PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 suspension combination's

patch697
30th June 2010, 03:58 PM
G/day All

One of the first big modifications most ppl want do to their 4x4's is suspension. So Im asking all of you who have already done so to post up your combination's & let us know:

How it works for you.

What you might change about it & why.

What mods did you do to your 4x4 to help with this.

And what things you came across in the fitting that other DYIers would find useful if attempting this themselves.

Any pic you may have & as much info as you care to write please ppl & thanks in advance.

Cheers
Paul

Timbo
30th June 2010, 05:01 PM
Not much to say to this really.. I had a workshop do mine as I simply don't have the experience, nor the time to do it.

I just had a 3" kit fitted. Not sure on the shocker bore size.. it's just the large version. I'm guessing it's an average setup. Not too soft, not too hard. Seems to have worked great off road for me, haven't had any issues.

One thing I "almost" learnt the hard way.. when you get a taller suspension, you need to get an extended brake line. Pretty sure I paid for one but never got it in the final fit. My mechanic told me about it probably 6months later.

Ol Smokey
4th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Hi, took the 6 inch out of my GQ and stuck it in my GU when I got it. Did a much more thorough job with the GU as I will be keeping it for a while. It works a treat and had some extra stuck done to make it work properly and have got a little more to do yet. But I'm thinking of going down to a 4inch lift as I know I can get this to work better off road. I friend of mine now tells me that he reckons that the drop boxes are a better way to go rather than the drop arms, so I'll give these a try.
For most 4wd driving I would recommend a 4inch lift as this offers the best of both worlds as not being too high and give enough clearance as not to damage the under side too much.

Bubbles

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 09:55 PM
I've got plenty of wisdom but no knowledge. That's why I always buy stuff and pay for things to get done.

It takes me days to assemble a 4 shelf cupboard from flatpack, and I do know what a Phillips head screw driver
looks like.....but that's about it.

DX grunt came pre-assembled and pre-modded. I really need to get shockie protectors (or whateva they're called) like plassys gunna do before his trip.

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 10:06 PM
Sure that's not totally true Rossco. Just like a flatpack, working on your Patrol, or any vehicle, is not too hard when you have someone to teach you or instructions to follow and a bit of patience thrown in. This is how most people learn (like me) and continue to learn. Of course that doesn't count for full engine pull-downs or really technical stuff. But for making drawers, installing accessories and things like that it's really not too hard if you put your mind to it and take your time.

What a great mentor you are Plassy. I want all the gizmos Nissan Kid's got. I'm looking at a couple of websites for ideas to convert the back of my truck into a love pad! Storage during the day, but entertainment for me and the missus at night. LOL

There's still a bit of 'spark' left in this 51yo bod yet...

AB
4th August 2010, 10:10 PM
Just ask away for help then Rossco. There's a huge variety of skills and knowledge here from mechanical to computers to electrical to general life experience mate so the worlds your oyster to do what you want and learn what you need.

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 10:14 PM
No worries. I won't hijack this thread any more... I've got my own, so I'll start to use that. Thanks guys.

Ol Smokey
4th August 2010, 10:45 PM
With suspension lifts etc, I recommend choosing your tyre size first. Base the lift around that and you can pretty much know what weight you will be carrying when adding drawers long range tanks etc.
Love my 35s, just make everything soo much easier to get over and around.

Bubbles

patch697
5th August 2010, 09:38 AM
With suspension lifts etc, I recommend choosing your tyre size first. Base the lift around that and you can pretty much know what weight you will be carrying when adding drawers long range tanks etc.
Love my 35s, just make everything soo much easier to get over and around.

Bubbles

Spot on Bubbles if you don't do it this way you limit your options & end up wasting money hand over fist.