PDA

View Full Version : My DIY fitting of a Runva EWX1200 winch to a Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar

harrythomas
2nd August 2014, 04:04 PM
I have been looking at installing a 13.5XF Runva winch to fit to my Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar.

The retailer had recommended a 11xp or a ewx1200. I was a bit concerned these may be a bit small but thanks to lucus30 who suggested that I can always do a a double or triple line pull one of these would be sufficient. On Monday I ordered a Runva EWX1200 Winch. It arrived three days later so I had a go at fitting it.

Well, unfortunately the winch will not bolt up as there is not enough room for the winch motor to fit between the bullbar mounting and the chassis. It misses by about 15mm

After searching the forum it appears that I need to mount the winch upside down thanks to a post by MudRunnerTD. So I checked this out on my bullbar and it will bolt in upside down as long as there no other problems. I emailed the supplier for advice on fitting it upside down and they checked with Rumva.

The advice that Runva gave was, “That as long as the rope still goes in and out in the right directions it will be fine to install upside down. Just make sure the rope is feeding out of the hawes properly.” Excellent!!! and great after sales service.

So today I had another go at fitting it – upside down. Needed longer bolts for the top as the fairline needs to be fitted with the same bolts as the top of the winch and I had to extend the earth wire from the control unit to the motor. I will test it next weekend.

lucus30
2nd August 2014, 04:22 PM
I have been looking at installing a 13.5XF Runva winch to fit to my Nissan Patrol Genuine Bullbar.

The retailer had recommended a 11xp or a ewx1200. I was a bit concerned these may be a bit small but thanks to lucus30 who suggested that I can always do a a double or triple line pull one of these would be sufficient. On Monday I ordered a Runva EWX1200 Winch. It arrived three days later so I had a go at fitting it.

Well, unfortunately the winch will not bolt up as there is not enough room for the winch motor to fit between the bullbar mounting and the chassis. It misses by about 15mm

After searching the forum it appears that I need to mount the winch upside down thanks to a post by MudRunnerTD. So I checked this out on my bullbar and it will bolt in upside down as long as there no other problems. I emailed the supplier for advice on fitting it upside down and they checked with Rumva.

The advice that Runva gave was, “That as long as the rope still goes in and out in the right directions it will be fine to install upside down. Just make sure the rope is feeding out of the hawes properly.” Excellent!!! and great after sales service.

So today I had another go at fitting it – upside down. Needed longer bolts for the top as the fairline needs to be fitted with the same bolts as the top of the winch and I had to extend the earth wire from the control unit to the motor. I will test it next weekend.

Looks good. Let us know how it performs

MEGOMONSTER
2nd August 2014, 05:17 PM
They had difficulty fitting to an ARB deluxe bar too, but I think did the same thing.

dads tractor
2nd August 2014, 10:04 PM
And did you put in a isolate switch from the controller ?

harrythomas
3rd August 2014, 08:43 PM

I will let you konw. I need to pick up a three protector and a couple of bow shackles this week so I can try it.

harrythomas
3rd August 2014, 08:49 PM
And did you put in a isolate switch from the controller ?

Not as yet, but I do plan to plus I also thought that I should install a fuse on the positive feed from the battery. Do you have a view on that?

Thanks.

lucus30
3rd August 2014, 11:45 PM
Not as yet, but I do plan to plus I also thought that I should install a fuse on the positive feed from the battery. Do you have a view on that?

Thanks.

My understanding is that most don't put fuses for a few reasons.

You need a pretty big fuse and need to carry spares and most will have a manual isolator fitted so its really only at risk of shorting while not isolated.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions

dads tractor
4th August 2014, 01:51 PM

Thanks.

No mate keep it very simple cut the blue wire that runs to the power battery cable (middle large terminal )and spliced in 3mm twin core pair and ran back to switch in cab .Its only to break the circuit at the controller on the box on the front .If you use the remote and have the box isolated you will have full function through the remote . Tried to upload 3 pics but cant get it too happen tried AB's directions still no luck and not enough patience.

