PDA

View Full Version : KATROL's Hot box

katwoman
17th February 2011, 12:34 AM
Towed a trailer the other week, with no more than a tonne of stuff. Gearbox got that hot that it felt like heater was on full bore in cabin. She's been to the doctor's and they cant find anything wrong.
Should I get a second opinion? Or do the GU's get warm when towing?
Katrol needs to be a tow bus, so has to be right.
PS How do I unsubscribe to a thread?
Kat

TheFlyingBadger
17th February 2011, 01:34 AM

RustyNails
17th February 2011, 01:39 AM
Damn, Not the thread I thought it was

katwoman
17th February 2011, 01:52 AM
Damn, Not the thread I thought it was

haha, very funny.. is that classed as a hijack????

Bigrig
17th February 2011, 05:58 AM
Towed a trailer the other week, with no more than a tonne of stuff. Gearbox got that hot that it felt like heater was on full bore in cabin. She's been to the doctor's and they cant find anything wrong.
Should I get a second opinion? Or do the GU's get warm when towing?
Katrol needs to be a tow bus, so has to be right.
Kat

If it is an auto, then they get bloody hot. Mine is the same in the GQ - feels like you actually have the heater on. That said, obviously don't know how hot yours is running, so get a second opinion for peace of mind I guess - I did just to be sure.

Sir Roofy
17th February 2011, 08:21 AM
hi
ive been hauling wood with my 4.5 auto a ton at a time and a camper and never saw my temp needle go past half way even on the hottest days
have you dipped your oil when you think its hot might be lower than it should be under load
i run mine a tad higher than recomended for steep country
have you put in the right oil
have checked the oilcooler fins might be blocked ,bugs damage

veeate
17th February 2011, 12:29 PM
has it got a seperate trans fluid cooler ? if not, installing one woud make a big difference.

katwoman
17th February 2011, 06:19 PM
has it got a seperate trans fluid cooler ? if not, installing one woud make a big difference.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's got transmision cooler. Its got about 5 in there ! ( for different jobs obviously). Engine temp doesnt normally get past 100c, thats only with the aircon on. May just get a auto tech to have a look.
But food for thought..

veeate
17th February 2011, 06:32 PM
might be worth installing a transmission temp gauge so you can see how hot it is actually getting... just for peace of mind

katwoman
17th February 2011, 06:37 PM
might be worth installing a transmission temp gauge so you can see how hot it is actually getting... just for peace of mind
Yes, is something I will look into, nothing worse than cooking the gearbox.

YNOT
17th February 2011, 07:20 PM

Check this link for transmission temperature gauge kits. I'm thinking of getting one for Nugget.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=12031

Tony

katwoman
18th February 2011, 06:39 PM
Check this link for transmission temperature gauge kits. I'm thinking of getting one for Nugget.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=12031

Tony
Just checked these out and they are $245 plus about $20 postage. Is that fair price?

Dhuck
18th February 2011, 06:56 PM
Umm mmmmmmm I am in the wrong forum. Sorry Kat

YNOT
18th February 2011, 07:52 PM
Just checked these out and they are $245 plus about $20 postage. Is that fair price?

I don't know of anyone else who does a kit like that so difficult to compare, but it doesn't seem to bad to me.
Thanks for checking the price for me, I hadn't got around to doing that yet.

Tony

katwoman
18th February 2011, 11:02 PM
Umm mmmmmmm I am in the wrong forum. Sorry Kat

Everyone's a comedian !!

