PDA

View Full Version : The Ute is packed

Wizard52
12th July 2014, 06:01 PM
Hi all

As John Denver once said " My bags are packed and I'm ready to go" but I'm not leaving on a jet plane.
Leaving tomorrow morning for a leisurely drive to the Cape, probably be back late September for the Fraser trip in October.
This retirement is just so boring ?.....
Will email a couple of photos of ute set up when everything eventually finds its correct home. I admit I have stolen quite a few ideas from members of this forum especially Cuppa. Many thanks.

cheers

Peter

Would help if I could spell

MudRunnerTD
12th July 2014, 07:45 PM
Good luck. Sounds like your going to have a great time. Pics pics pics.

You should do a build thread of your ute too mate.

threedogs
12th July 2014, 07:48 PM
x2 with MR plus why not start a trip thread so we can follow your progress.
I love the Cape, hope you catch plenty of fish

AB
12th July 2014, 07:48 PM
Take plenty of photos and a trip report please.

Lucky bastard!!! I only have 30 more years of work!!!!

Cuppa
12th July 2014, 08:06 PM
A leisurely trip, now you're talking my kind of talk. :)
Looking forward to pics & reports.

threedogs
12th July 2014, 08:56 PM
These threads are so depressing for us Victorians sob sob

Hardyards
13th July 2014, 10:15 AM
Good on you, Wizard.
I am passing soooo many campers, vans and fourbies heading North at the moment, free camping spot at the end of my road full every night!
Have fun mate, not as jealous as some others as I'm readying my rig for a month up NT, leaving in August :thumbup:. Safe trip

Bloodyaussie
13th July 2014, 10:17 AM
Safe journey and enjoy !!!!!!!

threedogs
13th July 2014, 10:39 AM
I went in 1983, it was such an eye opener, we still talk about it.
even have 4 hrs of video now converted to DVD,that is passed around mates who are researching the trip,
Hopefully I'll make it next year, enjoy and take heaps of pics.

Wizard52
20th July 2014, 09:53 PM
A quick update. Arrived in Weipa this afternoon so will stay a few days and down load photos from camera to laptop and will upload something then.

Some young blokes in a GQ were saying how bad road is but I thought most of it was excellent. Not like 30 years ago in west Qld.

I am running at max GVM + with full fuel and water on board but am amazed at fuel consumption. Started off at 14.07 lt/100 from Hervey Bay to Mackay (non stop as I have done that trip probably 100 times before) then 13.07 to Mareeba then 12.12 back to Mareeba after doing some side trips out to Chillago ( nearly all bitumen) then 11.85 from Mareeba to Cooktown and all the way here to Weipa which is mainly good gravel and some sealed.

Only 1 accident with a pajero rolled near Archer River but all ok.

cheers for now from a beach campsite at Weipa

Peter

HuskyInAuz
22nd July 2014, 05:58 AM
Leaving Thursday towards northern QLD .. is there any room left ?

Cuppa
22nd July 2014, 11:45 AM
Those fuel consumption figures sound incredible!

MEGOMONSTER
22nd July 2014, 11:52 AM
A quick update. Arrived in Weipa this afternoon so will stay a few days and down load photos from camera to laptop and will upload something then. Some young blokes in a GQ were saying how bad road is but I thought most of it was excellent. Not like 30 years ago in west Qld. I am running at max GVM + with full fuel and water on board but am amazed at fuel consumption. Started off at 14.07 lt/100 from Hervey Bay to Mackay (non stop as I have done that trip probably 100 times before) then 13.07 to Mareeba then 12.12 back to Mareeba after doing some side trips out to Chillago ( nearly all bitumen) then 11.85 from Mareeba to Cooktown and all the way here to Weipa which is mainly good gravel and some sealed. Only 1 accident with a pajero rolled near Archer River but all ok. cheers for now from a beach campsite at Weipa Peter

Wow, what tyres you running on, size make pattern.
I know when I put bigger tyres on, fuel consumption went way up.
Although I never even got that low when it was standard brand new.

Stropp
22nd July 2014, 12:10 PM
look forward to some pics and a write up mate.

Wizard52
26th July 2014, 05:19 PM
Another quick update as beer in fridge is cold .

