PDA

View Full Version : Advice on lift

old steve
21st July 2014, 06:27 PM
Howdy all , after browsing the forum for ideas , I've decided its easier to ask questions , i want to lift my new GU , but i want it to retain the road manners its got now , coming from D-40 which i was pretty up with , i know nothing of the patrols , or the best products / going about it , the rig is brand new and i have grown up a tad , playing in mud and climbing mountains I've got out of my system , this will be mostly road work , outback touring , and remote fishing , but would like to keep or better the manners it has now without , not turning it into a bone shaker , all replies are most welcome , including other ideas in other areas

cheers Steve

04OFF
21st July 2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Steve, we will need to know, "all" your mods (inc future ones) or extra weight on top of the factory vehicle, (bullbar, fridge, draws etc) and also if you will be towing anything ?

Drewboyaus
21st July 2014, 07:52 PM
Straight off the bat and without knowing your complete setup, I'm a big fan of the Old Man Emu kits from ARB as an off the shelf solution to your suspension needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MudRunnerTD
21st July 2014, 08:06 PM
Straight off the bat and without knowing your complete setup, I'm a big fan of the Old Man Emu kits from ARB as an off the shelf solution to your suspension needs.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^ love it!

old steve
21st July 2014, 08:18 PM
Ok for starters , long range tanks , ARB bar and winch , ARB alloy roof rack , 60 ltr fridge and about 200 kg inside the plus 2 adults average size , 160 kg combined , extra fuel , 3 x20 litres , 40 litres of water , 2 stripers and half the current stock of CUB LOL , skip the last 2, but on the other hand , sometimes just me and an empty truck , camper i don't know as haven't brought one , thought i would do 1 thing at a time

AB
21st July 2014, 08:18 PM
Hi Steve, we will need to know, "all" your mods (inc future ones) or extra weight on top of the factory vehicle, (bullbar, fridge, draws etc) and also if you will be towing anything ?

Like what Steve said though whatever you choose make sure it's set up for the future mods.

As above I also got ome and set a lot stiffer knowing my plans and loving it.

Just back from a trip to the Simpson and after severe corrugations, sand, rocky tracks and on road handling is simply brilliant!

Winnie
21st July 2014, 08:21 PM
My car came with a heavy duty OME 2" lift and I have never liked it because I thought it was too stiff.
I just came back from the Simpson and I was fully loaded the whole trip and wow I love my suspension! It is sooo good when fully loaded and handles so well on the road for long distance driving.

Drewboyaus
21st July 2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah, mine rode like a go kart until I got some weight in the rear too......
Still miles better than standard though.

MudRunnerTD
21st July 2014, 08:47 PM
2" Old Man Emu from ARB in a heart beat. Also consider the bolt on rear spring tower brace from Superior Engineering

happygu
21st July 2014, 08:54 PM
You need to know what is important to you - is it ground clearance at all costs, or the best ride available, or even a compromise between both....

Make sure that you make allowances for all the weight along with your choice of ride.

You could go for duty rated springs based on your estimated load, to give you the constant ground clearance you want, but it will ride a little firmer unladen.
You could go for progressive rate springs, which will give you a more comfortable ride unladen - but will sag a little with all the weight.

Whatever you do, try to avoid the compromise of polyairs inside the springs, as these have been known to cause cracking in the spring towers, when pumped up too hard.

Mic

Drewboyaus
21st July 2014, 08:59 PM
Whatever you do, try to avoid the compromise of polyairs inside the springs, as these have been known to cause cracking in the spring towers, when pumped up too hard. Mic

I didn't know that about the Polyairs Mic......good info.

old steve
21st July 2014, 09:09 PM
I would like a good compromise i guess , love the look of the jacked up patrols , but getting a bit old for the bone jarring , ( 53 ) now , aim very familiar with well set up rigs , been in the game for awhile and traded a pretty worked up D-40 , also familiar with the downside of airbags , want to bust a chassis on a ute ? fit airbags , seen it too many times , so ill be passing on that one , i just don't know what " patrollers " are using ? and what is the good gear , also on an ifs truck , theres very little to do besides springs n shocks , these jiggers have all sorts of arms n linkages , and i don't know enough about them , but i'am a fast learner

happygu
21st July 2014, 10:20 PM
Steve,

I have used Progressive rate King Springs and Koni Shocks in the past, and found the ride excellent.

This would be a good place to start....

Mic

paulyg
22nd July 2014, 06:09 PM
Air bags only become a problem when they are over inflated, they should not be used to compensate for worn out or to soft springs for the load you are carrying.