PDA

View Full Version : my nissan wont start

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:02 PM
my name is nathan and i bought a ti 4.2 gq wagon and now it wont start. it has spark plenty of fuel and injector pulse,whats going on with it? could it be a coolant temperature sensor or similar?

YNOT
19th February 2011, 02:12 PM
How much fuel pressure and flow does it have, and how old is the petrol? Has any other work be done to the car lately before this happened?

Tony

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:13 PM
can a faulty sensor cause my nissan to not start. my car will turn over but wont start unless i block fuel line and give it full throttle to start. efi engines should need no throttle to start but mine wont start without it.does the coolant temp sensor control the ammount of fuel injected into engine and how do i check for faults in sensors without an auto electrician?

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:15 PM
fuel pressure seems to be ok, the fuel is new. the only way i can start it is to block fuel line and give it full throttle while winding.once started i unblock fuel line and it runs.

YNOT
19th February 2011, 02:17 PM
Which fuel line are you blocking? If it's the return line then that suggests you may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump causing low fuel pressure.

Tony

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:20 PM
the line just before fuel filter

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:25 PM
will a scanner identify fuel pressure problems

YNOT
19th February 2011, 02:37 PM
No a scanner will not properly identify a fuel pressure problem, you need a gauge for that. If you are having to block the main fuel line (reducing fuel to engine) and use full throttle, that suggests the computer is trying to inject too much fuel. There are a number of things that could cause that. Faulty coolant temp sensor, faulty airflow meter etc.

Tony

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:38 PM
sorry for posting new threads,im only new to this and am finding it hard to get the info i need.

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:39 PM
would there be an easy way to check coolant temp sensor?

YNOT
19th February 2011, 02:41 PM
No worries mate, I'm trying to help you but was having to chase you all around the forum to do it. Much easier when it's all kept together.

Tony

YNOT
19th February 2011, 02:44 PM
would there be an easy way to check coolant temp sensor?

Not accurately, easiest way is to just replace it. One of our other regular members (Big rig) had a similar problems recently and the cause was the coolant temp sensor. In his case it started a bit rough and had a high idle.

Tony

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:47 PM
thanhs mate. i have a young family and live in the bush and this car is my only way to get into town.looking for the cheapest way to fix without going without my car for too long.

nathan
19th February 2011, 02:50 PM
mine was running rough and then cleared itself after a while but it is deffinately idling too high around 1400 rpm. is this sensor expensive to replace and where do i get one.couple of mechanics have said similar things so it looks like thats what it might be.

YNOT
19th February 2011, 02:57 PM
Check post #46 of this thread for the sensors location and what it looks like; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2091-PLEASE-HELP!!!!-Tank-is-Battling!!!!-Arrrrgggghhhh/page5&highlight=battling
Easy DIY job.
Scott will be able to tell you what the sensor cost.
Try sending "Nizzbits" a PM (private message), genuine Nissan parts at good prices.

Tony

For more info on Nizzbits check post #10 of this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?915-Nizzbits-(vic)&highlight=nizzbits

nathan
19th February 2011, 03:04 PM
i havent posted 25 times so i cant look at the fotos. thanks for the info it helps out an aussie battler and might just get my fids to school on monday.cheers tony!

YNOT
19th February 2011, 03:08 PM
i havent posted 25 times so i cant look at the fotos. thanks for the info it helps out an aussie battler and might just get my fids to school on monday.cheers tony!

That's easily fixed, just keep talking! Tell us a bit about yourself, where you live, your Patrol etc. Have a look around the forum and join in conversations, you'll be there in no time.

nathan
19th February 2011, 03:14 PM
well i live in far north qld, i have 4 kids and just love my wagon. its a ti 4.2 gq ,good mileage, leather and woodgrain inserts, dobbinson springs,arb diff lockers, wrangler tires,4 inch lift(not sure if legal).

YNOT
19th February 2011, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a well set up wagon, do you get to do much 4WDing?

Tony

P.S. Before anyone says anything I know this is a thread hijack, I'll move it to his intro soon.

nathan
19th February 2011, 03:19 PM
will my car run if i disconnect sensor until i can get it replaced?

nathan
19th February 2011, 03:23 PM
everything is 4wdriving where i live and u need a reliable truck.should i be posting this here or is there a more suitable place for chit-chat?

YNOT
19th February 2011, 03:27 PM
everything is 4wdriving where i live and u need a reliable truck.should i be posting this here or is there a more suitable place for chit-chat?

I'll move these posts to your introduction soon, just trying to help you get up to 25 posts first.

Tony

YNOT
19th February 2011, 03:31 PM
will my car run if i disconnect sensor until i can get it replaced?

It may do but I wouldn't recommend it because it affects fuel mixtures and may damage the engine.

Tony

nathan
19th February 2011, 03:32 PM
i have sent a message to nizzbits and am waiting for response. it would be good to have me truck runnin properly again. i dont know that much about cars as i have always had bikes.

nathan
19th February 2011, 03:36 PM
missus thinks i might have bought a lemmon.she wanted a 98 prado.the prado was cheaper but looked like it had a hard life,also it was green.(yuk)nothing special about,the nissan is a much more capable 4wd and looks a lot meaner. it guzzles fuel but does it so well when its runnin properly.

YNOT
19th February 2011, 03:41 PM
I think you made the right choice buying the Nissan. Nissan parts are cheaper than Toyota as well.

Tony