RUNVA 11000

4795747958[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]47960]47959

Sorry its so messy but 2 photos show the original wire layout and 2 show the red and black spliced in to go too cab switch .If a Mod has time feel free to tidy up .

harrythomas
4th August 2014, 08:37 PM
My understanding is that most don't put fuses for a few reasons.

You need a pretty big fuse and need to carry spares and most will have a manual isolator fitted so its really only at risk of shorting while not isolated.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions

It was just a thought as I have the electric jacks on my camper fused but they only need a 60 Amp one and I guess the winch would need one much bigger. Just isolating it sounds easier. Thanks for your input.

harrythomas
4th August 2014, 08:45 PM
No mate keep it very simple cut the blue wire that runs to the power battery cable (middle large terminal )and spliced in 3mm twin core pair and ran back to switch in cab .Its only to break the circuit at the controller on the box on the front .If you use the remote and have the box isolated you will have full function through the remote . Tried to upload 3 pics but cant get it too happen tried AB's directions still no luck and not enough patience.

RUNVA 11000

Sounds like a interesting idea. Would be good to see the photos if you could get them loaded.

harrythomas
5th August 2014, 08:34 PM

RUNVA 11000

4795747958[/ATTACH[ATTACH=CONFIG]47960]47959

Sorry its so messy but 2 photos show the original wire layout and 2 show the red and black spliced in to go too cab switch .If a Mod has time feel free to tidy up .

Thanks for putting your time in to get those photos loaded dads tractor. I sure they will be a great help when I get back to it finishing the final bits and pieces.

Harry.

harrythomas
10th August 2014, 08:31 PM

Gave the Runva winch a try on the weekend.

The winch worked effortlessly when set up with a double line pull.

With a single line pull the winch had to work a bit but was not a problem.

I am very happy with the winch so far.

sooty_10
11th August 2014, 12:15 PM
Not sure about the Runva's, but do they have drain holes on the motor housings? I noticed you installed upside down which is common with warn winches on patrols, which if not done correctly results in drain holes becoming fill holes, not good for reliability at all, and why warns seem to fail from water ingress when it is the installer who failed :)

Good write up though mate, if I was buying a winch new I'd probably get a runva for the value for money.

lucus30
11th August 2014, 02:59 PM
Not sure about the Runva's, but do they have drain holes on the motor housings? I noticed you installed upside down which is common with warn winches on patrols, which if not done correctly results in drain holes becoming fill holes, not good for reliability at all, and why warns seem to fail from water ingress when it is the installer who failed :)

Good write up though mate, if I was buying a winch new I'd probably get a runva for the value for money.

They don't have drain holes as they are fully sealed.

harrythomas
11th August 2014, 08:45 PM

Glad you enjoyed it sooty-10. I believe that the Runva is a sealed unit as lucus30 has pointed out. Runvas main concern forwarded on to me when I was fitting it upside down was that I didn't change the direction of the winch rope. Apparently that is important.

sooty_10
11th August 2014, 10:22 PM
Glad you enjoyed it sooty-10. I believe that the Runva is a sealed unit as lucus30 has pointed out. Runvas main concern forwarded on to me when I was fitting it upside down was that I didn't change the direction of the winch rope. Apparently that is important.

Sweet I assumed you had it covered :)

The low mounts have an internal drum brake which activates when the drum is trying to go the wrong way. So if you had the rope direction wrong it possibly would be trying to work against the brake and cause excessive heat/wear and also you would have no drum brake when needed.

harrythomas
12th August 2014, 08:38 PM
Sweet I assumed you had it covered :)

The low mounts have an internal drum brake which activates when the drum is trying to go the wrong way. So if you had the rope direction wrong it possibly would be trying to work against the brake and cause excessive heat/wear and also you would have no drum brake when needed.

Thanks for that info. Very handy to know the reason.