PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on a mk

big_fletch
16th February 2011, 07:25 PM
There is a guy in shep here who might be looking to get rid of a mk wagon (kinda looks like yours finly and same colour too lol), factory turbo diesel, manual and looks in pretty good nick.. don't know much about them except they look tough as Haha.. hopefully going to have a look tomorrow as a car to tinker with and put on the road at some stage.. is there anything I should look out for when I'm around there??
Thanks in advance guys

Fletcha

Finly Owner
16th February 2011, 11:47 PM
Fletch, glad someone trusts me, now I'm in trouble.

Ok look for rust in roof line around rain tracks. Check floors closely, lift mats and use torch underneath and check for rust behind sound deadner etc. Bottoms of doors and tailgates often rust out but can be replaced as good panels are still obtainable. Check door pillars as they do rust out to as do sills. All this rust is due to beach use normally or launching boats, and lack of cleaning after use in wet conditions.

Poly urethane bushes are usually used to replace original rubber bushes and don't last long so check all leaf spring bushes. Pointers in guages are usually heat bent but can be replaced by those in the know. Side rear sliding window frames also suffer rust problems but can be replaced.

Diesels usually need injectors replaced at some time, should be around $420.00 for set. Age is the big thing and how well it's been kept. Some prices you can expect to pay if you need the following. Alternator with built in reg and pump $370.00, Radiator New $380.00. Hardest thing to get is MK taillights (two red and clear) can replace with MQ (red,clear,amber) but need to modify wiring.Full engine rebuild kit $1000.00-$1500.00 depending where you buy from. The kit inc. Sleeves, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets. But hopefully you won't need any of this.

Test drive and look for smoke under load(injectors or over fuelling), smoke idling(rings) smoke on start up(valve guides) steering wheel shake(process of illimination in front suspension) diff winds(serious, minor) and don't forget to check manual hubs lock in.

Hope you not scared off but these are 1986 models and some have been absolutly abused. I have a prime example here, and an example of a cherished MK written off in split second.

Let us know how you go.

You can pay anything from $200.00 - $6000.00 for them depending how good and who is selling it where.

Tim

MQ MAD
17th February 2011, 08:55 AM
Good little speel there Tim

Just add a bit as well
Alternators for 24v MQs are $500 (just for those for interest)
Another major area to check for rust is
Radiator support panel (look down behind grill)
Check the front body mounts in this section as well,and the 2nd body mount area (front floor foot well)
These cars have factory sealer on the floors,so could look good from inside of car,but check from underneath and thoruoghly
IF the car is good and priced well (not a $50 paddick basher)
Squirt some water in the grill forward of the windscreen , then check the front floors for water
IF the floors get wet,there could be rust in the dash/firewall section
These are a a good ol rig,but you wont find a 100 % perfect example for near free

big_fletch
17th February 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks heaps guys, that really helps tons.. shall have a very good look and see how I go

Fletcha

outbackjack
30th April 2011, 01:46 PM
how did you go?;

Finly Owner
30th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks heaps guys, that really helps tons.. shall have a very good look and see how I go

Fletcha
c'mon tell us, well, R U ?

Tim

BenGood
2nd July 2011, 09:00 AM
Also check where the battery/batteries sit. Dunno about other vehicles, but my batteries are being held up by REALLY strong rust. The other spot is the bottom corners of your wheel arches. I had big problems at either end of the sills. I guess you're just gonna have to put your eyes into every nook and cranny of the body, because these things just love to rust whenever they can, but they're cunning machines. They really like to hide the rust aswell. So remember, when you're looking at the vehicle, 60% of its rust is where you can't see it. By taking the time to crawl up into every tiny little space and into every greasy hole, you will save yourself a LOT of heartache down the track. Good call by MQ MAD aswell on the water in front of the windscreen. I have the problem of the internal water feature. :)

You must also bear in mind, that if you do decide to purchase this vehicle, you will become part of what's known in folklore as The High Order!!! This is an unofficial and unmarked group of people who possess something in their arsenal which actually makes you superhuman, and in this case, The MQ/MK Patrol. Once you have this in your possession, you instantly become more attractive, more successful, idolised.... basically you are just looked up to by all others. You see, everyone wants an MQ or an MK, but unfortunately most people know that it comes with the responsibility of having everyone thinking, "oh my god that guy/girl looks AMAZING in that MQ", or "This hill is far too hard to drive up, but wait, here's an MQ driver, he or she will make it up even without tyres bolted on!" You see, this responsibility is far too much for some people, so instead, they buy a GQ or a GU so they can still have some of the glory without having to be a god. (I have no life)

Hope I could be of help.