Now at beachfront camp site at Loyalty Beach not bad but Pennefather River down near Weipa is better. Bastard of a track to get to but definitely worth it. Stayed a few days but when I was watching a croc watch me only 20 ft away while fishing, thought it was time to move on.

In reply to tyres, I am still running Bridgestone Dulers 265's (694) and not a problem on dirt and sand so far. Overall the road is good by my standards with a few bad spots especially north of Jardine River barge which cost $129 for just me.

Will probably stay here or close by for a few days so will get some photos organised now I have phone reception.

cheers

Peter

Wizard52
26th July 2014, 05:23 PM
Those fuel consumption figures sound incredible!
Hi Cuppa.

Yes I am impressed as well. Figure dropped a bit when in the sand 16.something from memory but should be better again on the dirt from Weipa to Bamaga. Will update when I refuel in a few days.

Pete at Hervey Bay Diesel had a fiddle with the pump just before I left and it is magic.

Admittedly I am only doing 90/95 on bitumen and up to 80/85 on dirt

cheers

Peter

Wizard52
1st August 2014, 04:52 PM
These threads are so depressing for us Victorians sob sob

Hi 3D

You must be the only one left in the state as most of the plates up here are from down there.

If you leave, don't to forget to turn off all the lights for the state.

Wizard52
1st August 2014, 04:54 PM
Leaving Thursday towards northern QLD .. is there any room left ?

Not much room left in camp grounds, but I'm sure some will have left by time you get there.

Wizard52
1st August 2014, 05:28 PM
Another update.

The strong winds and showers every day chased me away after the visit to the tip.

Stayed at Punsand Bay for a few days and it is definitely the pick of the camp grounds. $15 per day for just me and the ute. Good facilities and spacious sites so you are not in everyone's pocket but food and grog expensive. It seems a beer gets 50c a can dearer each roadhouse to the north. $6.50 at Punsand Bay.

Have headed south west to Normanton where I worked 40 years ago in the old Bank of New South Wales. Building is exactly the same but internal refit makes it better to work in.

Travelled from Musgrave Roadhouse via the "New Dixie" road to Dunbar station -about 200klm to save a round trip via the Tablelands and back to Chillagoe of about 600 extra klm's The Council at each end are doing some work on the Dixie road but the 30 of 40 klm in the middle are a bit ordinary. It took over 7 hours to do 400 klm so I camped over night at the Gilbert River which was great as I had it to myself except for heaps of birds, kangaroos, heaps of cattle in the distance and 4 little pigs. The crossing over the Mitchell River is good with rubber matting on the approaches and the whole river bed.

Anyone going to the Cape should consider going either or both ways via this road as it is pretty boring going up the coast road to Cairns. The dirt roads in the Carpentaria Shire are mostly excellent and had to go back to 2wd drive as the surface was so hard and smooth. Used 4wd high range for all other dirt as it made handling so much easier.

From Weipa to the Tip and back to Musgrave roadhouse fuel was out to 12.8 lit/100k so put new air filter in yesterday morning as I noticed EGT's a little higher so when I refuel tomorrow to go to Lawn Hill, I expect it to improve again.

No premium diesel north of Cooktown so remember that if you need it.

Fuel costs are dearer the further north you go- Bamaga $2.45, Bramwell Junction $2.10, Musgrave $1.88 and Weipa $1.66. Hard to fathom as the fuel barge go to Bamaga then to Weipa which is obviously further south. Speaking of Weipa, had to do oil change so went to Shell servo where the old dear was great but the "mechanic" in the shed needs a bit of something. I walked in the door and said "mate, I need to do oil change in the Patrol" He replied come back 3 weeks tomorrow. "Thanks mate" I said as I walked out the door. I had 10 lt of good old Penrite in the back so I did change myself into an old bucket and refilled containers and dumped the whole lot at the Weipa dump on way out of town. Suggest you carry your own oil for such an occasion.

Photos will have to wait until I get back to real world as I can't remember how to upload them. Have done it before but will have to learn again

cheers from Normanton.

Peter

Cuppa
1st August 2014, 07:05 PM
Another good report Peter, thanks.

