure we could of found the plug *L*

My bad brother, but I'll make a bigger effort next time and we'll see if we can't break something!! LOL

boggy2006
4th March 2011, 10:08 AM

hi, how long did it take to receive it from Dino direct after you got the shipping confirmation? Mine was posted on Sunday 27th Feb, but still haven't got it yet. Did you get a tracking number? I paid extra for the insurance and tracking number, but didn't get that either.

cheers

HippoNZ
4th March 2011, 10:33 AM
first things first I had no idea that a 92 gq had this capability, so after reading this thread I thought I'd look into one of these eletronic diagnostics thingys since I drowned my truck in a river and have all sorts of electrical problems now lol
Can you guys make it clear for me...
You buy the cable that plugs from your truck to your laptop
Download free software that tells you whats wrong???
then go get it fixed

cheers and beers

NissanGQ4.2
4th March 2011, 05:22 PM
first things first I had no idea that a 92 gq had this capability, so after reading this thread I thought I'd look into one of these eletronic diagnostics thingys since I drowned my truck in a river and have all sorts of electrical problems now lol
Can you guys make it clear for me...
You buy the cable that plugs from your truck to your laptop
Download free software that tells you whats wrong???
then go get it fixed

cheers and beers
You can read certain information from the ECU and its easier to read fault codes using software and a laptop, I would not say it tells you everything that is wrong, I have not really played with mine 2 much. But for the price i think its worth getting one, you can get a cheap one like i did, or go something a bit pricier and have a permanent readout display mounted in the vehicle

Sir Roofy
5th March 2011, 07:04 PM
hi there bob
did you have a go at working out the ECU am interested in your
results

Bob
5th March 2011, 07:05 PM
hi there bob
did you have a go at working out the ECU am interested in your
results

Not yet mate. Was going to this weekend but Work is getting in the way. Will let you know when I have a go

Sir Roofy
5th March 2011, 07:11 PM
alls good bob sounds like a plan

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Scotty, have you installed yours yet or are you still looking for the plug???

Bob, the weekend has come and gone, so whats the verdict????

Boogy2006, have you received yours yet?????

Sir Roofy
9th March 2011, 06:40 PM
Was wondering myself how it was going
i orderd one but nothing as yet

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2011, 06:41 PM
Was wondering myself how it was going
i orderd one but nothing as yet

how long ago did you order it?, think it only took a few days when i ordered mine.

Sir Roofy
9th March 2011, 06:51 PM
Hi todd
2weeks this sunday coming,partners son orderd it for me

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2011, 06:58 PM
Hi todd
2weeks this sunday coming,partners son orderd it for me

2 weeks!!!! my old man ordered mine when he got his, will ring him and ask how long it took, but i'm sure it wasn't that long

Sir Roofy
9th March 2011, 07:02 PM
It could be in melbourne cant get onto the boy at the moment footy training
will let you know later on tonite or tommorrow

NissanGQ4.2
9th March 2011, 07:03 PM
my old man said it took about 2 weeks for them 2 arrive!

Sir Roofy
9th March 2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks todd will let you know

Dhuck
10th March 2011, 07:50 AM
I am really looking forward to hearing how these units work out. The actions that can be performed with them sounds handy. If they work ok I will steal Scotty's and not give it back. Maybe I will just purchase my own.

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 07:58 AM

Found the plug - right where you said it would be mate, thanks! Still haven't received the unit though?

Bob
10th March 2011, 08:04 AM

Work has got in the way of trying it out and I am going away this Long Weekend. It looks like my next 3 weekends are taken up.
But I will get around to it eventully

boggy2006
10th March 2011, 09:56 AM
not received mine yet, the posted it a couple of weeks ago. Sent me a tracking number which says International on Aus post, but there's no details against it. In fact if I type any number in with the same first and last 2 characters it says the same thing. The automated response with the tracking number is poor English, so I think it might be coming from China or somewhere.

Bob
10th March 2011, 10:11 AM
not received mine yet, the posted it a couple of weeks ago. Sent me a tracking number which says international on aus post, but there's no details against it. In fact if i type any number in with the same first and last 2 characters it says the same thing. The automated response with the tracking number is poor english, so i think it might be coming from china or somewhere.

mine came the same way and took at least a couple of weeks to arrive (and now i havnt the time to play with it)

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 10:15 AM
The site does say 7 to 10 working days for delivery - we ordered ours about 3 weeks ago, but got a notice to say it was dispatched on the 27th Feb. I'll give it a few more days before I humour the possibility that I've been jipped!! LOL

boggy2006
10th March 2011, 11:08 AM
I just found a statement saying it'll take 15-25 days, so there's hope yet. Paid by Paypal so claiming the money back is an option.

