PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Flinders Ranges

macca
14th July 2014, 07:35 PM
South Australia Flinders ranges, Eyre Peninsula and outback 4WD Tracks & Repeater Towers (http://www.southaustralia.com/media/documents/regions/tracks_and_repeater_1910_4wd_A4_web.pdf).
I have saved the doc about the public access roads.
What I would like is some info about the Flinders Ranges.
We have 6 days in the ranges coming down from Cameron's Corner, ending up in Hawker before racing home for work.
I've been twice before for 2 nights each time. The 1st we drove Skytrek and Brachina Gorge. The 2nd we visited Arkaroola and Parichilna George. Both times we headed north from Yunta past Waukaringa. I have read about the drive north of Arkaroola past Sillers to the hot springs, sounds interesting. Don't mind going over old ground, and would like to camp in Brachina.
Any tips and recommendations would be gratefully accepted.
Cheers Macca

FNQGU
14th July 2014, 07:38 PM
Yeah, any tips would be great. This is to be my 2015 foray from Cairns next year. Cross the Simpson, and then head for the Flinders, via Lake Eyre. Only got a couple of weeks so it will be tight and I am really keen on some inside info as well.

Good one Macca.

snicko
14th July 2014, 08:06 PM
Hey Macca

You have to go to FARINA (30km north of Leigh Creek). They have the best bakery ever!! But only through the School Holidays.

We spent three nights there!! If not during school holidays its still a great place to camp.

MudRunnerTD
14th July 2014, 08:17 PM
Half the crew from the Meetup in theMiddle have just spent a week there including Snicko and Roofy.

macca
14th July 2014, 08:40 PM
Hey Macca

You have to go to FARINA (30km north of Leigh Creek). They have the best bakery ever!! But only through the School Holidays.

We spent three nights there!! If not during school holidays its still a great place to camp.

There was a cracker bakery at Copley, went past there last time and had to stop for a pie and coffee at 7.45 in the morning. We had only travelled from Leigh Creek! Heard it had closed. So a drive a bit further is on the cards.

jack
14th July 2014, 09:10 PM
Hi Macca,

Will be following this with interest as well, we're planning a trip there in the not to distant future. It's a relatively accessible trip for us, but work commitments (and health) dependent. Did a whistle-stop tour there on the way back from the centre nearly 30 years ago and only barely skimmed the surface.
We've got a bit of a trip planned to do the Oodnadatta Track from Marla, visit William Creek, Lake Eyre, Arkaroola etc. and then do the Flinders Ranges before returning home.
I know one of the members (Rock Trol) has some Flinders experience and he may be able to assist but he's only on here occasionally.

How is the other trip report progressing?

Cheers

pearcey
14th July 2014, 09:36 PM
G`day Macca
If you get the time try and go to warraweena conservation park its privately owned and has some good tracks and camping.
check out their web site
Cheers and Beers Pearcey

macca
14th July 2014, 09:41 PM
G day Jack, did a search before starting this topic and was surprised that there really is not much here about the Flinders Ranges.
Seems we are not the only ones looking for some tips.
I have a copy of Ron Moons book which is great, just need a cheat to see the best bits!

Still waiting for approval for the other trip report, it's quite sensative. So I must be patient. There's a tease for you all.

macca
14th July 2014, 09:49 PM
G`day Macca
If you get the time try and go to warraweena conservation park its privately owned and has some good tracks and camping.
check out their web site
Cheers and Beers Pearcey

I will look it up tonight, thanks Pearcey.

macca
15th July 2014, 07:20 AM
Warraweena;
It appears what was once a PAR (Public Access Road) to Sliding Rock Mine is now a Toll Way with a $45.00 fee.
A bit disappointing what was set up by the SA government to encourage more tourism now has fees attached.
It is always possible the land owner or lease holder is required to maintain the roads, anyway more research needs to be done.
Keep looking!

pearcey
15th July 2014, 10:09 AM
The last time I was there the tracks were free and all we paid for was the camping. How things change.

happygu
15th July 2014, 10:51 AM
Macca,

There are a million great spots in the Flinders, but the Nuccaleena Mine ruins are worth a visit if you are looking for something to do....

I have the Ron and Viv Moon Flinders Ranges book, and found that it has some great info for the whole of the Flinders, and breaks it all up into sections, so that you can then choose what to see in each of the regions.

Mic

macca
15th July 2014, 06:13 PM
Ron & Vals book that we have is a 2000 copy. So quite a few years behind the latest developments.

We are hoping for a few tips where we can find great camps and places to see.

We are coming from the north so not much in the way of tourist information unfortunately.

Arkaroola might have some information.

Rock Trol
9th August 2014, 06:57 PM
Warraweena is my suggestion as well. Did it Easter 2012 and it was fantastic. The tracks are really interesting as you get to drive along creek beds (if not flooded) and there are plenty of hills to climb and descend (Suicide Hill was interesting). One of the peaks, Mt Gill is 900 meters high and you really get a nice view from the top. The terrain really changes a lot on the property from dry scrub on the higher peaks to Eucalypts in the valleys near the creeks.

http://www.warraweena.com/

rusty00
5th January 2017, 07:47 PM
Rejuvenation of an old thread

Any new information for Flinders Rangers and surrounding area.
Trip coming up after Easter