We enjoyed Chillagoe, but didn’t travel the Dixie Rd.
Unless the grader has been in during the past 10 days or so, you can expect some good corrugations going out to Lawn Hill. For us it was worth every jolt - we took an hour to drive between Adels Grove & Lawn Hill Gorge (& if I remember correctly this was where we named the deep corrugations ‘Boob Shakers’. It was an interesting & fun drive). ;) We were there in later October, very hot, but we had the whole of Lawn Hill to ourselves for a week except for a couple of day trippers. Also had our own 2 seater inflatable Kayak - Sevylor (anyone want to buy it) & spent a night camped up on alongside the tufa waterfall further up the gorge. Magic place.
http://www.cuppa500.com/_Big_Trip/Entries/2008/11/6_Entry_15_-_Burketown%2C_Gregory_Downs_%26_Lawn_Hill_________ ____.html

If they still allow it, make sure you spend a night or two camped down at the river at Gregory Downs too. This is one of the best camps in Oz (at least it was for us, again had it to ourselves). Clear warm waist deep running water under shade, & lined with Paperbarks & Pandanus ( & rare Purple Crested Fairy Wrens).

HuskyInAuz
1st August 2014, 09:41 PM
I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the amount of vans north of the NSW border!!! We are north of Cooktown now and there is a little bit of a let up.
Just amazing ...

Wizard52
20th August 2014, 07:03 PM
Hi all

Back home a couple of weeks early for a couple of reasons but will slip over to Fraser on Saturday to make up as I hear the tailor are on the chew.

After I left Normanton which I preferred over Karumba which is just a pro fisherman and tourist destination headed down to Burke & Wills roadhouse and then to Gregory Downs where I had tea and many beers at the pub. I had been there back in 1970 when transferred by the bank to Mt Isa and it looks the same but camping ground out the back was ok. Down in the river, there were hundreds of vans so I gave it a miss and just stayed out back of the pub. Then off to Lawn Hill which was so green compared to further north and later further south. Climbed every mountain and walked most of the trails and got some good photos to upload soon. Quite a few people around but camp grounds and facilities are excellent.

Decided then to head towards the Isa so on road out of Lawn Hill turned right to go via Riversleigh where they have found fossils etc. This would save another few hundred kilometres via Burke and Wills and Cloncurry. The road to Riversleigh did more damage to the tyres than the rest of the trip combined. Very rocky so slow going. Got to the display building at Riversleigh and was talking to the only other vehicle I saw until meeting the Gregory Downs/Camoweal road. They were in a Disco 4 V6TD and he was complaining about how bad the road was from Camoweal so I thought I was in for a slow trip. After crossing the Gregory River a few times I was looking for the bad road. It was not flash but that bloke had no idea what he was in for from Riversleigh to Lawn Hill. Hope he made it as he had the low profile tyres. The road to Camoweal was average until the 1st turn off to the Isa but deteriorated after that. I wanted to go to Camoweal and the NT border for the photo as there isn't much else there.

Mt Isa is just as I remember it from September 71 when I was transferred out. Dry, dusty and to an outsider, a bit depressing now. I had a great time back then and had my 21st birthday there and still have contact with several good friends from that time. Great memories. The Barkly Hotel was the main entertainment venue. Next stop was Cloncurry and then the famous Walkabout Creek Hotel in Mckinlay. New owners earlier this year and good camping facilities just out the back door of the pub. All I had to do was fall down 3 steps at the back door and 10 paces to the ute so very convenient. Good beer, good food and great "vibe" and friendly staff and locals.

By this time I was committed to heading home but had to stop at Longreach to see the Qantas museum. Fantastic and will definitely return there and spend a whole day there.

Next stop was Duaringa west of Rocky at the free camp site. Next morning there was a pie van so lashed out and bought a "breakfast pie" and a cup of tea. Best pie ever with meat, bacon, cheese and a whole fried egg under the top. Amazing how you remember insignificant things.

South to Biloela, Monto, Mt Perry and Childers to see the bird aviary and then home.

Almost 8,000 klm at average 13.23 lt/100k so very impressed with that.

Will upload some photos and do a build thread when I get back form Fraser early next month

cheer

Peter