Bigrig
10th March 2011, 11:12 AM
I just found a statement saying it'll take 15-25 days, so there's hope yet. Paid by Paypal so claiming the money back is an option.

15-25 days??? I could have swum to China and picked it up myself in that timeframe!!! ... well ... I could have thought about swimming there in that timeframe ...

She'll be right - they are probably using the Chinese courier company "Ahhh, Truck You" ... so I'm sure we'll see them soon!!! LOL

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 08:54 PM
Still don't have mine ... getting a bit toey now ...

boggy2006
18th March 2011, 10:52 PM
still not received mine and it's been over 4 weeks. I tried the online customer service, but it won't allow me to ask any more questions as it says my previous question is still open, despite them sending me an email with the tracking number to close the previous question. Like I say, that tracking number just says international on Auspost and any number with the same first and last 2 digits says the same. The live customer service does not work, no-one ever there, no email addess and no telephone number, so raised a claim through Paypal now.

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 10:54 PM
still not received mine and it's been over 4 weeks. I tried the online customer service, but it won't allow me to ask any more questions as it says my previous question is still open, despite them sending me an email with the tracking number to close the previous question. Like I say, that tracking number just says international on Auspost and any number with the same first and last 2 digits says the same. The live customer service does not work, no-one ever there, no email addess and no telephone number, so raised a claim through Paypal now.

About to do the same - haven't received ours either.

Bob
19th March 2011, 10:25 AM
About to do the same - haven't received ours either.

I received mine but i am not sure how long it took but it was at least 3/4 weeks. I would not give up yet

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 10:51 AM
I received mine but i am not sure how long it took but it was at least 3/4 weeks. I would not give up yet

Mine was ordered and paid for on the 16th Feb I think, so it's been over a month ... time to claim me thinks.

Dhuck
19th March 2011, 11:16 AM
I want to get one. But I wish to know how good they are before I go through the crap you guys have been through just to receive the damn thing.

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 11:28 AM
I want to get one. But I wish to know how good they are before I go through the crap you guys have been through just to receive the damn thing.

I saw Todd's, which is the same unit I ordered. Learning how to interpret the software is the key, but it looked the goods for the information it spits out.

Dhuck
19th March 2011, 11:34 AM
The available software out there will help. If you used the few free applications, you could easily decipher what everything is. I do not have the unit but have the software and had a brief look at it. I just need the unit to give me some figures

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 11:44 AM
The available software out there will help. If you used the few free applications, you could easily decipher what everything is. I do not have the unit but have the software and had a brief look at it. I just need the unit to give me some figures

Sounds like another weekend on the hooley to me, to muck around with it when it arrives!!! LOL

Dhuck
19th March 2011, 12:03 PM
Sounds good to me

Bigrig
19th March 2011, 01:32 PM
Sounds good to me

Lock it in Eddie!!! I'll warn the kidneys of impending punishment!! LOL

Dhuck
19th March 2011, 02:09 PM
I don't think our kidney's exist any more.

boggy2006
20th March 2011, 04:06 PM
now that I raised the Paypal dispute, I got a repsonse from them (funny that's happened with the last 3 items I've had problems with that came from area of the world). The tracking website is http://app3.hongkongpost.com/CGI/mt/genresult.jsp (like I could have guessed that!).

It didn't leave HK until 11th March, 2 weeks after it was sent and will now take 15-25 days to get here!

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 04:46 PM
now that I raised the Paypal dispute, I got a repsonse from them (funny that's happened with the last 3 items I've had problems with that came from area of the world). The tracking website is http://app3.hongkongpost.com/CGI/mt/genresult.jsp (like I could have guessed that!).

It didn't leave HK until 11th March, 2 weeks after it was sent and will now take 15-25 days to get here!

Missus is lodging the dispute right now ... bloody crooks!

Bigrig
22nd March 2011, 06:45 PM
Mine arrived today!!!! Let's see how they go, coz on the dispute they told us (literally yesterday) that it hadn't been dispatched due to backlogs of orders and did we want to wait or get a refund - we said refund!!!

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2011, 06:56 PM
Mine arrived today!!!! Let's see how they go, coz on the dispute they told us (literally yesterday) that it hadn't been dispatched due to backlogs of orders and did we want to wait or get a refund - we said refund!!!

fark........... that took ages, good 2 hear it has finally arrived, let me know how you find it. Still really haven't played around with mine yet!

Bigrig
22nd March 2011, 07:07 PM
fark........... that took ages, good 2 hear it has finally arrived, let me know how you find it. Still really haven't played around with mine yet!

