PDA

View Full Version : QLD , Glasshouse Mountains, this Sunday 13/7/14

04OFF
11th July 2014, 10:41 AM
Glasshouse Mountains, this Sunday 13/7/14.

Meet @ BP Coloundra heading north (two big BPs opposite each other on the bruce highway)

Meet at 7.30am, at the most northern end of the car park (near where trucks park), UHF 17

Cruisey day exploring, easy to medium tracks, avoiding any deep mud/water if we can.

Open to all car brands, so your mate in his nissan toyjo, mitsu etc is welcome to come along. :)

Ben-e-boy
11th July 2014, 02:28 PM
I cant make it this time

04OFF
11th July 2014, 03:34 PM
Being a 1000ks away is a weak excuse Benny, look, ill even shout you a Mocha choc milk to off set the cost if you get there.....:thumbup:

Hahahaah !

macca86
11th July 2014, 05:00 PM
Jenni and I are in for the trip. No mud or water! Jenni has rules for the new patrol like no mud water or stupid ship like last time

megatexture
11th July 2014, 05:30 PM
Just check the depth ? If its deep go around.. lol
theres nothing wrong with shallow water or if theres no chance of getting stuck or is she really cracking the whip? Lol

macca86
11th July 2014, 05:49 PM
She said hubs only water I managed to convince her to allow up to the side steps

lhurley
11th July 2014, 05:58 PM
She said hubs only water I managed to convince her to allow up to the side steps

Didnt buy muddies for nothing...

Dhuck
11th July 2014, 07:41 PM
The girl needs a good talking to. lol

Ben-e-boy
11th July 2014, 07:47 PM
Being a 1000ks away is a weak excuse Benny, look, ill even shout you a Mocha choc milk to off set the cost if you get there.....:thumbup:

Hahahaah !

I have joined the local club and in the coming months I should gather some more local knowledge, I would like to do a trip from glastonbury through Amamoor, Imbil to Kenilworth and maybe a camp at Charlie Moorland campground

megatexture
11th July 2014, 07:52 PM
Great campground benny and I also booloumba is good also if you can get a site by the creek

macca86
11th July 2014, 08:12 PM
Dhuck give her a serve! I take it you'll be there Sunday.

Dhuck
11th July 2014, 08:26 PM
No mate. My truck is being demodded at the moment. Have lowered it and put 33's on it. Also removed the roll cage. Have to finish moving the battery under the bonnet and get a new dash after it was cut up and drilled to get the cage in. However I am busting my gut to get back out. Will be at a party next weekend. Will have to give her a grilling then. lol

macca86
11th July 2014, 08:38 PM
Did the po po catch up on the patrol did they? Well see you at the party then

macca86
12th July 2014, 08:03 AM
04off how many in our convoy now? I don't have a UHF.

megatexture
12th July 2014, 12:42 PM
I'm going to have to bail on this one I've got a house of sickness here and it ain't pritty.

macca86
12th July 2014, 12:46 PM
It's going around mate jen and I aren't well either

04OFF
12th July 2014, 01:08 PM
04off how many in our convoy now? I don't have a UHF.

No idea mate, bit of interest via text, but lots of maybes, its been late notice so I don't expect heaps.

Look, Im going even if its by myself, I got used to people not turning up for trips in the very early days of owning a 4x4, im 100% self sufficient and pretty much never rely on anyone anyway, im well used to going everywhere solo ;)

Do you not have a hand held UHF ?, I thought all game shooters had hand helds ?

I can lend you my "spotters" hand held UHF if you have nothing Stevo.

04OFF
12th July 2014, 01:10 PM
I'm going to have to bail on this one I've got a house of sickness here and it ain't pritty.

Bugger, just make sure your rig is ready for Landcruiser in Aug, need some fellow night runners. (lol)

macca86
12th July 2014, 01:22 PM
No idea mate, bit of interest via text, but lots of maybes, its been late notice so I don't expect heaps.

Look, Im going even if its by myself, I got used to people not turning up for trips in the very early days of owning a 4x4, im 100% self sufficient and pretty much never rely on anyone anyway, im well used to going everywhere solo ;)

Do you not have a hand held UHF ?, I thought all game shooters had hand helds ?

I can lend you my "spotters" hand held UHF if you have nothing Stevo.

Know what you mean by no one turn up! I normally go hunting alone so don't need one. We will be there need to get out of the house!

megatexture
12th July 2014, 02:38 PM
Bugger, just make sure your rig is ready for Landcruiser in Aug, need some fellow night runners. (lol)

Yea I'm trying, I was going to make a start poping out my scils ready to bog before I put the sliders on but the missus isn't in a good way so I have to stay in and help with the little ones who are also sick. I'm sick of being sick lately..