katwoman
5th May 2011, 02:38 PM
Ok, as per this thread ,Katrol has been on heat since I bought her, 8 months ago. After much deliberation I decided to take the thermos fans off and go back to original. I wanted to keep the 5 core aluminum radiator. So, after buying a clutch fan and blades off eBay( and full fanbelt kit) for around $220 with postage, I started to destroy Katrol. Took front wheels off for easier access, ripped of thermos and electric water pump. Put on new clutch fan and blades and made a shroud. The shroud I stole from one of the wrecked 'other' 4x4s down the paddock and cut and adjusted to suit. Sprayed it nice and shiny, job done. I'm not overly impressed with it, but seems to work. ( a bit agricultural for my liking) Katrol was getting to temps of 100c + on warm days towing a trailer.
Went for a run this morning, drove about 25k's with air con on full noise, and a 'little' over speed limit. ( is a quiet back road). She climbed to 80c pretty quick ( about 5 min) but stayed there the whole time. End result ; I am stoked !!! Did the whole job myself and took all up, maybe a day. And I also did the whole thing without removing the radiator !! It's handy having smaller hands, sometimes !
And yes, piccies to follow !!

Bigrig
5th May 2011, 02:47 PM
Well done Kat!!! Not something my 'man hands' could have achieved ... mostly because they are both left!!! LOL

Glad to hear you've sorted the issue - but I'm sure we can get Katrol to heat up on a few obstacles at Loce Day!!! lol

katwoman
5th May 2011, 02:53 PM
Ps. It wasn't the gearbox at all !

katwoman
5th May 2011, 05:17 PM
Keep in mind, the radiator was in the whole time, so pics are not brilliant..
Removal of thermos Fans and electric water pump and replace with original clutch fan and blades.
Sorry they're not in order..

Clunk
5th May 2011, 05:28 PM
nice work Kat,

Sir Roofy
5th May 2011, 05:46 PM
well done mate a true country girl

katwoman
5th May 2011, 05:49 PM
well done mate a true country girl
Aww shucks. Thx Roofy..
Case of 'have to' not 'want to'.

Dhuck
5th May 2011, 06:37 PM
damn you broke it. Bloody jig saw puzzles.

the ferret
5th May 2011, 06:47 PM
Neat job Kat, well done.

fixer982
5th May 2011, 06:49 PM
Really impressed with your handiwork, Kat. Your hands must be small because I have just been inspecting the guts, trying to see how hard it is top change the radiator and there's not much room in there. Did that Aluminium radiator come with the car, or did you put it in yourself?

katwoman
5th May 2011, 06:52 PM
Really impressed with your handiwork, Kat. Your hands must be small because I have just been inspecting the guts, trying to see how hard it is top change the radiator and there's not much room in there. Did that Aluminium radiator come with the car, or did you put it in yourself?

radiator and fans were in the car, when I bought it.. Been nothing but trouble, but was hoping radiator was ok. So far it is..
Not alot of room, no. But you'd be amazed at how much your hands and arms squash up when you force them !!

katwoman
5th May 2011, 06:54 PM
Oh, and when I went to the local Natrad, they quoted me $2000 for the same job !! Geez.. Do I look female or something?

Clunk
5th May 2011, 06:58 PM
Oh, and when I went to the local Natrad, they quoted me $2000 for the same job !! Geez.. Do I look female or something?

we don't know Kat, you could be a 12 year old boy hahahahahaha

:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked: :hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:

katwoman
5th May 2011, 07:01 PM
we don't know Kat, you could be a 12 year old boy hahahahahaha

:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked: :hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:
You just couldnt help yourself, could you ???
Pride taken back !!

Clunk
5th May 2011, 07:06 PM
You just couldnt help yourself, could you ???
Pride taken back !!

hahahahaha, sorry I just couldn't resist. I've been biting me tongue all afternoon roflmao

Dark 1
5th May 2011, 10:24 PM
Uuummmm sorry where's the "hot box".........

katwoman
5th May 2011, 10:26 PM
Uuummmm sorry where's the "hot box".........
pml.... my mistake, it wasnt the box that was hot after all !! But it got your attention tho !!!!

the ferret
5th May 2011, 10:40 PM
Did ya lose any bark in those tight places Kat ?, I only have to lift the bonnet and skin gets ripped off!!

Finly Owner
5th May 2011, 11:31 PM
Very ood work. Be loud and proud Kat. Some blokes could not have done so well.