Not wrong mate - can't wait to tinker though - hope I don't break anything!! lol

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2011, 07:09 PM
Not wrong mate - can't wait to tinker though - hope I don't break anything!! lol

Not much u can break......after all its only the computer that runs the car *LMAO*

Bigrig
22nd March 2011, 07:26 PM
Not much u can break......after all its only the computer that runs the car *LMAO*

Ummmm ... maybe I should return it! LOL

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2011, 07:34 PM
Ummmm ... maybe I should return it! LOL

Ring them now and say you will be returning it in 1, 2 or 3 years time *LMAO*

boggy2006
23rd March 2011, 11:30 AM

so your's hadn't been dispatched yet you got it, mine has been dispatched, but haven't got it!

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 11:33 AM
so your's hadn't been dispatched yet you got it, mine has been dispatched, but haven't got it!

Yeah - go figure!! Bunch of clowns ... hoepfully I'll get my refund also - happy with the wait if it ends up being free!!! I am going out today to get a USB to 9 pin VGA connector, and will tinker with it later on ..

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know how to calculate injector size in cc's per minute??

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 07:28 PM
Right - now all I have to do is learn how to use it!!! LOL ... no error codes at least!! The guages are all good, but not much use to me if I don't know the "ranges" each item is supposed to be in ... can't wait to learn though!!

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 07:31 PM
Very funky though (by the way) that it can be used for litres per hundred, total litres used, speedo, etc ... was a bit of a challenge connecting it as I'm running windows 7.0 and the serial adaptor doesn't have drivers for it (thanks for telling me that before I bought it Dick Smith!!!). Got around that though ...

Going to go down to Derek's on Friday (in Melbourne tomorrow), and get him to run his - measure and gather details, then run this one and qualify what marries up to what so I know what I should be looking at - I'll post up a bit of a "users manual" once done for everyone else to use.

YNOT
23rd March 2011, 08:32 PM

Doesn't the ECUtalk give you the abillity to play around with mixtures and ignition timing to some extent? If it does you just know he won't be able to leave it alone!

Tony

NissanGQ4.2
23rd March 2011, 08:45 PM
Right - now all I have to do is learn how to use it!!! LOL ... no error codes at least!! The guages are all good, but not much use to me if I don't know the "ranges" each item is supposed to be in ... can't wait to learn though!!

for someone that gets good deals on computers, that looks like 1 dusty old laptop!!!! when you work it all out, let me know. Not sure on injector size in cc's per minute, looking it 2 it, but not much info on the net about it unfortunately.

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 08:50 PM
Doesn't the ECUtalk give you the abillity to play around with mixtures and ignition timing to some extent? If it does you just know he won't be able to leave it alone!

Tony

Not that I'm aware of as yet - doesn't look like it though - other programs might ... I'll start looking!!! LOL

Bigrig
23rd March 2011, 08:51 PM
for someone that gets good deals on computers, that looks like 1 dusty old laptop!!!! when you work it all out, let me know. Not sure on injector size in cc's per minute, looking it 2 it, but not much info on the net about it unfortunately.

That dusty old laptop is a HP Probook something or other my furry little friend ... like I care though!!! It works!! Can't wait to figure a bit more out with it ....

YNOT
24th March 2011, 06:24 PM

Tony

I was right. I just checked ECUtalks website and found this;

"Adjustments
Important – USE ADJUSTMENTS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Adjustments are available for fuel and ignition timing on petrol vehicles only. Adjustments are applied ‘across the board’ and starting in v2.03 firmware, are active whilst on one of the main sensor/trip meter screens, along with the adjustment screen itself. The adjustments utilise the ‘active tests’ available via consult. Note: It is unknown if there are any situations/conditions that the ECU may not apply the active tests, as the intention of the active tests is primarily for diagnosis.
Fuel % - Adjusts the percentage of nominal fuel (that would otherwise be used) that gets injected. E.g. 95% means the mixture will be leaner, 105% means it will be richer.
Ignition Timing – Adjusts the ignition timing in advance (+) or retard (-) of nominal ignition timing the ECU would have used otherwise. Note: All cars support retarding timing, but not many support advance of timing."

Tony

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Oh Lord ... I am going to break something!!! LOL

Thanks Tony

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 07:56 PM
Tony, question if I may.

My rig's timing is advanced 4 degrees (is that the terminology?), and apparently being dual fuel, I was told the engine will "ping" if it's advanced too much in favour of gas. What does this actually mean (the "ping" bit) and do you reckon if I advanced it using ECUTalk 1 degree at a time till I find "the sweet spot" that it would affect performance that much on gas?

Ok, ok ... Two questions!! LOL

Thanks in advance.