04OFF
12th July 2014, 02:39 PM
Know what you mean by no one turn up! I normally go hunting alone so don't need one. We will be there need to get out of the house!

Steve, I made my own rule a while ago, if I invite someone and they say they will come, then don't turn up for 3 trips in a row (without good reason), I simply don't bother to invite them anywhere again ever, as I figure they obviously don't "really" want to go 4wdriving at all.

Ive honestly been surprised how many friends I know who have 4x4s, yet hardly ever use them off road, this is why I love the forum, lots of people actually wanting to get out and do stuff ;)

megatexture
12th July 2014, 04:18 PM
Steve, I made my own rule a while ago, if I invite someone and they say they will come, then don't turn up for 3 trips in a row (without good reason), I simply don't bother to invite them anywhere again ever, as I figure they obviously don't "really" want to go 4wdriving at all.

Ive honestly been surprised how many friends I know who have 4x4s, yet hardly ever use them off road, this is why I love the forum, lots of people actually wanting to get out and do stuff ;)

Ill have to check what count im up to !

macca86
12th July 2014, 04:22 PM
Just making excuses isn't as bad as not showing up so you should be right

lhurley
12th July 2014, 05:34 PM
Whats the cops at glassy situation??

I have heard from a few people that glasshouse has been bombarded by cops and DOT and parks and wildlife. All of which are going gang busters to fine everyone and anyone.

macca86
12th July 2014, 05:36 PM
It's a state forest as long as your car is legal registered and you haven't crossed any fence or blocked off area you are fine. No different to mt mee or any state forest

lhurley
12th July 2014, 05:39 PM
It's a state forest as long as your car is legal registered and you haven't crossed any fence or blocked off area you are fine. No different to mt mee or any state forest

More the legal car part im worried about. Larger tyres.

Im thinking i should just suck it up and go and cop the fine if it happens. I wont be in a patrol tho :(

macca86
12th July 2014, 05:55 PM
Well if your cars not legal you could get done going to the local shops may as well get done having fun

megatexture
12th July 2014, 06:31 PM
Whats the cops at glassy situation??

I have heard from a few people that glasshouse has been bombarded by cops and DOT and parks and wildlife. All of which are going gang busters to fine everyone and anyone.

i think alot of people get glasshouse mixed up with beerbrum area there are areas with in glasshouse and surrounding areas you cant go and depending on what side you approach it from it should be signed.
like macca said you can get booked anywhere and ive only seen one 4x4 have to go home on a flatbed due to illegal mods

nissannewby
12th July 2014, 06:40 PM
You guys should make this later in the day :). Or I could change my plans and come for a quick run in the morning lol.

Nuh I can't make it this time to much to get done at home. Are you guys keen for a run on the last weekend of this month?

04OFF
12th July 2014, 06:53 PM
Ive heard about cops @ GH Lachlan, just as you hear about them everywhere else, even on the way in to Landcruiser Park.

Ive never hear anyone say DOT/Cops have been stopping every single car/bike for inspection, when they do this type of bust is when "everyone" is in trouble, even if your car "is" legal, as they are out to issue defects, right or wrong you have a good chance of getting done (I know this from first hand experience)

From experiences on another other forum, I think the cops @ GH are more after unregistered cars and bikes, stuff with 37s and 6 inch lift may also be in trouble, but those guys know they are running the gauntlet 24/7.

Think my car will stand out as the DOT draw card anyway mate (lol), and I can tell you, after my last run in with DOT, im now pretty well prepared with rules and paperwork to fight my case, but still, if they really want ya, your toast :p

macca86
12th July 2014, 06:57 PM
I thought you were legal Steve you do everything right and by the book what did they get you?

gaddy
12th July 2014, 07:04 PM
7.30 at the BP eh , sounds like a plan , bringing the wife and dirt magnets , will only be for the morning though

lhurley
12th July 2014, 07:04 PM
Well in keen. Ill be there. Albeit in a Vajero.

Dhuck
12th July 2014, 07:48 PM
Did the po po catch up on the patrol did they? Well see you at the party then

No mate mate, just not game to cross them

04OFF
12th July 2014, 08:05 PM
I thought you were legal Steve you do everything right and by the book what did they get you?
I am steve, got a defect for something that was not illegal, utter BS but you cant argue wiv em when they are out to get ya

Ill explain 2morrow

macca86
12th July 2014, 08:12 PM
My sister got a defect for being too low once in her commodore I cut a steel plate at 100mm took a tape and steel rule and then put everywhere under the car and got her off the fine at the inspection

NP99
12th July 2014, 10:15 PM
i think alot of people get glasshouse mixed up with beerbrum area there are areas with in glasshouse and surrounding areas you cant go and depending on what side you approach it from it should be signed.
like macca said you can get booked anywhere and ive only seen one 4x4 have to go home on a flatbed due to illegal mods

They hang around the killing fields when they get leads every so often....