Tim

katwoman
5th May 2011, 11:33 PM
Did ya lose any bark in those tight places Kat ?, I only have to lift the bonnet and skin gets ripped off!!

Not a mark, nor swearword said, Rod. Although came close when I got coolant in my eye.. That stuff smarts !!
Sore knees from kneeling on bullbar.

Dhuck
6th May 2011, 12:22 AM
Can you come to my place and do a bit under my bonnet please Kat. I can't reach. It's to bloody high.

growler2058
6th May 2011, 07:44 AM
Onya Kat good job......always satisfying DIY i find especially in your case where that mob wanted to charge you 2k!!!!!!

katwoman
6th May 2011, 08:33 AM
No probs Dhuck. Any time ! Feel like an expert now.
Sounds weird but it was actually a pleasure doing this job. It's probaly an easy fix, but when you're used to working on 50 yr old cars, working On a 13 yr old one was great.

Bigrig
6th May 2011, 08:43 AM
Can you come to my place and do a bit under my bonnet please Kat. I can't reach. It's to bloody high.

Dhuck is talking about the bonnet of his standard commodore wagon by the way!!! lmfao

katwoman
6th May 2011, 08:45 AM
Dhuck is talking about the bonnet of his standard commodore wagon by the way!!! lmfao

Haha. That picture will get me thru the rest of today !!

Dhuck
6th May 2011, 08:50 AM
Yes he regularly comments on my height. Yes I am only a short lad (not even 5 1/2 feet short), but Scotty is only just taller. However I am not short and round yet. If I continue to associate with him, I will be with the amount of nectar we consume. But I am not complaining.

Bigrig
6th May 2011, 09:23 AM
Yes he regularly comments on my height. Yes I am only a short lad (not even 5 1/2 feet short), but Scotty is only just taller. However I am not short and round yet. If I continue to associate with him, I will be with the amount of nectar we consume. But I am not complaining.

Hahaha!!! Not many people shorter than me brother, so I have to take my opportunity when it arises. Just you and that little bloke from Austin Powers, and I don't know his facebook address to hang it on him, so looks like you're it!!!! LMFAO!!!!

Dhuck
6th May 2011, 09:26 AM
Hahaha!!! Not many people shorter than me brother, so I have to take my opportunity when it arises. Just you and that little bloke from Austin Powers, and I don't know his facebook address to hang it on him, so looks like you're it!!!! LMFAO!!!!

Is all good I can take the short stuff, but my truck's bigger.

Bigrig
6th May 2011, 09:27 AM
Is all good I can take the short stuff, but my truck's bigger.

LOL!! Yes it is little fella .. not sure what that over compensation is for though!!! roflmfao!!!

Sorry for the hijack Kat!!

Finly Owner
6th May 2011, 10:56 PM
No probs Dhuck. Any time ! Feel like an expert now.
Sounds weird but it was actually a pleasure doing this job. It's probaly an easy fix, but when you're used to working on 50 yr old cars, working On a 13 yr old one was great.
Careful Kat, he's so short that when you lean over his high bonnet you'll turn to see him perving..................LOL

Tim

the ferret
6th May 2011, 11:08 PM
Can't handle a short perve!! he he

Dhuck
6th May 2011, 11:28 PM
I am a respectable old man

NissanGQ4.2
6th May 2011, 11:38 PM
damn it, I still see this thread pop up and giggle.....yes i am a dirty old man.....ps: you should of left the thermo's in, they may of just needed 2 b set up correctly 2 stop your box from getting so damn hot!...but whats wrong with a hot box anyway *LMAO*

Dhuck
6th May 2011, 11:43 PM
mmmmmmmmm a hot box.

Damn in the sh!t again for no manners and language

katwoman
7th May 2011, 08:31 AM
Careful Kat, he's so short that when you lean over his high bonnet you'll turn to see him perving..................LOL

Tim

Not much chance of that, Tim.

And yes, Todd, your probaly right. About leaving them in. But I was over the screaming banshees ( I don't like competition). And ppl pointing at car.