PDA

View Full Version : RD28 to RD28 Turbo conversion - Nissan Laurel (same engine setup as 4x4)

Laurel01
14th July 2014, 09:00 PM
Hey everyone, Ive had a look but cant really find any full information just bits here and there

I have a 1995 Nissan Laurel Factory RD28 which I belive has the same setup as the rd28 4x4 vehicles.

I am wanting to +T my car and I have the option to buy an "As Is" Type II Nissan Safari GQ Y60 RD28T engine.

It is the non intercooled type and has a pressure relief valve fitted to the manifold.

As it is on the other side of the country I figure I only need the associated turbo parts (save a **** load on shipping and I don't have any room for an engine)

Can some one please confirm with me that the parts I will be needing from the engine are

Turbo
Manifolds (intake/exhaust)
Fuel Pump
oil/water Banjo lines
Air piping
Vacuum lines
BOV

In order to make it work will I need other vacuum related parts such as the diaphram that is on the airbox ?
or should the turbo setup hook up to my existing setup.

Is someone able to please take a few photos of their rd28 vacuum lines and were they run to

cheers

Laurel01
14th July 2014, 09:03 PM
I have been talking to the guy and he reckons the turbo leaks oil due to it overboosting (He claims the wastegate wasnt opening) any opinions on this ?

I have experience putting together RB20/25det engines so understand all that, just not used to the vacuum side of turbo diesel (fuel compensators etc)

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2014, 09:06 PM
You wont need a BOV.

It would probably be as cheap to buy a rd28t and just do a motor swap

Laurel01
14th July 2014, 09:28 PM
Oh ok, the engine I have seen appears to have a bov attached to the intake manifold so that's the bov i was referring to.
what about vacuum lines/diaphragms?

Yeah I would do that but over here good rd28t engines are hard to find and run into atleast a couple of grand. I can get all these bits for $500

Extrimal D
8th December 2014, 07:59 PM
The engine from Elgrant stood as a native. The difference was in gearboxes. I have a automatic transmission and the engine manual. We had to rearrange his pallet and to drill three holes, because the Japanese for automatic transmissions made all the holes(both for automatic and manual transmissions), and for manual transmission only for herself. Accordingly, different flywheels from them. On automatic it is much more. Everything else was just "tried on looked". The main problem was that he had disassembled the motor some people, and gathered other. Well in the town there is another patrol. Called him he drove compared tried on and so on Just threw native muffler(catalyst), cooked from muffler from ZIL 130, he with a diameter of 64 mm Threw the valve leaks at all, and the tube is choked. He was stuck and the valve closed hole somewhere on 1/4 of the pipe diameter. The Assembly took me about 2 weeks.