Dhuck
12th July 2014, 11:17 PM
My sister got a defect for being too low once in her commodore I cut a steel plate at 100mm took a tape and steel rule and then put everywhere under the car and got her off the fine at the inspection

I have a 100mm box at work that I use to check vehicle heights. We then do a report to take to the authorities to shove up they're arse. You would be surprised how many cars are below legal height. I raised a car 50mm the other day and was not the lowest car I have had to raise.

macca86
13th July 2014, 04:44 AM
When my sister bought her car I had to raise it with king springs super low as the previous owner chopped the springs and have cut through the next one plus the front struts bearings were all smashed yet it passed a dodgy roady.

I use to be a hoon as such you know the guys 6-10 years ago causing mayhem at broad beach car park then laps down by the spit to cavil ave then computer rd yatla to magnesium dr crestmead to staypleton running from cops etc drag racing the m1 burn outs etc I saw a lot of low cars! I had a vs commodore s pack that was 102mm was just legal but had chip cam cold air intake tickled heads msd coils 5 speed manual and some camber in it front and back before it was trendy. Use to surprise the v8 and import guys when I beat them to 80km/h in just a v6 naturally aspirated mate haha. Top end they killed me though.

04OFF
13th July 2014, 06:45 AM
Haha, I know all those places (and a few more) from my torrie driving days , so does that mean I was a hoon Steve ? :smile:

Anyway, see you guys soon ! :thumbup:

macca86
13th July 2014, 07:13 AM
Just left the house now

NP99
13th July 2014, 07:58 AM
Have a great day out there guys.

macca86
13th July 2014, 08:11 AM
Im still on my way. Just at steve irwin way. See ya'll soon

macca86
13th July 2014, 08:49 AM
Must of missed you guys. Have a good trip.

lhurley
13th July 2014, 09:00 AM
We were waiting at the servo for you. We are going past the lookout of you wanna meet us there

macca86
13th July 2014, 09:26 AM
Ive headed home now. Did you guys meet at the caboolture servo or the one north of aussie world I went to the 2 bp at forest glen north of aussie world as description said calundra not caboolture my mistake I didnt make it

nissannewby
13th July 2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah it does say caloundra Steve! Macca nothing like a Sunday drive in the new car aye.

gaddy
13th July 2014, 12:25 PM

macca86
13th July 2014, 02:30 PM
Interesting story gaddy. How was the trip guys

megatexture
13th July 2014, 03:09 PM
So it all went balls up ? I thought all Steve's thought alike lol

macca86
13th July 2014, 03:13 PM
Looks like I made a mistake with the meeting point

04OFF
13th July 2014, 05:10 PM
Yeh my bad Steve, sorry bud, I buggered that one up for sure, was wondering how you made a mistake, guess that's what happens when i try posting stuff while rushed at work, nobody but you noticed BTW, colounbra, colbulture , all sounds the same dosent it ? (lol) :1087:

Well at least Jen will be happy you didn't break anything and didn't get muddy !

We all had a great time anyway.

Pics and small vid uploading.....

macca86
13th July 2014, 05:15 PM
I thought it was strange to head so far north but figured you were exploring new areas in the northern section.
I almost stopped in to the caboulture service centre thinking you may have had an auto correct mistake but said nah Steve is pretty good with these things. Still had a nice road trip with the wife And dogs

04OFF
13th July 2014, 05:19 PM
Didn't much like the ride, but Pretty happy with the flex from my new springs

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/flex2Large.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/flex1Large.jpg

2 inch with both sway bars attached I think its OK ?

Got to christen my rear bar, gave it a couple of knocks and scrapes, handled it all like I expected....