YNOT
24th March 2011, 10:10 PM
1a (short answer), Pinging is the sound the engine makes when the timing is over advanced.
1b (long answer), Normally in a 4 stroke petrol engine you set the ignition so the spark occurs a couple of degrees before top dead centre (BTDC) on the compression stroke, which means that the flame front in the combustion chamber is propagating as the piston finishes rising in the cylinder. Setting it this way ensures that maximum combustion pressure is achieved at TDC for best power. If the timing is over advanced maximum combustion pressure will occur as the piston is still rising on the compression stroke which causes a knocking or pinging sound as it tries to push the piston back down the compression stroke rather than down on the power stroke.

2, High octane fuels like LPG can handle a bit more advance, the downside being for dual fuel cars like yours that you have to comprimise the timing for both fuels. With the ECUtalk you will have the abillity leave the distributor timing advanced for LPG but retard the timing back to normal through the ECUtalk when you run on petrol so you don't have to comprimise for either fuel.

Tony

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:14 PM
1a (short answer), Pinging is the sound the engine makes when the timing is over advanced.
1b (long answer), Normally in a 4 stroke petrol engine you set the ignition so the spark occurs a couple of degrees before top dead centre (BTDC) on the compression stroke, which means that the flame front in the combustion chamber is propagating as the piston finishes rising in the cylinder. Setting it this way ensures that maximum combustion pressure is achieved at TDC for best power. If the timing is over advanced maximum combustion pressure will occur as the piston is still rising on the compression stroke which causes a knocking or pinging sound as it tries to push the piston back down the compression stroke rather than down on the power stroke.

2, High octane fuels like LPG can handle a bit more advance, the downside being for dual fuel cars like yours that you have to comprimise the timing for both fuels. With the ECUtalk you will have the abillity leave the distributor timing advanced for LPG but retard the timing back to normal through the ECUtalk when you run on petrol so you don't have to comprimise for either fuel.

Tony

Thanks a million mate - on the last paragraph I'm not quite with you. Are you suggesting I use ECUTalk to advance it for gas, but then I have to use it also to retard it for fuel?? That is, I'd have to have the unit in the car all the time??

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry, one more - so in advancing it for gas, as per my original question, should I do it 1 degree at a time and test drive after each change to find how far I can advance it???

YNOT
24th March 2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks a million mate - on the last paragraph I'm not quite with you. Are you suggesting I use ECUTalk to advance it for gas, but then I have to use it also to retard it for fuel?? That is, I'd have to have the unit in the car all the time??

Not quite, there are 2 ways to do it.
1, In post #86 you said your timing (distributor timing) was advanced 4 degrees (I'm assuming that was done so it runs better on LPG). If you leave that as is then your base timing is for gas and you then ECUtalk retard it 4 degrees for petrol.

2, Reset the timing back to standard so your base timing is for petrol then ECUtalk advance it 4 degrees for LPG. That is how I would do it.
If you are finding that it runs OK on petrol at 4 degrees advanced then leave it there (as petrol base timing) and advance it 1 or 2 degrees at a time for LPG until it just starts to ping - turn the radio OFF for this, then retard it 2 degrees to stop it pinging. If an engine is allowed to ping for too long engine damage will occur so be careful.

Tony

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:43 PM
Not quite, there are 2 ways to do it.
1, In post #86 you said your timing (distributor timing) was advanced 4 degrees (I'm assuming that was done so it runs better on LPG). If you leave that as is then your base timing is for gas and you then ECUtalk retard it 4 degrees for petrol.

2, Reset the timing back to standard so your base timing is for petrol then ECUtalk advance it 4 degrees for LPG. That is how I would do it.
If you are finding that it runs OK on petrol at 4 degrees advanced then leave it there (as petrol base timing) and advance it 1 or 2 degrees at a time for LPG until it just starts to ping - turn the radio OFF for this, then retard it 2 degrees to stop it pinging. If an engine is allowed to ping for too long engine damage will occur so be careful.

Tony

Thanks mate - might play with that Saturday morning as I'm still not quite with you (only on the base timing etc bit - didn't think you could set it differently for either fuel source).

NissanGQ4.2
18th April 2012, 09:27 PM
Digging up an old thread,

Roofy, did you get yours and did it work?

boggy2006, havn't seen you on here in a while, hope all is well, same Q for you if you see this thread

Cheers

Todd

Sir Roofy
20th April 2012, 10:15 AM
digging up an old thread,

roofy, did you get yours and did it work?

Boggy2006, havn't seen you on here in a while, hope all is well, same q for you if you see this thread

cheers

todd

hi ya toddy got it never used got the 3l now so i dont really need it now
thanks mate for your interest