PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Police Crack down on illegal Window Tint

patch697
30th June 2010, 06:26 PM
This may concern for 1 or 2 of us.

Crackdown on tints
June 30, 2010
TINTED windows may be considered cool to some, crucial security for others but heavy tinting is a road hazard and many people drive with illegal levels of visibility, police say.

Yesterday, members of the Melbourne Traffic Management Unit conducted Operation Clear View, targeting drivers with illegal window tinting.

The road block on Lygon Street tested 80 cars, with 22 defect notices issued because of illegal tinting.

Mr Robinson said the drivers have seven days to rectify the problem.

Acting Senior Sergeant Phil Robinson said windows with less than 35 per cent visible light transmission were not only illegal, but also dangerous.

gec
30th June 2010, 07:19 PM
What a crock, that is just blatant revenue raising,Ya can fit those sunscreens or that alfoil insulation stuff that completely blocks ya vision but ya cant tint ya windows, just bu!!sh!t

patch697
30th June 2010, 08:09 PM
What a crock, that is just blatant revenue raising,Ya can fit those sunscreens or that alfoil insulation stuff that completely blocks ya vision but ya cant tint ya windows, just bu!!sh!t

absolutely 100% agree with you there. I was listening to talk back radio yesterday morning & this ex cop gets on to bring up what I though was an interesting point. How many accidents on our roads are the direct course or had been contributed to by tinted windows & in he's 20 or 30 years on the force he could not account for 1, Yet we now need a special task force (Operation Clear View) to combat this.

I tell ya its got me buggered.

Cheers
Paul

GQ4.2
30th June 2010, 10:02 PM
nothing but revenue raising

Woods
30th June 2010, 10:22 PM
What a crock!!!

Just like speed cameras. The commisioner even agreed to someone who leaked it out to the public that speed cameras are not for saving lives It's for revenue.

patch697
30th June 2010, 10:27 PM
What a crock!!!

Just like speed cameras. The commisioner even agreed to someone who leaked it out to the public that speed cameras are not for saving lives It's for revenue.

Yep & welcome to Victoria

patch697
30th June 2010, 11:31 PM
Next the cops will be targeting drivers wearing sunglasses. No difference to having your windows tinted.

Pricks.

Im chitting bricks cos I've got tinted windows & I dont know if there legal or not & the local coppers up here are a pack of...... well lets just say thay are not on my chrisy card list.

Cheers
Paul

patch697
2nd July 2010, 04:32 PM
Just a quick update on this thread.

I was on 3AW's site looking for updated info & found this:

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-gene...0630-zlcm.html

If you wait for it to load... thay play back a snippet of the show that went to air.

Cheers
Paul

Maxhead
2nd July 2010, 06:59 PM
I wonder how they test for this, would have to be something like a light gun and a light meter on the other side...hmm.
I got mine tinted by a pro and got legal and they still look fairly dark so wouldn't want to go any darker I reckon

patch697
5th July 2010, 12:59 AM
I wonder how they test for this, would have to be something like a light gun and a light meter on the other side...hmm.
I got mine tinted by a pro and got legal and they still look fairly dark so wouldn't want to go any darker I reckon

Yeah I got tint on mine to but don't know if its legal or not cos it was on there when I got the Mav so who knows.

I hope there all good cos thats one of the things I liked about it when I first took a look at it & I've tinted every car I've had so it was a nice change not to have to tint this one.

Cheers
Paul

DX grunt
5th July 2010, 09:41 AM
Having done Local Government Road Safety for 7 years, Here's my neutral viewpoint...

If you have window tint, be careful when driving with reduced visibility - especially at night in winter when the water 'beads' on the windows. How difficult is it to see when you're turning at an intersection?
How many ppl have to wind their windows down at night to see if it's safe to go coz the tint is too dark, or too dark and fogged up? How many ppl can't reach their passenger window to wind the window down to see if there's anything coming from the left, but just go anyway - hoping there's nothing coming?

It's been said many times before and it will be said many times again, if you have an illegal mod on your truck, your insurance may not cover you. Over here in WA, if you have a major crash, the cops examine yr vehicle in great detail. They start at the front number plate and work their way back to the tow ball - looking for contributing factors to the crash.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

It's all about risk assessment too. As Safety Sam says: 'Spot the hazard, assess the risk and make the change"

patch697
5th July 2010, 11:18 AM
Having done Local Government Road Safety for 7 years, Here's my neutral viewpoint...

If you have window tint, be careful when driving with reduced visibility - especially at night in winter when the water 'beads' on the windows. How difficult is it to see when you're turning at an intersection?
How many ppl have to wind their windows down at night to see if it's safe to go coz the tint is too dark, or too dark and fogged up? How many ppl can't reach their passenger window to wind the window down to see if there's anything coming from the left, but just go anyway - hoping there's nothing coming?

It's been said many times before and it will be said many times again, if you have an illegal mod on your truck, your insurance may not cover you. Over here in WA, if you have a major crash, the cops examine yr vehicle in great detail. They start at the front number plate and work their way back to the tow ball - looking for contributing factors to the crash.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

It's all about risk assessment too. As Safety Sam says: 'Spot the hazard, assess the risk and make the change"

Yeah good point..... I like having you on board you know how to shine the light so to speak.....No pun intended

Thanks Ross

Cheers
Paul