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/barscrape1Large.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/barscrape2Large.jpg

04OFF
13th July 2014, 05:22 PM
I thought it was strange to head so far north but figured you were exploring new areas in the northern section.
I almost stopped in to the caboulture service centre thinking you may have had an auto correct mistake but said nah Steve is pretty good with these things. Still had a nice road trip with the wife And dogs

No, total F up on my part , no excuses macca, im normally on the ball, just cocked it this time mate, again, very sorry to send you on a wild goose chase, hope no one else did the same. :frown:

gaddy
13th July 2014, 05:34 PM
Had a great morning , kids got to ride on the ultimate off roader , on the power lines track ,

megatexture
13th July 2014, 06:01 PM

Sorry mate but that's a strike one for a no show? Isn't it lol:tongue::1087:

NissanGQ4.2
13th July 2014, 06:03 PM
No, total F up on my part , no excuses macca, im normally on the ball, just cocked it this time mate, again, very sorry to send you on a wild goose chase, hope no one else did the same. :frown:

yeh I'm still lost.................thanks Steve *L*

nissannewby
13th July 2014, 06:06 PM
Did you guys come across the SSv bogged with Vic plates at all?

lhurley
13th July 2014, 07:11 PM
Where was it Matty? I didnt see it, wasnt looking tho

macca86
13th July 2014, 07:45 PM
More pics or videos coming? Looks good Steve

AB
13th July 2014, 07:50 PM
More pics or videos coming? Looks good Steve

X2 looking forward to the piccys gents!!!

Especially from our own forum pro camera man. I'm quite a pro myself when it comes to taking photos though I must admit...bahaha

lhurley
13th July 2014, 07:50 PM
I have 2 videos of Steve (04off), uploading now.

lhurley
13th July 2014, 08:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqNlx7jiSI

Heres the first one.

NP99
13th July 2014, 08:23 PM
I have 2 videos of Steve (04off), uploading now.

How did you go mate, with the LPG tank?

lhurley
13th July 2014, 08:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzWYKPw0NM

heres number 2

lhurley
13th July 2014, 08:29 PM

I wasnt in my patrol today. Thats getting ready for sale. I was in a pajero.

In saying that, i have taken my patrol to glasshouse a heap of times, and have dropped the car on the gas tank just as many times. Its a 120L tank so its massive and it likes to hit everything.

macca86
13th July 2014, 08:31 PM
Now I'm annoyed I didn't make it. I wanted to play!

lhurley
13th July 2014, 08:39 PM
Now I'm annoyed I didn't make it. I wanted to play!

Thats just incentive to plan another trip isnt it?? Depending on how many strikes you have :P

It was very dry. Probably the driest ive seen glassy. Any day in the dirt is a better day then driving on the black top.

It was a good day, i was even aloud to still come, not being in a patrol and not being named steve.

Thanks Steve's.

megatexture
13th July 2014, 08:46 PM

Heres the first one.

Was that tower hill?? If so it looks like a smooth run now!

gaddy
13th July 2014, 08:52 PM
Thats just incentive to plan another trip isnt it?? Depending on how many strikes you have :P

It was very dry. Probably the driest ive seen glassy. Any day in the dirt is a better day then driving on the black top.

It was a good day, i was even aloud to still come, not being in a patrol and not being named steve.

Thanks Steve's.

You can be a honorary Steve when on trips :)

macca86
13th July 2014, 08:57 PM
I at least made an effort and drove all the way up there! Shouldn't count as a strike as the other two Steve's have witnessed I'm a man of my word ask about a certain knife incident. If troy can get away with excuses I can get away with this one

lhurley
13th July 2014, 09:01 PM

Nfi what it's called, it's the little play area near widow maker just off the main track

lhurley
13th July 2014, 09:05 PM
I at least made an effort and drove all the way up there! Shouldn't count as a strike as the other two Steve's have witnessed I'm a man of my word ask about a certain knife incident. If troy can get away with excuses I can get away with this one

All good bud, mistakes happen. At least you got out the house for a bit.

Dhuck
13th July 2014, 09:07 PM
Nfi what it's called, it's the little play area near widow maker just off the main track

Yes it was the tower hill. Just below is widow maker

04OFF
13th July 2014, 09:12 PM

Think you must be getting me confused with someone else bud, never had or will get LPG on my rig.

Heres the first one.

Still the same Troy, just a different line I took this time.

Heres a on-car view of the same run.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBm-wr7oog&list=UUL2wnNRGXLpIH7Xckhq2C7g

nissannewby
13th July 2014, 10:39 PM
So is there enough interest to throw a thread up for the last weekend of this month?

megatexture
13th July 2014, 10:55 PM
Think you must be getting me confused with someone else bud, never had or will get LPG on my rig.

Still the same Troy, just a different line I took this time.

Heres a on-car view of the same run.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBm-wr7oog&list=UUL2wnNRGXLpIH7Xckhq2C7g

The last time I did it there was a good mtr step up on the left that I'd sit the chassis on if I didn't go to the right

04OFF
14th July 2014, 12:14 AM
Hard to know what conditions were like when you did it of course Troy (and it is now dry and firm) but there is still a big step up, I had to hit it just right, as to not bottom out on the chassis, its just that the video makes it look like a motorway (lol).

