PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is it????

chester
25th July 2014, 06:42 PM
Found this in Number 8 CYL after pulling the head off. It's steel about the size of your little finger nail, it's solid, round on one side and flat on the other and has broken away from something but the big question is WHAT!!!!!!
Its a bit hard to see in the pic but will give you an idea.

Maxhead
25th July 2014, 06:44 PM
don't know....end of a push rod?

chester
25th July 2014, 07:04 PM
don't know....end of a push rod?Nah mate it's solid and everything is in good nick. It could have only come from the intake system to end up jammed between the head and the piston.

growler2058
25th July 2014, 07:15 PM
Is it the end of a glow plug? Hard to see in the pic

growler2058
25th July 2014, 07:16 PM
Don't worry just read 8cyl derrrr

AB
25th July 2014, 07:18 PM
Almost looks like the top of the aerial...lol

Hardyards
25th July 2014, 07:22 PM
Also sorta looks like a soild rivet with the head broken off?

nipagu7
25th July 2014, 07:30 PM
yeah , it does look like a rivet . do you have a snorkel that has had rivets used to mount it or has rivets been used elsewhere in the air intake system ?

AB
25th July 2014, 07:43 PM
You haven't modified your airbox by chance Chester?

As above with the rivets, seen a few modded pizza boxes using rivets to hold the intake elbow...

chester
25th July 2014, 08:23 PM
I have but I didn't use any rivets. The only riverts in the system is to hold the snorkel to the A piller.

liftlid
25th July 2014, 08:46 PM
Anything from the snorkel would need to get past the filter, if it has a hole in it I would be convinced it's the end of a pushrod

Crate
25th July 2014, 09:07 PM
x3 on the end of a pushrod!

taslucas
25th July 2014, 09:34 PM
I'm guessing it would have to have an oil hole through it if it was a push rod?
And yeah, how the hell could it get past the valve stem seal?

Is there any chance it could have been sitting around the head and got knocked in when removing head?

taslucas
25th July 2014, 11:22 PM

Is there any chance it could have been sitting around the head and got knocked in when removing head?

jay see
26th July 2014, 01:39 AM
If its part of a pushrod wouldn't it have damaged a valve? What are the rest of the internals like, cam, valves, lifters.

BigRAWesty
26th July 2014, 08:45 AM
Well I cant see it being any of the above as all that stuff is outside the air flow circuit.. The only thing inside the combustion chamber is spark or glow plug, or valves..
My guess woukd be an casting dag of alloy..
Have you tested magnetism?

threedogs
26th July 2014, 08:48 AM
Used to get bits like this on my 350 chev troopy running dual fuel,
Because the gas runs so hot it melted the holley and molten alloy would get trapped on top of the piston .
making a terrible noise,,, most times it would pass through the system, hope this helps

chester
26th July 2014, 09:04 PM

Is there any chance it could have been sitting around the head and got knocked in when removing head?Nah mate it was sitting in the indent it made in the top of the piston.

chester
26th July 2014, 09:08 PM
Well I cant see it being any of the above as all that stuff is outside the air flow circuit.. The only thing inside the combustion chamber is spark or glow plug, or valves..
My guess woukd be an casting dag of alloy..
Have you tested magnetism?Yeah mate it sticks to a magnet. All the other parts are fine, the only way it could get into where it was is through the intake manifold. Ive check all the sensors in the throttle body all the plugs and injectors are all fine.

my third 256
27th July 2014, 07:30 AM
could have dropped in when someone did a service on the spark plugs

nipagu7
27th July 2014, 08:58 AM
still looks a lot like a rivet . aluminium rivets can have a steel shaft which is used to compress the rivet before the shaft breaks . the piece of steel shaft left inside the rivet would make it stick to a magnet . is the outside of the piece soft like aluminium , if so split it open to see if there is a piece of steel inside .