PDA

View Full Version : 3' lift kit and 1 inch body lift or 4 inch lift kit

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 08:08 PM
Want some more height from the gq and tossing up between a 3 inch lift and a 1 inch body lift or 4 inch lift. Don't want to spend a fortune all at once.
I've read some people with a 3 inch lift only use Springs, shocks and caster bushes but doing only that I wonder how good that will be. What would be the bare minimum of extras that I would need to use so it's done right? Adjustable Panhards? Drop boxes?
I don't mind spending the cash but would like to do it in steps over 6 months to a year so what would I need as a base package which u could add to later on.
Also if I'm going to spend a lot on extras, is it just better doing a 4 inch lift?
Any input would be appreciated
Cheers

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 08:09 PM
Also been told by a few people and mechanics that a body lift on a gq is a bad idea???

Ben-e-boy
30th July 2014, 08:19 PM
I would go a 4 inch lift. You will still need to do the panhards, castor correction in some form for a 3 inch lift, although I think castor bushes are junk.
Save up for a bit longer and get it done right.

idiot 1
30th July 2014, 08:21 PM
body lift on anything is not a good idea. before you go 3 or 4 inch check your state legalities. and what sort of 4 wheel driving you going to do to need a lift that big.

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 08:38 PM
I've got a 2 inch lift now with 33 muddies but would like to get 35's on next time I need tyres and they wouldn't fit as is, would like some more ground clearance when we go off road which is why I want to go bigger.
This is a list of recommended upgrades to the standard 3 inch kit on suspensionstuff.Com.au

Recommended Upgrades
Performance Drop Boxes +$295.00
Performance Adjustable Drag Link +$265.00
Performance Adjustable Tie Rod +$265.00
Performance Upper Adjustable HD Trailing Arms +$235.00
Performance Adjustable Panhard Rods F&R +$440.00
Performance Fixed Length Heavy Duty Trailing Arms +$235.00
Performance Sway Bar Disconnects F&R +$260.00
Just want to know what is really necessary to start with the base lot, don't want to use just castor bushes.
I will eventually look at doing all required upgrades for the best possible ride.

Ben-e-boy
30th July 2014, 08:46 PM
Recommended Upgrades
Just want to know what is really necessary to start with the base lot, don't want to use just castor bushes.
I will eventually look at doing all required upgrades for the best possible ride

The list you just posted has answered your question mate

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 08:49 PM
So need all of these mods as a base? Couldnt start the base plus say panhards and drop boxesand do the rest over time?

mudski
30th July 2014, 08:50 PM
I've got a 2 inch lift now with 33 muddies but would like to get 35's on next time I need tyres and they wouldn't fit as is, would like some more ground clearance when we go off road which is why I want to go bigger.
This is a list of recommended upgrades to the standard 3 inch kit on suspensionstuff.Com.au

Recommended Upgrades
I will eventually look at doing all required upgrades for the best possible ride.

I went a 3inch flexy kit and everything listed there i put in.

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 08:57 PM
you happy with the lift mate? You could fit 35's easy now yeh?

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 09:06 PM
This is a base 4 lift and would have thought that would be more than suitable ti start with
4 Kings Coils
- 4 Oztec Shocks
- Drop Boxes
- 2 Brake lines for front and rear
- 2 Panhard Rods Adjustable to suit our lift
- Upper Adjustable Trailing Arms / or Stronger Lower Arms
- 1 Brake Bias Bracket
Diff Breather Hose

mudski
30th July 2014, 09:13 PM
you happy with the lift mate? You could fit 35's easy now yeh?

Very happy. With 35s under it, it looks like a 2inch lift with 33s.

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 09:15 PM
nice thanks

mudski
30th July 2014, 09:24 PM

The GU next to me is 2inch on 33's. They almost look the same.

mudski
30th July 2014, 09:28 PM
Just found this pic. My old OME 2inch spring next to the new Suspension stuff 3inch flexy coil.

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 09:29 PM
Thats the lift I want, plenty high enough but not over the top
How is the on road ride?

Winnie
30th July 2014, 09:29 PM
Very happy. With 35s under it, it looks like a 2inch lift with 33s.

Except not really. It's bigger.

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 09:31 PM
obviously ;-)

89gqpatrol4x4
30th July 2014, 09:43 PM
hey mate, I went a three inch lift as not to big to attract unwanted attention but enough height for good 4wdriving. As for 35's I had to cut the guards unless I was to fit massive bump stops and have no up travel at all! which defeats the purpose of a good setup. For me if the guard is not big enough to fit a certain size tyre then it won't make any difference how high you lift it!

mudski
30th July 2014, 09:43 PM
Thats the lift I want, plenty high enough but not over the top
How is the on road ride?
I was kind of concerned with going with the flexy kit. As its supposed to be a lot "boatier", but in all honesty, I don't think it is like a boat. It is a 4wd afterall. Just realied you have a Q. I'm posting up pics of my U.

Except not really. It's bigger.

You know what I mean tool head! It doesn't look out of place. One thing I was worried was it would be high as a horse and look like cop bait. But sitting it next to my mates, now dead, GU, it doesn't.

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks 89gqpatrol4x4. I dont mind doing some guard work, I have 33's now without any bumpstops and have plenty of clearance, just used a decent -offset rim. With a bit more lift I shouldnt have an issue with 35's

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2014, 10:00 PM

Recommended Upgrades

I have not heard of "performance" brand? Is this SS home brand? Maybe Roadsafe rebranded? The above list is complete plus the brake lines and bias plate as you note in the list below.

That list above is what you will need for a 3 or 4" lift.

As Bene said above mate, do it all at once and save a little longer. You can't really "half" lift a car.

This is a base 4 lift and would have thought that would be more than suitable ti start with
4 Kings Coils
- 4 Oztec Shocks
- Drop Boxes
- 2 Brake lines for front and rear
- 2 Panhard Rods Adjustable to suit our lift
- Upper Adjustable Trailing Arms / or Stronger Lower Arms
- 1 Brake Bias Bracket
Diff Breather Hose

You really need a drag link to sort out your steering box.

Your choice of coils and shocks are open to debate, I have never heard of Oztec shocks either. I have Superior Engineering springs and Amada Extreme remote res shock now after having SS Flexy could previously with their shocks and OMG they are Planets Apart!!

charlzy999
30th July 2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks mate.
This is what they say about the shocks

OZTEC SHOCKS

We have found these shocks ride better than any twin tube shock on the market and are very durable. They have a 35mm bore and they have been tuned by Aussies and made in Brazil by Cofap who are a very reputable manufacturer.