If you look at the in-car video, you can see Lachlan pointing/sending me over to the right as it obviously looked easier, and to back up what I'm saying, none of the other boys wanted to attempt the hill using "any" line.

megatexture
14th July 2014, 10:05 AM
Yea no doubt vids never do it justice, not saying it was easy just verry diffrent.

So who ended up going in the end ?

nissannewby
14th July 2014, 10:21 AM
So is there enough interest to throw a thread up for the last weekend of this month?

Bump......

04OFF
14th July 2014, 11:22 AM
Yea no doubt vids never do it justice, not saying it was easy just verry diffrent.

So who ended up going in the end ?

It actually "was" easy (as you saw), but i went around it all (on a different track) to get back up top the second time, knowing a wheel wrong on that step could turn into a hassle very quickly.

You need to get your car sorted so you can go see for yourself now ;)

Had 4 cars (not inlcuding macca) 2 GUs , one Paj, one FJ cruiser

Bump......

Start a thread Mat, im not sure myself bud, normally always keen, but its getting close to my trip to Landcruiser, and its playing on my mind that, the last time i had a trip planned to Landcruiser i rolled my car the weekend before !

I think im going to have to change my springs again, so may be keen to test em out before LC though.;)

nissannewby
14th July 2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah not really wanting to do a hardcore run just wanna get out for a play as I also wanna try to get out for your night run at cruiser.

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2014, 07:00 PM
I think im going to have to change my springs again, so may be keen to test em out before LC though.;)

What is wrong with your springs? What type do you have now?

megatexture
14th July 2014, 07:48 PM
You need to get your car sorted so you can go see for yourself now ;)

I've started poping the dent out welding tacks on to pull them out today but tomorrow it's booked in for the transfer so can't do more till I get it back

megatexture
14th July 2014, 08:11 PM
Not in any order...

04OFF
14th July 2014, 08:46 PM
What is wrong with your springs? What type do you have now?

I got new Lovells springs to cope with the extra weight of the bar work etc, sat too high in the front (my front bar is not heavy enough) and too low in the rear, the ride was so hard, you needed a kidney belt on bitumen, handled like a race car, but obviously more suited to a very heavy car (big steel bar and cable winch etc)

Swapped springs for the softer versions (only 2 versions available), nice and comfy, but sat too low ,and lost height within a week, (so obviously my car is too heavy for these)

So then I tried hard in the rear, soft in the front, not too bad overall, and worked very well off road, but im still not happy with the height or the ride really,mines a daily driver so I need comfort.

Not in any order...

Looks like you don't have factory stone guard on your sills Troy ?

Good work so far, looks like you have a plan, you going to bog and paint yourself ?

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2014, 08:56 PM
Your wagon is usually loaded isnt it? Chuck it over a weigh bridge and see what it weighs front and back.
King springs might have something that could suit

megatexture
14th July 2014, 09:11 PM
Yea I'll pull, bog and paint myself then put sliders on and weld on brush bars to the sliders and paint the lot including bull bar and possibly rear bar that ones undecided but I'm going to make a different latch for rear bar so it more then likely will get done also. It only took an hr to pull that bit out so I was happy with that.

By stone guard are you referring to the little plastic boxes under the back doors? If so I pulled em off as I was sick of them getting ripped off.

My wagon is 2880kg with driver and full tank if it helps Steve, obviously ours are a bit different though.

04OFF
14th July 2014, 09:18 PM
Your wagon is usually loaded isnt it? Chuck it over a weigh bridge and see what it weighs front and back.
King springs might have something that could suit

Yes I can already approximately calculate the extra weight front and rear, as I know pretty much what all my extras front and rear add up to.

I had Kings in it before and were very happy with them all round, the same place I bought them from did not have any Kings this time and suggested the Lovells.

I can get Kings springs else where, and thought that would be the answer, but have since read they changed the way they manufacture them now (steel type & thickness), and sagging has been a issue with some users, as you can imagine, im kinda over buying/swapping different springs just to find out they are not what I want, so now ive been talking to a suspension place, and they are suggesting Dobinsons springs ?

nissannewby
14th July 2014, 09:33 PM
Yes I can already approximately calculate the extra weight front and rear, as I know pretty much what all my extras front and rear add up to.

I had Kings in it before and were very happy with them all round, the same place I bought them from did not have any Kings this time and suggested the Lovells.

