PDA

View Full Version : GU diff centres into GQ

Bigrig
18th February 2011, 09:20 AM
Howdy

Probably been answered before so feel free to hijack this one!!!! LOL

How hard is it to swap the diff centres (gears) from a GU into a GQ?? Mate has a set of 4.11 diff gears from his GU spare after getting reduction gearing in the diffs - has offered them to me cheap, cheap, cheap if I want them.

Second question: are the diff gears from a GU lower ratio than the GQ standard? I.e. Is it even worth looking into??

Thanks all!!!

Bigrig
18th February 2011, 10:13 PM
Nearly 13 hours an not one post ... not even a hijack ...

Time to dust off the Patrol4x4 and 4x4Earth logins and ask over there !!! LMFAO!!!!

YNOT
18th February 2011, 10:19 PM
There's no need to be rude Scott, I didn't see your original post - some of us were actually working today!

Diff centres will bolt straight in but ratios will be the same so not much point?

Tony

Bigrig
18th February 2011, 11:13 PM
There's no need to be rude Scott, I didn't see your original post - some of us were actually working today!

Diff centres will bolt straight in but ratios will be the same so not much point?

Tony

Rude?? Never heard of the word!! LOL ... But funnily enough, I worked today too so you're forgiven!! Not sure if you're serious or not, so I'll leave the poor taste humor at that.

Thanks for info, wasn't sure if my diffs were 3.9:1 (or something like that) and these being 4.1:1 would make a little difference - so the earlier model GQ's were 4.1:1 ratios also?

YNOT
18th February 2011, 11:29 PM
No I wasn't being serious, "Toyota" and "Patrol4x4" are almost swear words on here, that's all I was referring to.

Earlier model GQ's were 4.1:1 also.

Tony

Bigrig
18th February 2011, 11:38 PM
No I wasn't being serious, "Toyota" and "Patrol4x4" are almost swear words on here, that's all I was referring to.

Earlier model GQ's were 4.1:1 also.

Tony

Phew ... thought I had awoken a sleeping giant!!! LOL ... good to know on the ratios - question, for the effort, would it be worth if for no other reason than the gears he is offering are virtually new?? He literally had it changed over at about 16000 K's I think, and it hadn't (and still hasn't) been offroad at all ...

MudRunnerTD
18th February 2011, 11:47 PM
It would be worth grabbing them if yours is a keeper for sure. when yours start to make a bit of noise then you have some newys sitting to go straight in.

Just make sure that they are not out of a Ute as the rear diff on the ute is bigger as is the 4.8 i think. I have a mate that was hoping to take his out of his GQ TD42 to put into his 4.8 cause they had diff locks and the like but they were not compatible.

YNOT
18th February 2011, 11:51 PM
If you're getting them cheap enough (how much is he asking?) they would be good to keep as spares. The GU limited slip diff hemisphere is physically smaller and not as durable as the earlier GQ LSD but you would still be doing well to break it even with a super charged 4.2.
As long as you change the diff oil every 40,000km and keep water out your diff gears should out last the car itself.

Tony

YNOT
18th February 2011, 11:56 PM
It would be worth grabbing them if yours is a keeper for sure. when yours start to make a bit of noise then you have some newys sitting to go straight in.

Just make sure that they are not out of a Ute as the rear diff on the ute is bigger as is the 4.8 i think. I have a mate that was hoping to take his out of his GQ TD42 to put into his 4.8 cause they had diff locks and the like but they were not compatible.

Rear diff out of a coil spring ute is H233b and compatible with Scott's GQ.
The only GU's to get the big (H260b) rear diff were the manual 3.0 diesel, manual 4.5 petrol and manual 4.8 petrol (all wagons but not all of them got the H260b, Nissan got a bit random), the leaf spring ute also got the H260b rear diff but with narrow track, full floating hubs and and drum brakes.

Tony

Bigrig
19th February 2011, 12:00 AM
If you're getting them cheap enough (how much is he asking?) they would be good to keep as spares. The GU limited slip diff hemisphere is physically smaller and not as durable as the earlier GQ LSD but you would still be doing well to break it even with a super charged 4.2.
As long as you change the diff oil every 40,000km and keep water out your diff gears should out last the car itself.

Tony

Thanks mate - I change the diff oil every 20000 as I love water and even with breathers, I am one of those paranoid types (did the wheel bearings also after 20000 just to be sure, to be sure)!! Is that an overkill? And by cheap I'm talking helping him for a few days to form up and pour/finish a 30 sq metre slab for an entertainment area.

As per above, definitely a keeper as you already know, so I think I'll go for it.

MudRunnerTD
19th February 2011, 12:01 AM
Cheers Tony for the specifics, I did think it was the leaf sprung ute and my friend has a 4.8 manual so that make sense.

bexi
6th September 2011, 10:22 PM
so if i've got a GQ patrol with td42 that i'm using as a donor car for a blown up gu with rd28 ... should i swap the diff centres out of the gq into the gu?

YNOT
7th September 2011, 08:40 AM
so if i've got a GQ patrol with td42 that i'm using as a donor car for a blown up gu with rd28 ... should i swap the diff centres out of the gq into the gu?

From memory I think GQ TD42 had 4.1:1 diffs and GU RD28 had 4.6:1.
If you're going to run standard size tyres (31") the 4.1's would be better, 4.6's will put your gear ratios close to standard for 35" tyres.

Tony