I can get Kings springs else where, and thought that would be the answer, but have since read they changed the way they manufacture them now (steel type & thickness), and sagging has been a issue with some users, as you can imagine, im kinda over buying/swapping different springs just to find out they are not what I want, so now ive been talking to a suspension place, and they are suggesting Dobinsons springs ?

I would honestly talk to someone at superior. Their coils are making a name for themselves and a good one at that. They carry plenty of brands as well so should be able to help you out.

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2014, 09:38 PM

I have run dobinson for a long time now, they are a thick heavy spring. Next springs wont be though, I want thinner coils and enough lbs to just hold the ute up
If you had a 4 inch lift we could throw in my mediums and see how it goes

Ben-e-boy
14th July 2014, 09:40 PM
I would honestly talk to someone at superior. Their coils are making a name for themselves and a good one at that. They carry plenty of brands as well so should be able to help you out.

You would have to get it for the loaded weight, superiors arent a load spring, and they say that, loading them up would cause them to sag quickly.

nissannewby
14th July 2014, 09:42 PM
You would have to get it for the loaded weight, superiors arent a load spring, and they say that, loading them up would cause them to sag quickly.

Yeah I agree. However I have read of some people using them in constant load situations and are very happy with them. At the very least if he could talk to someone like Greg then he could get some very sound advice.

04OFF
15th July 2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys, will ring SE today Mattty, im not after that much really ,just a 2 inch lift that sits properly to start with, and will remain 2" for a good few years with all my bar work/winch etc, and i dont want to feel like im riding on the bump stops, if it had a little bit of flex it would be ideal also.

Is this too much to ask ?

While i can fit this stuff myself, im now at the stage where im going to get them fitted at the same place that reccomends the springs, that way, if they simply don't sit how they say they will, "they" can pull em out , instead of me dicking around !

04OFF
15th July 2014, 12:58 PM

Mmm, well didnt "really" quite get the responce i was looking for, seems that even knowing all the extra weight/s info on my car, and me wanting a certain height to be "retained", apparently is not something that can be accurately calculated or guaranteed. :frown:

I was told that they would get me what i wanted (eventually), but i may have to pay again/extra to get the height i want, and even then, the springs will undoubtably settle/sag anyway, and as this amount also, can NOT be accuratley calculated, so i may need to then pay "again" to have spacers fitted to get back to the height i want.

So yeh, seems like even owning one of the most commonly lifted cars (GU Patrol), its still all pretty much "guessing", with no guarentees on anything, its educated guessing sure, and would have to be better than my frustrating hit and miss approach, but id by lying if i said i was not expecting more.

So maybe i "am" asking too much ?

nissannewby
15th July 2014, 01:06 PM
I don't think you are. What are your thoughts on using say a 3" spring or even a 4" at a softer spec then take into account that they will sag and may do so to your desired level?

04OFF
15th July 2014, 02:35 PM
The problem is, knowbody knows how much 3'' springs will or wont sag, so its still just guessing at my expence, and so i will still have no idea where it will end up, sure it "should" retain 2 inches, but what if it sits much higher (again knowbody really knows), then ive got a 3 inch lift and my car is not legal.

Or worse, one end sags to 2'' and the other remains at 3'' , again, knowbody knows and is just guessing.

lhurley
15th July 2014, 03:31 PM
Are Old man emu the only spring that state the constant weight?? I have ome suspension, and my back springs are rated at 100kg constant load. they are slightly to hard, but thats really only noticeable when i have nothing in the back and no fuel.

You welcome to try them out before its gone steve?? only take me 20 mins to rip them out

04OFF
15th July 2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks lachlan, could you measure the distance from the centre of the hubs, straight up to the flare please ?

macca86
15th July 2014, 06:08 PM
My last gu had efs springs in 3 inch lift they offer soft medium and 150 300 500 kg constant load springs might be worth talking to them?

Ben-e-boy
15th July 2014, 06:52 PM
Mmm, well didnt "really" quite get the responce i was looking for, seems that even knowing all the extra weight/s info on my car, and me wanting a certain height to be "retained", apparently is not something that can be accurately calculated or guaranteed. :frown:

I was told that they would get me what i wanted (eventually), but i may have to pay again/extra to get the height i want, and even then, the springs will undoubtably settle/sag anyway, and as this amount also, can NOT be accuratley calculated, so i may need to then pay "again" to have spacers fitted to get back to the height i want.

So yeh, seems like even owning one of the most commonly lifted cars (GU Patrol), its still all pretty much "guessing", with no guarentees on anything, its educated guessing sure, and would have to be better than my frustrating hit and miss approach, but id by lying if i said i was not expecting more.

So maybe i "am" asking too much ?
In a way it still is a guessing game, "off the shelf springs" no matter what brand are designed for A PATROL

My patrol, your patrol, Mats patrol, Maccas patrol, gaddys patrol, scotts patrol, rods patrol etc.

If you can hold out for a few more weeks I have some calculations that might be able to help, they are predominatly for coil overs, but it is all about spring selection.

lhurley
15th July 2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks lachlan, could you measure the distance from the centre of the hubs, straight up to the flare please ?

Gave them a quick measure, its 580mm drivers and 650 passenger. Its on a slope (passenger high) so i will move it tomorrow and re measure it. But its got nearly no gas and probably max 15kg of stuff in the back

I found my original measurements from when i first got it, 610 passenger, and 625 drivers. That was with half a tank of gas and about 30kg of junk in the back. Again that was on a slight slope. My entire yard is on the piss one way or another.

04OFF
15th July 2014, 10:39 PM
In a way it still is a guessing game, "off the shelf springs" no matter what brand are designed for A PATROL
My patrol, your patrol, Mats patrol, Maccas patrol, gaddys patrol, scotts patrol, rods patrol etc.

Sure ,I can understand if we are talking fully modified suspension and various unknowns, but we are talking a pretty much bog stock standard Patrol (same as a billion others, insert names as above) installing a very common 2 inch lift, but with a bit more weight, how much weight (and its location) is a "known" and non varying factor..............so why all the guessing ?

Think of it like this, you have a brand new 100% standard Patrol, you get a 2" lift fitted, is it OK for the shop to say 2 inch lift over standard is only a "guess", it may be much less than 2 inches, we don't really know ???

To me, if its not 2 inches, then something is very wrong, or someone is telling lies ?

Off the shelf springs come in a heap of different rates for a reason, load capacity, etc etc, all to suit the same cars (patrols), but with different heights or load capacity, there are many springs to choose from to obtain/retain a 2'' lift, so id have thought a suspension shop that been around for a while, would have the experience to know the correct springs for some extra weight carried, no matter what that weight actually was ?

And if they have to guess on a "Patrol" of all vehicles, then they would be guessing on "everything" less common they fit springs to, it does not sound like a very professional industry, if they don't "know" what the products they supply and fit, will and wont do ?

If you can hold out for a few more weeks I have some calculations that might be able to help, they are predominatly for coil overs, but it is all about spring selection.

Thanks Benny, but my back couldn't take another week with go-kart suspension, so i took yours and Mats, + the suppliers advice, with a bit of my own "guessing" thrown in, and purchased some slightly higher Dobinsons coils, all going to plan, ill fit them tomorrow night.

Gave them a quick measure, its 580mm drivers and 650 passenger. Its on a slope (passenger high) so i will move it tomorrow and re measure it. But its got nearly no gas and probably max 15kg of stuff in the back

I found my original measurements from when i first got it, 610 passenger, and 625 drivers. That was with half a tank of gas and about 30kg of junk in the back. Again that was on a slight slope. My entire yard is on the piss one way or another.

Cool, thanks mate, 600 front and 600+ rear is what i would like, so they sound OK, anyway, as i mentioned above, had a talk with a guy tonight and bought some Dobinsons.

Thanks for your generous offer Lachlan, i appreciate it bud. :beer:

04OFF
16th July 2014, 09:50 PM

Got my new springs in, thinking about changing shocks now , then ill need longer sway bar links .........firkin ell

Anyway, ive gone from probly not, to a definite maybe now Matty. :D

lhurley
16th July 2014, 10:57 PM
Got my new springs in, thinking about changing shocks now , then ill need longer sway bar links .........firkin ell

How are you feeling on the new springs?

megatexture
17th July 2014, 12:47 AM

If your going fixed length can you just extend the ones you have or are you looking at disconnects

04OFF
17th July 2014, 01:32 AM
How are you feeling on the new springs?

Height is better (just after fitting so will have to see if they sag ) only been for a small drive, but seems like a nice balance between comfort and handling, my back is thanking me already (lol)

If your going fixed length can you just extend the ones you have or are you looking at disconnects

Disconnects seem like they could be a hassle ? , rattle on the road, or hard to get the pin back in, wear in the rose joints etc ?

I already run longer commodore link pins, the back may be OK, but the front sway bar does not sit level, do you cut and weld to extend them Troy ?

nissannewby
17th July 2014, 10:21 AM
Height is better (just after fitting so will have to see if they sag ) only been for a small drive, but seems like a nice balance between comfort and handling, my back is thanking me already (lol)

Disconnects seem like they could be a hassle ? , rattle on the road, or hard to get the pin back in, wear in the rose joints etc ?

I already run longer commodore link pins, the back may be OK, but the front sway bar does not sit level, do you cut and weld to extend them Troy ?

Yeah just cut them and use heavy wall tube that will just go over your current pins then weld at your desired length

megatexture
17th July 2014, 10:21 AM
Not sure on the rattling onroad and they cant be any harder than putting the bolt back in
But Thats what I was considering or cutting it and sleeve and weld one end and pin the other to make them disconnect . Its got to be easier then
un bolting them like I do atm.

I took my front sway bar off all together

04OFF
18th July 2014, 11:01 AM
Troy how is your car going now, transfer all fixed ?

Mat, you organising a trip ?

megatexture
18th July 2014, 11:09 AM
Its all apart atm and bit of a mystery whats causing the shudder and they are having trouble finding one with low ks for a transplant so might be looking at a rebuild as alot of the teeth have wear on them

04OFF
18th July 2014, 11:35 AM
Bugger, my guess was not your transfer causing the problem, so i hope im wrong.

Output bearings check out OK ?

nissannewby
18th July 2014, 11:56 AM
Its all apart atm and bit of a mystery whats causing the shudder and they are having trouble finding one with low ks for a transplant so might be looking at a rebuild as alot of the teeth have wear on them

The park brake isn't holding on a touch is it? Has your rear diff ever been out?

nissannewby
18th July 2014, 11:57 AM
Troy how is your car going now, transfer all fixed ?

Mat, you organising a trip ?

Yeah send me a message later on and I will try to remember to post it when I'm at home with the laptop.

megatexture
18th July 2014, 05:32 PM
The park brake isn't holding on a touch is it? Has your rear diff ever been out?

Yea hes checked that and said its fine and will use it with the replacement case as they finnaly tracked down a 2010 with 100 km on it so at this point its just going to be a straight swap.
Also just to rule out the hubs, they will be gutted to be manual on/off but I had already locked them so doubt its them.

megatexture
18th July 2014, 05:41 PM
Bugger, my guess was not your transfer causing the problem, so i hope im wrong.

Output bearings check out OK ?

You thought it was the hubs didnt you?

When I lay under the car driving I tracked it by sound and feel and it was definitely at the transfer, it felt like some one was hitting it with a hammer and sounded like bind up the a clunk as it releases presure.

04OFF
18th July 2014, 10:06 PM
You thought it was the hubs didnt you?

When I lay under the car driving I tracked it by sound and feel and it was definitely at the transfer, it felt like some one was hitting it with a hammer and sounded like bind up the a clunk as it releases presure.

Well, not really, to be honest Troy I don't have a clue, thats why I kept out of it , from my loose memory of the description of the problem at the time, I just remember thinking shaft joints and diff sounded more likely suspect, I guess because from memory, it was a out of balance type of judder/vibration ? ,I guess a main bearing in the transfer could cause this, but to me I just thought else where.

Anyway, like I said, I don't know, and have never heard/felt it first hand , so anything I say is always a guess, I just hope im wrong, and it "is" the transfer, cos that means you will be out on the tracks with us soon.

I would really like it if you and Mat can make it out to LCMP :smile:

megatexture
18th July 2014, 10:51 PM
Well, not really, to be honest Troy I don't have a clue, thats why I kept out of it , from my loose memory of the description of the problem at the time, I just remember thinking shaft joints and diff sounded more likely suspect, I guess because from memory, it was a out of balance type of judder/vibration ? ,I guess a main bearing in the transfer could cause this, but to me I just thought else where.

Anyway, like I said, I don't know, and have never heard/felt it first hand , so anything I say is always a guess, I just hope im wrong, and it "is" the transfer, cos that means you will be out on the tracks with us soon.

I would really like it if you and Mat can make it out to LCMP :smile:

There was a loud squeal that we had developed at the around the time this came about but that was a spacer for the rear diff, It was mashed up and squealing.

I'll be trying to make it mate don't worry about that!

macca86
19th July 2014, 08:46 AM
Sounds like more excuses haha

megatexture
19th July 2014, 09:20 AM
So you can be designated tow car macca lol when sh! T hits the fan the others can go on and you can pull me out to the main drad to get a tow lmao. And with my luck it will happen at the worst bloody time !

macca86
19th July 2014, 09:29 AM
That's if I can actually make it to the right meet up point

Ben-e-boy
19th July 2014, 10:42 AM
That's if I can actually make it to the right meet up point

The meeting point is at cooktown see you there :D